The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL OCR A2 Biology - F214 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140

(a) a large total oxygen store relative to body size, and (b) parsimonious use of blood oxygen due to the lowered energy requirements of various organs. During long dives, some organs deplete their oxygen stores, become predominately dependent on anaerobic metabolism, and build up large quantities of lactate

a) lung capacity essentially
b) lower metabolic rate
c) anaerobic respiration

however, explain why you can't stay underwater for longer than 2 minutes until your lungs beg for oxygen and water floods into them instead.

Because your brain needs oxygen irrelevant of how much energy your body can supply to it or how much lactic acid you can produce. Thats what makes swimming a lot more difficult that running. yet running you could probably produce more lactic acid due to oxygen debt.
HotCoco.
Maybe! But if the liver doesnt work then the insulin can bind to receptors on the muscle cells?

The muscle cells can't convert glucose to glycogen can it?
Gemmer
Lack of exercise and obesity are linked. So maybe not? :P

Obesity can be a genetic inheritance. :yep:
There is still some dispute on whether the right answer for that percentage thing is 17% or 6.1%.. we need someone who is 100% sure to confirm!!!
Reply 2144
Type 1 diabetes? Is that the one where pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin?
Why do I get the feeling the seal pictures were there for a reason that everyone overlooked?
And the percentage one I got 17.9 so did the other 6 people who were with me. As it was talking about the percentage of PLASMA
Oh well this paper went hard ass good <_< typical ocr =) wooty
good luck to all with chem or whatever i got my wjec physics to nail on.
Lol seal.
Reply 2147
InvoluntarySlacker
Can alcohol abuse cause diabetes? Cirrhosis means liver cells can't function properly and convert glucose to glycogen.

Apparently..

"Alcohol abuse is the cause of 80% of cases of chronic pancreatitis and around 1 in 3 people with chronic pancreatitis develop diabetes. "

So yes.
aimz08
Where immune system beat the hell outta the beta cells :frown:
hello guys that paper was very nice and easy! :P partly because of the revision i did in here.
InvoluntarySlacker
The muscle cells can't convert glucose to glycogen can it?

Target cells for insulin: hepatocytes, muscle cells and other body cells (inc. the brain!) Glucose can be metabolised by the respiring cells.
aimz08

Yep, beta cells are destroyed by an autoimmune disease.
Hi guys :smile:

I thought the paper was not ridiculously difficult, but alot of the questions were not simply based on the recall of facts.
There were a lot of 'suggest' questions-but then again, getting marks on these is usually easy to do, as anything that you 'suggest' that is reasonable and puts the biology into context will get you the mark.

As to the seal question I put:
-It has large lungs, so has greater oxygen reserve, needs to come up less often.
-It has PH buffers which prevent fatugue occuring due to possible build up of lactate due to anaerobic respiration occuring.
-Can produce large amounts of ATP by using other respiratory substrates, such as fatty acids stored in blubber.

Something else, but can't remember.

The glycolysis question was definately:

ATP
NAD
pyruvate

As to factors that increase chances of diabetes type 2, I put:

Hypertension, A diet high in carbohydrates and refined sugars, being afrocaribean of orgin/other heriditary factors.

But could have also put Obesity, lack of exercise, high alcohol intake, stress, smoking...

Theres alot, so i wouldn't worry on that question.
Reply 2153
HotCoco.
Obesity can be a genetic inheritance. :yep:

:L true
Remarqable M
hello guys that paper was very nice and easy! :P partly because of the revision i did in here.

:eek3:
can anyone tell me the answers / what they put and thought was right for the folling questions :
1) over simplification of respiration formula
2) precautions for photosynthesis experiment
3) why nerve cells cease at high temperature
4) tissue lining PCT

this would be very helpful! very very very unhappy.

ALSO SOMEONE SAY WHAT THE GRADE BOUNDARIES ARE LIKELY TO BEE
MasterJomi
Lol seal.

LOL AT THE PICTURE I AM STILL LOLING SO HARD.

:biggrin:
We Need Someone To Post The Paper Up And All The Asnwers!!!!! Come Onn:tongue:
for the percentage question i got 56% which is correct as you know from my past paper we had this kind of question
Realistically, how many marks do you think you lost going through this thread. I'll say about 12.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending