The Student Room Group

What do I say about my grades when applying for placements?

I got 69.92% for my first year grade. I am looking to apply for a placement year after my second year. When applying for these jobs, how do I refer to my first year grade? Do I write the percentage I got, the grade that the percentage corresponds to (so 2:1 in this case) or do I write a 'predicted grade'.

The predicted grade thing sounds kind of bs but I've heard that you call your first year grade your predicted grade when applying to internships.
Reply 1
Original post by Ollyssss
I got 69.92% for my first year grade. I am looking to apply for a placement year after my second year. When applying for these jobs, how do I refer to my first year grade? Do I write the percentage I got, the grade that the percentage corresponds to (so 2:1 in this case) or do I write a 'predicted grade'.

The predicted grade thing sounds kind of bs but I've heard that you call your first year grade your predicted grade when applying to internships.

To be frank, unless the person going through applications happens to have finished their degree in the last couple of years, your grade or percentage is pretty meaningless. They are more interested in what your skills are, what your qualities, goals and ambitions as well as what you hope to get from the placement. How passionate are you for example? So on your applications, put 70% down as you 1st year grade and focus on your qualities.

Good luck!

Hey there @Ollyssss !
I've just started my sandwich placement year and when it came to applying, to be honest I didn't put any grades down. I gave a brief overview to my course and included my CV which has my A Levels and GCSE results already on it. Out of all the placements I applied for, I don't think any of them asked me how I was doing in university so I wouldn't include this information unless they ask for it. If they ask for it, I'd give an average grade of what you're getting at the moment. I personally wouldn't rely on your first year grade as your predicted grade because it doesn't count towards your degree. So let's say first year you're flying through it and getting all 1sts, then second year onwards you've got personal circumstances that means you're not performing your best, first year grades might not be an accurate representation of the grades you're going to come out with. I'd maybe refer to how your progress is going in second year, but like I say only if they ask.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

You typically don't need to put down your exact mark of different years on your job applications, plus your first year doesn't count towards your final classification, therefore it can't really seen to be a predicted grade.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending