The Student Room Group

Anyone from Altrincham Grammar School for Boys or Loreto College (Manchester)?

If anyone on this forum is from Altrincham Grammar School for Boys or Loreto College (Manchester), could I please ask you to share your experience of the college? Please be truthful as deciding on a college is very important for me and I do not want to read biased posts.
Under experience I mean; Is the college good? What about the facilities? Space and classroom size? How many pupils in each class (On average) and other things that you may think of. Many thanks for all who reply.
Reply 1
I'm new to AGSB. i have to say it is quite nice. all the guys here are pretty smart, and each class has anything up to 30 (depending on subject). there are loads of oppotunities available, altho AGSG feels a bit better when i went there. the choice is absoultely personal. Loreto would be more laid back, but AGSB will require you to work very hard.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying. What kind of opportunities? Do they have after school clubs? Badminton or tennis facilities available? Is there enough space as it is a sixth form built into the school? Does it have a canteen? I am really sorry to be bombarding you with questions, but this decision is very important for me. Many thanks.
Reply 3
Sorry. Been away for a bit.
AGSB has MANY oppotunities:
Gold DofE, EESE if you want to do engineering, Medical Society for those doing medicine, you can get involved in pretty much anything and everything here!

Canteen is something we never use. It's for lower schools, when buying stuff we buy from sixth form common room (pay with cash) or go out into Altrincham or Hale like most people.
Reply 4
quote me if you want a reply
Reply 5
Thanks very much for your reply, I have not been on the forums for some time as well. Does the college enforce a compulsory uniform that 6th formers have to wear? Does the 6th form have any tennis or badminton courts/or are there any nearby?
Gold DofE
^^^^^ Do you need to have done the bronze/silver DofE before doing the Gold?

Was it hard to get into the 6th form? If you know, how many people apply for 1 place at the college? If it is not too personal, what were your GCSE results?
Reply 6
Elite_Spetsnaz
Thanks very much for your reply, I have not been on the forums for some time as well. Does the college enforce a compulsory uniform that 6th formers have to wear? Does the 6th form have any tennis or badminton courts/or are there any nearby? ^^^^^ Do you need to have done the bronze/silver DofE before doing the Gold?

Was it hard to get into the 6th form? If you know, how many people apply for 1 place at the college? If it is not too personal, what were your GCSE results?

Wow... haven't checked this for timeeee!
No you don't. You can start gold straight away. I'm prolly not doing it - too much hassle. Loreto has no uniform, but AGS - it's business suit + school tie. Tennis courts is on the school grounds, badminton, i don't think so.
Reply 7
Wow, by some epically craaaazy chance AGSB accepted me :woo: :eek3: :eek: even though I am an external candidate.... Am just speechless... Anyway, (I am also bringing this thread back to life lol) I also wanted to ask (since i now might be going there), how the lesson structure works there. Are there free periods? How many periods and for how long are they? They dont have to be definite answers, but just so i can get a gist of the day there.... Many, many thanks.
Reply 8
First of all, congratz. They've shaken up the admissions slightly, so they actually kick the underachievers out, and get the more capable candidates in. Everyone in my sets in my subject are all mostly quite talented at that subject. they let in 12 new guys last year, and I was one of them :smile: (1 of 3 chinese guys haha!)

As for your frees, and stuff, it depends on your subject choices. Each period is 1hr long. Typical day is: 2 lessons, break, lesson, lunch, 2 lessons. School starts at 8:45, finishes at 3:25. You're allowed to go home in the afternoon if you're free, in year 13, and in year 12, you're only allowed to go after period 4.

during your free, you're allowed to go volunteering if you have break or lunch either side of it. Otherwise you have to go 'private study'. Only in year 13 are you allowed to go into the common room during frees to get food, play on the xbox 360, game cube, or frusbal tables.

The time table is fortnightly, and year 12s have a compulsory 'Games' lesson (which is basically PE, except you can go volunteering if you wish) every week. They also have a compulsory 'Key Skills' lesson every week which is General Studies before January, and UCAS stuff afterwards. You should find the people here to be generally welcoming, it's also a massive school. It took me a while to get orientated.

I have 2 frees every week. I'd get more if I didn't take further maths.

If you do come, feel free to come and say hi to me :P I'll be in year 13 this coming september.

Good luck! And I hope that has helped.
Reply 9
Ermm... This is kind of a random question, but this will help me prepare for future... Do you guyz have MEI as your exam board for 'further maths'? Coz the normal 'maths' a-level board is likely to be the same... Another q, is there a set p.e. uniform or is it just own clothes? Many thanks again.
Reply 10
Further maths and normal maths exam boards are the same - edexcel
Games is own clothes in sixth form.

Latest

Trending

Trending