The Student Room Group

Should I pick Economics or Psychology for A-levels?

I'm about to go into year 12 and although I applied for Maths, Chem and economics a-levels, I'm having second thoughts about economics. I don't know whether i should pick between economics which is useful or psychology which is interesting. Please can someone help me or share their view of how they find any of these subjects.

Pros of economics: its pretty useful and its a more objective, logical subject which I'm generally better at
Cons of econ: I'm not really interested in it, in fact i found the taster lesson quite dull especially cuz its discussion based but i didn't really know much about the economy and stuff so couldn't participate

pros of psychology: i find it really interesting and i will be more likely to enjoy it
cons of psychology: its very content heavy and requires A LOT of memorization which I'm really not good at ( i did history gcse and although i loved the content, memorizing key dates and stuff was a nightmare)

Please help me out I'm really stressed because of the possibility that ill pick the wrong one.
Original post by jajaja768
I'm about to go into year 12 and although I applied for Maths, Chem and economics a-levels, I'm having second thoughts about economics. I don't know whether i should pick between economics which is useful or psychology which is interesting. Please can someone help me or share their view of how they find any of these subjects.

Pros of economics: its pretty useful and its a more objective, logical subject which I'm generally better at
Cons of econ: I'm not really interested in it, in fact i found the taster lesson quite dull especially cuz its discussion based but i didn't really know much about the economy and stuff so couldn't participate

pros of psychology: i find it really interesting and i will be more likely to enjoy it
cons of psychology: its very content heavy and requires A LOT of memorization which I'm really not good at ( i did history gcse and although i loved the content, memorizing key dates and stuff was a nightmare)

Please help me out I'm really stressed because of the possibility that ill pick the wrong one.

hey i’m going into year 12 too so i haven’t experienced them but i’m doing economics and psychology lol. i suggest going for the one u would find more interesting as u will be more passionate about doing well. however if u don’t see urself in a job related to psychology maybe not the best option. would love to hear ur choice once u make one :smile:
Economics isn't any more 'useful' than psychology in terms of opening up uni options. Neither of them are required for their respective degrees.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
If I'm being honest being interested and genuinely enjoying a subject will help u get much further than you think. Doing a whole a level you have no interest in? I couldn't. Think about how much time your going to have to spend in lesson and all the studying outside of lesson?
Personally, when I saw amount of content for psychology it was daunting at first but it's a subject that I've grown to enjoy which helps me excel in it.
Whilst it does require a lot of memorisation it's a respected subject as theres a lot of essay writing, to do with debate and evaluation whilst also showing u can work scientifically and look at theories and research :smile:

At the end of the day you can always go with one subject see how it goes for the first few weeks of sixth form but I'd highly recommend maybe looking at the specification and seeing what you'll actually be learning about in your lessons to help you decide

Quick Reply

Latest