The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Paulwhy
source?

http://www.bath.ac.uk/economics/ug/placement-year.htm

Heres a link with a list of companies which frequently provide bath students with placement years:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/economics/ug/placements.html
Son14ka

My grades are

6 Astars in igcses 1 A in O level 1 A in igcse 1 B in Olevel 1 Bin igcse

4 As in chemistry maths economics history

took FM AS this year....

With grades like that, if you did really want to do a placement year bath pretty much is your best option. Universities like Surrey are good but for a person of your grades you should not go that low (i.e if you went to a better university its probably better than having the one year in industry.) Also I just remembered that Durham do a placement year but it is not as established as the one in bath (and probably doesn't have the same links with companies as bath does) and i don't think many students do it (I may be wrong though).
Reply 22
Thank you for reply, do you know anything about Lancaster or Aston?
I have never been to Bath, but to be honest i prefer more busy places, so i am not sure if i will like living there

I am still not sure is it worth applying to cambridge, although according to Paulwhy for example it is relatively easier than to get an offer from LSE...

goian123434
With grades like that, if you did really want to do a placement year bath pretty much is your best option. Universities like Surrey are good but for a person of your grades you should not go that low (i.e if you went to a better university its probably better than having the one year in industry.) Also I just remembered that Durham do a placement year but it is not as established as the one in bath (and probably doesn't have the same links with companies as bath does) and i don't think many students do it (I may be wrong though).
Reply 23
University of Exeter L102 is Economics with 1 year industrial experience
Reply 24
Imperial.
Son14ka
Thank you for reply, do you know anything about Lancaster or Aston?
I have never been to Bath, but to be honest i prefer more busy places, so i am not sure if i will like living there

I am still not sure is it worth applying to cambridge, although according to Paulwhy for example it is relatively easier than to get an offer from LSE...

Well what Paulwhy means by it being easier applying to cambridge is that you are almost guaranteed an interview if you have good grades and at the interview you can sell yourself to the interviewer. This gives an extra selection criteria. Whereas at LSE they dont have interviews so due to this they only have your grades, personal statement and references to go on, this means that often the people at LSE require very high grades for an offer.

Lancaster and Aston are both reasonable universities, but i dont think aston does straight economics. For a person with your grades you should be aiming for top 10 in TAELT with one back up choice of 10-15 on TAELT. Neither Lancaster or Aston are in the top 15 unis for economics.

Btw I have been to bath on a open day and even though its small for a city it is relatively busy and Bristol is just 10 minute on the train apparently.
Reply 26
Son14ka
I am taking same ones : Economics, maths, history, chemistry predicted 2A*s 2 As ( i need to reconfirm this) and I also took FM AS this year outside school since mine does not offer it

Are the A* in Maths and Economics?

Son14ka
Personally I liked studying mostly macroeconomic policies ( i read Hayek the road to serfdom and i really liked his liberal theory ) I also like the idea of how you can use maths and apply it to social problems?

That could be a good book reference to use.

Son14ka
i need to figure out how to phrase it though.. I am appying on monday and i am so stressed that i need to totally re do my PS since it is an economic essay about different economic systems :s-smilie:?

Read The Good Econ PS guide.
The deadline is 15th October so you have a few more days.

Son14ka
also shall i include that i studied russian classical literature and psychology outside school?

Do 1 sentence on each.
Reply 27
goian123434
Well what Paulwhy means by it being easier applying to cambridge is that you are almost guaranteed an interview if you have good grades and at the interview you can sell yourself to the interviewer. This gives an extra selection criteria. Whereas at LSE they dont have interviews so due to this they only have your grades, personal statement and references to go on, this means that often the people at LSE require very high grades for an offer..

Yes: this is what I tried to explain in the FAQ at the end of the first TAELT post.

goian123434
Lancaster and Aston are both reasonable universities, but i dont think aston does straight economics.

Yes

goian123434
For a person with your grades you should beaiming for top 10 in TAELT with one back up choice of 10-15 on TAELT.

Yes

goian123434
Neither Lancaster or Aston are in the top 15 unis for economics.

Yes

goian123434
Btw I have been to bath on a open day and even though its small for a city it is relatively busy and Bristol is just 10 minute on the train apparently.

I come from Bristol and I would have thought it would be a bit longer than that.
Reply 28
O-Ren
Imperial.

But they don't do economics.

goian123434

Heres a link with a list of companies which frequently provide bath students with placement years:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/economics/ug/placements.html

The list looks complete: does not look like they are just cherry picking the best placements.

The critical bit is for me:
. Students are not expected to find placements on their own

Reply 29
Paulwhy
Are the A* in Maths and Economics?

That could be a good book reference to use.

Read The Good Econ PS guide.
The deadline is 15th October so you have a few more days.

Do 1 sentence on each.

I need to reconfirm economics but its maths and history

Paulwhy can u please please give me some indication where i should apply with those grades Times ratings say 1 thing, some information here says another, i have never even been to UK so i dont know what to choose ...so confusing
Reply 30
Paulwhy
But they don't do economics.

:o: sorry I only look at thread titles I never really notice what forum they are in.
Reply 31
Son14ka

6 Astars in igcses 1 A in O level 1 A in igcse 1 B in Olevel 1 Bin igcse

4 As in chemistry maths economics history

took FM AS this year....

I need to reconfirm economics but its maths and history

You are fine outside the top 11 as you have grade A Maths and Economics (A* Maths).
By Top 11 standards:
Weaknesses
i) 6 IGCSE A*s (LSE like 9)
ii) 4 AS-levels

Neutral
i)Economics A
ii) FM AS
iii)4 A-levels

Strengths
i)2 A* prediction including Maths.

What are module %s like?

Son14ka

Paulwhy can u please please give me some indication where i should apply with those grades Times ratings say 1 thing, some information here says another, i have never even been to UK so i dont know what to choose ...so confusing

Well TAELT is primarily about how competitive different unis are to get into.
Conversely Newspaper League Tables are each ranked using different 'arbitary' weights on different criterea: some input and some output. Times Newspaper publisched the first table but their table is no longer the most respected: e.g. for economics it has 76% of their students getting graduate level jobs but 89.3% student satisfaction. So that is (atleast) 13.3% of Exeter Economics students who don't get a proper job but are satisfied.
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Economics&x=38&y=11&sub=22

The people who used to produce The Time table now work for The Independent Table. And Interestingly enough The TAELT top 11 is the same as The Independent top 11 (although in a different order):
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=8727

I don't know if you have non-UK uni options or backup gap year plans?
If not then I suggest an AAB.2.1 safety option (York, Southampton, Birmingham) who are certain to make an offer. And then 4 of the top 11. Maybe 2/3 of the top 5 and 2/1 of the next 6.

In terms of finding out what different unis are like check out the wikipedia entries and the TSR uni specific forums.
Reply 32
Paulwhy
You are fine outside the top 11 as you have grade A Maths and Economics (A* Maths).
By Top 11 standards:
Weaknesses
i) 6 IGCSE A*s (LSE like 9)
ii) 4 AS-levels
iii) 3 A-levels.

Neutral
i)Economics A
ii) FM AS

Strengths
i)2 A* prediction including Maths.

What are module %s like?

Well TAELT is primarily about how competitive different unis are to get into.
Conversely Newspaper League Tables are each ranked using different 'arbitary' weights on different criterea: some input and some output. Times Newspaper publisched the first table but their table is no longer the most respected: e.g. for economics it has 76% of their students getting graduate level jobs but 89.3% student satisfaction. So that is (atleast) 13.3% of Exeter Economics students who don't get a proper job but are satisfied.
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Economics&x=38&y=11&sub=22

The people who used to produce The Time table now work for The Independent Table. And Interestingly enough The TAELT top 11 is the same as The Independent top 11 (although in a different order):
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=8727

I don't know if you have non-UK uni options or backup gap year plans?
If not then I suggest an AAB.2.1 safety option (York, Southampton, Birmingham) who are certain to make an offer. And then 4 of the top 11. Maybe 2/3 of the top 5 and 2/1 of the next 6.

In terms of finding out what different unis are like check out the wikipedia entries and the TSR uni specific forums.

No I have to apply this year to UK only.

Sorry but I mentioned that I am taking 4 subjects to A2 not 3...

So you think I am safe enough to try to pick 3 unis from top 5? :smile:

Thanks for the ratings. By the way, i didn't quite understand you didn't quite like the economics course in Bath due to its year in industry? You think its much better to not to choose uni with 1 year gaining work expreiance?
Reply 33
Son14ka
No I have to apply this year to UK only.

Sorry but I mentioned that I am taking 4 subjects to A2 not 3...

Sorry my bad.
Corrected above.

Son14ka
So you think I am safe enough to try to pick 3 unis from top 5? :smile:

Well you need to apply to places you want to go. And whilst it is a bit easier to get offers from the 6-11 unis it is still not easy. So either (2,2) or (3,1) would be reasonable.

Son14ka
Thanks for the ratings.

You are welcome.

Son14ka
By the way, i didn't quite understand you didn't quite like the economics course in Bath due to its year in industry? You think its much better to not to choose uni with 1 year gaining work expreiance?

I don't think I am saying that. I am not against Bath because it has the (optional) placement year. I just don't think it is of great value. e.g. I would have thought high quality students would get summer placements anyway that would be of high value. So I am not sure they would gain that much from taking the extra year at uni.

But Bath is a very nice place (I come from Bristol which is 20 miles away So I have visited it many times). Roman history. Very beautiful buildings made with local stone. So I think it would be a nice place to live for 3 (or 4 :biggrin:) years.
Reply 34
Paulwhy
Sorry my bad.
Corrected above.

Well you need to apply to places you want to go. And whilst it is a bit easier to get offers from the 6-11 unis it is still not easy. So either (2,2) or (3,1) would be reasonable.

You are welcome.

I don't think I am saying that. I am not against Bath because it has the (optional) placement year. I just don't think it is of great value. e.g. I would have thought high quality students would get summer placements anyway that would be of high value. So I am not sure they would gain that much from taking the extra year at uni.

But Bath is a very nice place (I come from Bristol which is 20 miles away So I have visited it many times). Roman history. Very beautiful buildings made with local stone. So I think it would be a nice place to live for 3 (or 4 :biggrin:) years.

Paul, you know also the fact that I took O levels in biology and english which do not have A stars, will this be taken into account by LSE? As it likes a fixed number of A stars... also if i got B in olevel would this be by ANY possible chance regarded as A in gcse ( just wondering) ?
Reply 35
Son14ka
Paul, you know also the fact that I took O levels in biology and english which do not have A stars, will this be taken into account by LSE? As it likes a fixed number of A stars... also if i got B in olevel would this be by ANY possible chance regarded as A in gcse ( just wondering) ?

I did notice your O-level grade A and IGCSE grade A. I am not sure how they compare to GCSE A*s. But even in a best case scenario where grade A O-level and grade A IGCSE are regarded as good as GCSE A*s by LSE, that still totals to 6+2=8. And 8<9. So whilst 9 is not a hard level, I think you might be a bit short for LSE. However you should apply to LSE as one of your 5 (alongside Cambridge) you just need some easier to get into places as well.
Reply 36
Paulwhy
I did notice your O-level grade A and IGCSE grade A. I am not sure how they compare to GCSE A*s. But even in a best case scenario where grade A O-level and grade A IGCSE are regarded as good as GCSE A*s by LSE, that still totals to 6+2=8. And 8<9. So whilst 9 is not a hard level, I think you might be a bit short for LSE. However you should apply to LSE as one of your 5 (alongside Cambridge) you just need some easier to get into places as well.

Paulwhy, would it be a very bad choice if i would apply to queen mary uni with my grades?
Reply 37
Son14ka
Paulwhy, would it be a very bad choice if i would apply to queen mary uni with my grades?

I think so yes. :smile:
Reply 38
Paulwhy
I think so yes. :smile:

OK, I just thought to pick it as a 5th choice.. I heard it has good employability levels?
Reply 39
Son14ka
OK, I just thought to pick it as a 5th choice.. I heard it has good employability levels?

Where did you hear that from?

Latest

Trending

Trending