The Student Room Group

Is this a good choice of references for my postgraduate application

Hi,

I'm applying to a university for their MSc Economics and Finance programme. My bachelor's degree is in physics, but this MSc course does not require an undergraduate economics degree as a pre-requisite. The application requires two references, where one must be academic. My options are as follows:

I took two, two-term, for-credit economics modules in my second and third year specifically. I got an overall grade of 72% and 75% for them respectively, so I have already contacted my third year professor and he has agreed to provide a reference.

Now my options are, the 2nd year economics professor, or my BSc project (dissertation) supervisor, or my BSc project (dissertation) assessor. My dissertation was based around applying a physics/mathematical framework to financial modelling, so it is also a nice thing to talk about for this MSc application. I hadn't spoken to my dissertation supervisor as often as is probably expected and he wasn't the person who marked it. I met the dissertation advisor once, as we have to deliver a viva/defense of our project. However, he was also the one to grade my dissertation (and I got a good grade in it).

Are these all good options for my references (and if so, are there any which might be more appropriate in particular) or should I be looking for other professors/lecturers?
The best references are ones who are familiar with you on a personal level & have seen you academically in some way (and would give you a positive reference)

Personal tutors/ dissertation advisor’s/multiple modules/one you’ve had 1 to 1 engagement with...

Generally I wouldn’t overthink it, university staff understand students need references and will generally help if they can (although always check with then first & notify them when you do an application .. bare in mind this is sometimes a tedious activity for the referee’s or they have to squeeze it in when they have time).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending