The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My ability to appear a little more than semi-literate.
Reply 2
What do you mean?
Reply 3
The fact that God could never actually prove that there's not a being 'higher' than him more powerfully concealing itself. Whether he knows about it yet or not.
Reply 4
Ability to subject myself to a gruelling reality check.
Reply 5
The lack of early indoctrination too ...
Reply 6
Lefty Leo
Ability to subject myself to a gruelling reality check.

There are universially recognized thinkers philozofs..That some of them believes God.
So its not a point II think.
Reply 7
Craig_D
The lack of early indoctrination too ...

Yes but I know some people who lacks,believes God after hear some advices from their friends.
Reply 8
jardel32
There are universially recognized thinkers philozofs..That some of them believes God.
So its not a point II think.

Err .. yeah :unsure:

"The third rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first rate mind is only happy when it is thinking".

A.A. Milne
Reply 9
lol at the indoctrination
jus the open mindedness i guess.
If god had a son (jesus) does that mean that god had a father
Reply 10
Lefty Leo
Err .. yeah :unsure:

"The third rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first rate mind is only happy when it is thinking".

A.A. Milne

People can find the answer in time.
The question of whether God could write a song so complex that not even He could play it on Guitar Hero.

It's the philosophical paradoxes like this that drive me towards atheism.

Plus, science.
I think David Attenborough sums up my specific position on God extremely well:

"My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy'."
Reply 13
Half of it was becoming educated...I learned enough to know that God did not exist.

The other half was through personal experiences ie God wouldn't let this happen to someone etc etc.
Reply 14
jardel32
First,we have to listen others opinion respectly,than share,than evoluate ours.
I believe in God,God created this universe.First there was nothing.......I know its too simple.

What are the factors that contribute to your reasons for not believing in Santa Claus? Or Fairies? Or Thor?

Because the reasons you have for that, are the same as my reasons for not believing in your God.

A lack of evidence. A lack of philosophical meaningfulness of the concept of God. A lack of convincing a priori arguments for his existence.
Reply 15
My reason is simply that God is nonsense. There is no God, nor a reason for one, any more than there's an invisible man-eating rabbit sitting in my bedroom now.
I prescribe to the theory that there was never "nothing" or a beginning. There was always space and time is endless.

Any big bang that occcured within it, infact there may be multiple big bangs in the endless space. God is irrelivent, if it exists then no book could speak his word as it would always be written by man. God does exist - if only in our heads the very thought of a god does create a common sense of security even if he is nothing else than thoughts. Nobody will ever know if god has decision making process within him. Therefore I am agnostic.

Might I also add that any god that does exist would never be all merci-full. God is both good and evil.
cookieman
I prescribe to the theory that there was never "nothing" or a beginning. There was always space and time is endless.

Any big bang that occcured within it, infact there may be multiple big bangs in the endless space. God is irrelivent, if it exists then no book could speak his word as it would always be written by man. God does exist - if only in our heads the very thought of a god does create a common sense of security even if he is nothing else than thoughts. Nobody will ever know if god has decision making process within him. Therefore I am agnostic.

Might I also add that any god that does exist would never be all merci-full. God is both good and evil.

Well according to general relativity, time began at the big bang. The big bang was more an explosion of space and time rather than an explosion in space and time.

However this may not be quite true, but we'll have to wait for a theory of quantum gravity to find out.
TableChair
Well according to general relativity, time began at the big bang. The big bang was more an explosion of space and time rather than an explosion in space and time.

However this may not be quite true, but we'll have to wait for a theory of quantum gravity to find out.

I don't really understand how that'd work; if everything was compressed under its own gravity to a minutely minute (infinitely minute point?), time would still pass within it; unless black holes exist outside of time and space?
The ability to break free from the shackles of religion.

Latest

Trending

Trending