The Student Room Group

I got 61.5% in my 2nd year, can I still get a 1st?

My university weighs second year at 25% and 75% for final year. I finished with 61.5% and then I had a year out on placement. I have looked at my modules in this first semester, and I am 90% confident that I can average around 70-73% this year because of the feedback I have received on my assignments so far. I have NO EXAMS all year, just assignments. My university will also consider anything 68% and above for a 1st. If I smash my dissertation I feel like I could get that to apply to me if need be. I am going to try my best regardless, but is it possible to get a 1st overall?
Mathematically, yes, but you'd need to average 71% over your final year modules which is a big jump.

Only you know what went wrong in year 2 and whether that's feasible.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Mathematically, yes, but you'd need to average 71% over your final year modules which is a big jump.

Only you know what went wrong in year 2 and whether that's feasible.

Yeah that is a fair comment, I feel like I have the formula to doing well. I guess I will have to reassess after seeing my grade for semester 1
Reply 3
I'm in a similar position, I got around 62% in my second year but my second year is weighted slightly more than yours. Mathematically, it's definitely possible but I think it's important to remember that you don't need a first, and a 2:1 is still a really good grade. Also with a placement, if you're planning on going back into that same industry, the experience you've got over that year will definitely help a lot with graduate jobs.

So it's possible, but definitely not the end of the world if you don't get a first and it's not worth stressing yourself out an unhealthy amount over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending