The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

I know I thought that.... But I still think its good for people who aren't completely ready to commit.. I think most people would be able to tell if it was the stem causing discomfort rather than the actual cup (well I could so I suppose others probably would)
blinkbelle
That guarantee is crazy; you can only return the cup if you keep 1/2 of the stem. I got rid of the entire stem on my mooncup it was so uncomfortable! Wonder why that's a condition :confused:

It's probably because people might cut too much stem off and regret it, and then just return it and get another one.
I have a question I have a Femmecup and it says not to leave it in for longer than 12hrs...so I sleep with it in then use tampons during the day. Does it mean than i can wear it overnight then remove it then put it back in or is it as I have been doing it?
I would say not leave in more than 12 hours continulously - so overnight, take it out and wash it under some warm water, then you can put it back in. Thats what I do with my mooncup - never had anything go wrong!
FortyTwo25
I have a question I have a Femmecup and it says not to leave it in for longer than 12hrs...so I sleep with it in then use tampons during the day. Does it mean than i can wear it overnight then remove it then put it back in or is it as I have been doing it?

I use a femmecup and just wear it at night then wash it before using it in the day as well. Though unless I'm having a very long sleep it's not generally left in for longer than 9 hours at a time.

Question: does anyone else have trouble with leaks at night, or even in general? I've been using it for almost a year, but still need to wear a normal pad during day and a night one at night with it. Sometimes during the day it works better than other days, but it does always leak at night.
sparklysparkles
I use a femmecup and just wear it at night then wash it before using it in the day as well. Though unless I'm having a very long sleep it's not generally left in for longer than 9 hours at a time.

Question: does anyone else have trouble with leaks at night, or even in general? I've been using it for almost a year, but still need to wear a normal pad during day and a night one at night with it. Sometimes during the day it works better than other days, but it does always leak at night.

Thanks for your reply. I don't leak overnight saying that I think my Cup is quite high
Sephrenia
I would say not leave in more than 12 hours continulously - so overnight, take it out and wash it under some warm water, then you can put it back in. Thats what I do with my mooncup - never had anything go wrong!

Thank you :smile:
Ok so i got a mooncup, after wanting one for ages (i was waiting til i had used up my store of tampons), i got in it fine, walked around a bit, realised the stem was way too long so took it out (with no problems) and cut a bit off, put it back in, cut more off etc.so its about 1cm long. BUT now when i leave it in it seems to move sooo far up, i dont even think the stem would have reached even if i had left it, i can get it out but only after pushing with muscles for aaaages to get the stem anywhere near reach-able! is there any way to stop it going so far in?? It's just so hard to reach...i wish i hadn't been so hasty to cut off the stem, but it was very scratchy and painful...
any ideas??
Reply 508
Anonymous
Ok so i got a mooncup, after wanting one for ages (i was waiting til i had used up my store of tampons), i got in it fine, walked around a bit, realised the stem was way too long so took it out (with no problems) and cut a bit off, put it back in, cut more off etc.so its about 1cm long. BUT now when i leave it in it seems to move sooo far up, i dont even think the stem would have reached even if i had left it, i can get it out but only after pushing with muscles for aaaages to get the stem anywhere near reach-able! is there any way to stop it going so far in?? It's just so hard to reach...i wish i hadn't been so hasty to cut off the stem, but it was very scratchy and painful...
any ideas??

It should go quite far up, but still be reachable. I have completely cut off the stem on mine and I can quite easily reach the base of the cup itself using my finger and thumb. I find relaxing the muscles helps more than pushing because that just tightens the seal. Are you sat down when you try to get it out? (I know that sounds a stupid question, but because of the angle of the body when you sit it is a lot easier to reach) It could just be that you are panicking and tensing more than you realise.
Anonymous
any ideas??

I don't think there's any way to stop it going up that far. I think you'll get used to removing it with a combination of pushing downwards with your muscles and just learning to grab hold of the little bit of stem/base more quickly. And yeah like the person above said, try sitting or crouching when you remove it if you're not already? If you remove it in the shower you can properly crouch.
I use a diva cup.

I started using menstrual cups years ago, and am a bit of a menstrual cup fiend. I've tried the Lunette, the Ladycup, the Moon Cup and the Fleurcup. Some of them come in very pretty colours as well.

The ladycup is soft and squidgy, and comes in several colours. The size small is very small, while the large is a lot bigger. I like this one, but the large is too big for me and the small doesn't hold enough for my heavy periods.

The fleurcup is french, is pretty and comes in colours like lilac and pink. I like it, but it is slightly harder silicone than the Diva or Ladycup.

The Lunette is the one most people on boards seen to like best, but I hate it. It is very stiff so I can feel it inside me. You can get them in a pretty blue colour though.

I find the Moon Cup UK very uncomfortable, it was the first one I used but I wouldn't use it again. It has a pronounced rim which I seem to be able to feel.

I LOVE the Divacup! I know a lot of people find it too long, but if you insert it to just past the pubic bone it is very comfortable. Plus, it is easy to remove all the stem on this one because it has a good grip on the base of the cup. Nice and soft too, and holds a lot.

INSERTION:
Some cups pop open easily, others are more difficult. It took me AGES to get the hang of easy insertion - so much so that when I first had a mooncup I made myself an 'applicator' out of a mini plastic bottle with both ends cut off.

Now, I always use the c-fold, basically just flattening the rim of the cup and folding it in half, then using finger and thumb to put it far enough in before letting go and letting it pop open. It may be that you need to adjust the positioning after it has popped open - I sometimes find I need to push it a bit further up. The diva is very comfortable but doesn't like to open up so well. You can tell when it hasn't because it feels a bit flat when you run your finger around it. You should always do this to check the cup has popped open correctly. You might need to reinsert, but one trick is to run your finger around the cup, move the base in a kind of circling motion and maybe prod the sides of it a bit to try and release the seal. I think this happens with the diva because it is softer and has smaller holes in the rim, but you get the hang of how to deal with it.

STEM REMOVAL:
I always remove the stems as I find them uncomfortable. Once you get the hang of easily removing your cup this should not be a problem.

REMOVING CUP:
I struggled with this at first. I always remove all the stem because I find it uncomfortable, so when I first got a cup - a Mooncup - I found removal hard. In the end, I used a needle to put a piece of strong nylon thread through the solid base bit of the cup and made a string a bit like a tampon. A lot comfier than the silicone stem. Now, I have got the hang of removing any cup without any stem. If you sit on the toilet and 'reach up' inside with finger and thumb while bearing down, you should be able to grasp any cup, even the upper rim with ease. You should also be able to pull it out without spilling everywhere - it is just practice. A twist or pinch to the base can help break the seal.

COST:
At the moment, the cheapest place to buy the Diva and Lady cups is on ebay. The Diva works out at about £12, the Lady often goes for less as an auction. The Diva is sold by some people in Derbyshire on ebay. The others work out at £18-22.

I have extremely heavy periods, and find menstrual cups great because of this - with tampons, even super, I'd be changing them every half hour and often leaking. The cup only leaks when I am extremly heavy, and I tend to use a cloth pantyliner in a pretty pattern as backup - far comfier than plastic - look on etsy for some great ones. On lighter days, I never leak and wouldn't even know I was on my period.

I wear my cup at night together with a pad and just rinse and pop back in in the morning. In fact, I have 2 regular cups I alternate, and I sterilise them in between with a milton tablet popped in an old jam jar. DON'T forget to sterilise them at least once a month. I don't think you should leave it more than 2-3 days without sterilising, really. And if you ever get yeast infections it is even more important. I did once have thrush when I started my period, I only used the cup once and then used pads and although I washed it I forgot to sterilise it, and lo and behold the next month I gave myself another yeast infection. Gross, I know - but milton kills all yeast within 30 seconds.

Overall, they are brilliant - give them a go! If you want links to all the cups, look up 'menstrual cups' on wikipedia.
I've got the implant and hadn't a period for over a year until last November when I got one. It lasted about 6 weeks and halfway through I decided to try a Mooncup but really could not get the hang of it :mad: so I gave up and went back to tampons. I'd cut off about half of the stem but it was poking me and was really painful when I was walking around and I was too scared to cut off the entire stem.

My damn period has now started again so I've tried my Mooncup again - still haven't cut the stem all the way off but I think I am going to tonight. My problem is that I can't get it to go very far up - I *think* my cervix might be quite low and things *down there* are very tight so once I've got the Mooncup in I can't really move it round very much or move it further up. I'm hoping that once I cut the stem off then it won't be so uncomfortable :s-smilie:

I'm still not sure if I'm a Mooncupping convert - I like the convenience of not having to carry period stuff with me everywhere and I've got no problem with emptying it or cleaning it but I just don't feel as clean as I do with tampons. However I know that it is better for me than tampons are so I'm sticking to it for that reason, and also because I'm pretty sure to have about 6 more weeks bleeding and I can leave my Mooncup in for a lot longer.

Did anyone else find it hard to get used to changing from tampons/pads to the Mooncup?
I have a similar problem with it not going all the way up - I tend to keep wiggling it up there, and it does go up further. Also, if you try a slightly different position when you're putting it in it can help =]

I know I feel cleaner with mooncup rather than tampons etc, it's the issues with leaks I had with tampons and it just made me feel horrible, but i rarely leak with my mooncup =] I suppose it was off getting used to it from pads and things, but it's been a while since I did change =P
Any tips for avoiding leaks with the mooncup? I've started getting some :frown:
Make sure that the seal is properly formed and that you don't have a random little fold. Also, check that the little holes are fully clear, if they're blocked you can get leaks...
Sephrenia
Make sure that the seal is properly formed and that you don't have a random little fold. Also, check that the little holes are fully clear, if they're blocked you can get leaks...

I've done that! Hmph. I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong because I read all the tips and things on the website and as far as I know I do everything right! I hate having to wear pads as a back up, it seems to defeat the whole point of the Mooncup! xx
blinkbelle
I've done that! Hmph. I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong because I read all the tips and things on the website and as far as I know I do everything right! I hate having to wear pads as a back up, it seems to defeat the whole point of the Mooncup! xx

Is it at the beginning of your period or randomly? Cos at the beginning I fin I can have some leaks - I think it's just blood thats down too far to be caught by the mooncup just leaking out rather than it escaping the mooncup...
Sephrenia
Is it at the beginning of your period or randomly? Cos at the beginning I fin I can have some leaks - I think it's just blood thats down too far to be caught by the mooncup just leaking out rather than it escaping the mooncup...

Its okay at the start but in the middle-towards the end it starts to leak. Its not alot, just a little but its pretty much constant and means I can't go out without a pad on! xx
This is in response to some of the previous comments, I'm too lazy to quote everything :smile:

Taking a while to switch from tampons to a mooncup: I think it took me 6 months, or maybe longer. I started trying to use the moocup when I was at home, then relying on tampons if I had to go out, so that I didn't have to worry about getting it wrong. I also didn't keep on trying over and over to get the moncup right. If I could't get it right in a couple of attempts, then I'd give up, use a tampon instead, and then try again when I neded to change things. I think doing that helps you keep more relaxed, but gives you a chance to tell what you've done wrong and to try and fix it.

Using pads as backup: I still do this on the first few days. Although it's frustrating, I don't think you should feel too bad about using them while you're still getting settled. I only need them on the first couple of days, because things are a bit enthusiastic and a pad give an extra few minutes to find a loo.

Leaks in general: You could try different angles and different folds, and see what ways work better. The picture in the instruction leaflet isn't really too enlightening. You could be putting it too far up to stop the stem from bothering you, so although I'd discouraging you from just hacking the stem off straight away, if you think it's causing you to put the mooncup too high up, then you could try trimming it a bit.

Feeling clean: I always felt tampons were qite foul, really :p: I'm sure someone suggested taking a little bottle of water with you, so that you can rinse it even if you're in a toilet cubicle without a sink. I don't always use it continuously - after the first couple of days, I'd stop and use a pad for a few hours, then start using it again.

Although it can be a faff to get it right, I do think it's worth persevering with, because if you can learn how get it to work for you, then it's really good :smile: Good luck :smile:
Reply 519
I was thinking of investing in a mooncup, but my periods aren't particularly heavy, and I know a lot of people praise it for dealing with their heavy periods, so is there much point?
Also, i usually use pads, and when I have used tampons in the past, after a while of them being in I start to feel them, like they have come down a bit lower..? anyone else know what I mean? and does this happen with the mooncup?

Quick Reply

Latest