English reading list. Watch

Last Summer's Dream
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My books have just arrived for the past and present module. How much has/is everyone planning on reading before term starts? Could you get away with not starting until you're there? Or is it best off to have at least read some of them?
kath...
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
How much has/is everyone planning on reading before term starts?
I've just started (re) reading Genesis and all the bumf that came from the English Dept. Ok, not bumf, crit and analysis, but it feels like bumf. Also going to make a start on Gawain, for the moment! It's a bit late notice to say 'read it all before term' now, especially as I've asked them over and over again what work to do, and they kept telling me to wait until term started and to not worry. Now I'm a bit worried!

I'm also reading the other module stuff that they sent through, and have started the prep for the first seminar.
romeosbitch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't worry, you really aren't meant to have read everything before you start. Make sure you're familiar with genesis although once you get to the "and jack begot jason who begot robert who begot edward" you can kinda skim the rest.

Unless you are going to re-read stuff it's better to have the texts fresh in your memory rather than doing beowulf 3 weeks after you read it.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:ditto:
I personally never read any of the texts until the week of the seminar or lecture in question, as I just found I forgot most of them otherwise and that they weren't fresh enough in my mind for discussion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Sat, 1 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed