The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Economics first year options help.

I'm about to choose my first year economics options and want to be sure of a couple of things.

I have an A in A-level maths so for semester 1 so far I've selected Statistics for Econ.

The next option says to choose foundations of microeconomics if you haven't done A-level Economics before. I haven't done A-level before but am wondering will this hinder me and is it worth selecting the other module anyway?

Thirdly, for the options modules, why can't you choose any Maths modules? Also how many credits are these? So far I've chosen into to political theory and Financial Accounting 1, but am thinking of changing Financial Accounting 1 to a history modules as I imagine it will be pretty dull. Anyone with any experience of these modules, if nto what did you choose?

Thanks, Ryan.
Reply 1
Heya :wavey:

As far as I've been told, the end result whether you take Econ1001 or Econ1003 is the same, it's just obviously some will have more knowledge (despite being overly simplified) and others will be starting from scratch. If you don't have A-Level Economics, then definitely choose Econ1001.

In regards to the maths modules... I was bitterly disappointed as well. :frown: I emailed the Head of Teaching Programmes and he said there's been a tightening up on quantitative modules and so now everything 'we need to know' will be in the modules taught within the economics division, but to be honest, that didn't quite explain why we can't take modules from the School of Maths anymore. Oh well.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Principles and Foundations are meant to bring both groups to the same level of microeconomics by the end of the semester to enable all to suitably take second year microeconomics modules. Also the Institute of Actuaries give exemptions to both principles and foundations...
Reply 3
Cool, cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

I have to admit, having done first year Maths last year I am not that disappointed not to be able to do any of the modules this year lol, but I wanted to do a module so that I would find the MAths for economics easier.

Cheers, Ryan.
montyr
Cool, cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

I have to admit, having done first year Maths last year I am not that disappointed not to be able to do any of the modules this year lol, but I wanted to do a module so that I would find the MAths for economics easier.

Cheers, Ryan.
Yeah, tell me about it. I'm glad they made this change for all your benefits :p: I got destroyed by Linear Algebra I in first year when we were still able to change, but you are right that it helps with Economics because it basically covered a 1/3 of Maths for Economics in the second semester! Perhaps this is one of the contributing reasons they made this rule - too much overlap.
Reply 5
hey guys,i am taking eco 1001 now and i heard that the text book is compulsory to read?
do you think it's sufficient if i only use the lecture notes?
besides that,i am looking for the 2nd handed book for this if it's really need,is anyone selling?
its' Perloff,Microeconomics 5th international edition
Reply 6
There's the book sale tomorrow in the Murray building, otherwise you could get it off Amazon. That's what I intend to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending