The Student Room Group

Loreto or Xaverian- URGENT!!

Hi, im a year 11 student and im conflicted between enrolling in Loreto or Xaverian. I’m applying for bio,chem and sociology and I have fairly high predicted grades, its just the distance. It takes me 1hr 30mins to get to both. Is it better to go to a sixth form close to me? Theres only one goof sixth form close but its attached to a school and doesnt have that much support or clubs. I heard loreto are more structured and give you more academic support with resources like booklets whereas xavs just dont. Does anyone know if this is true? Would anyone that goes to either be able to tell me their experience studying there especially those who study the subjects i wanna do? Thanks!
(edited 3 months ago)
an hour and thirty?? You are going to be so exhausted honestly but its up to you if you think you can do it
Reply 2
Original post by Intrepiful989
an hour and thirty?? You are going to be so exhausted honestly but its up to you if you think you can do it

i go to an extremely underperforming secondary school (on the verge of shutting down after i leave) and we aren't going to learn all of the gcse content, so i really wanna pick a good sixth form. there's only really good one near me but it's attached to a school so idk which i should opt for 😭 decided im not going xavs, but now idk between loreto and the one close to mee
Original post by amyas7690
i go to an extremely underperforming secondary school (on the verge of shutting down after i leave) and we aren't going to learn all of the gcse content, so i really wanna pick a good sixth form. there's only really good one near me but it's attached to a school so idk which i should opt for 😭 decided im not going xavs, but now idk between loreto and the one close to mee

What are your concerns about the sixth form being attached to a school ?
Reply 4
What are your concerns about the sixth form being attached to a school ?

I heard its better to go to a sixth form college since they pay more attention to the students than secondary 6th forms, as their main focus is the 6th for students and not gcse students. Loreto has more extracurriculars and oxbridge success than the secondary 6th form too, so idk 🤷*♀️
I heard its better to go to a sixth form college since they pay more attention to the students than secondary 6th forms, as their main focus is the 6th for students and not gcse students. Loreto has more extracurriculars and oxbridge success than the secondary 6th form too, so idk 🤷*♀️

As someone in their sevond year at loreto. Don't fall for the trap. It's basically all a lie. A lot of my friends have said the same. We thought loreto would be hetter as they have better outcomes, but it's because of how selective they are that they have these better outcomes. First off, that bus is a fight for your life. Everyday, we are packed into the bus, no space to move or breathe, especially on the way to picadilly gardens. Its horror, people can't even get off the bus and we all have to get off to pet people off. It's also really bad with student support, and the most they will do is suggest to make a study skills appointment, which is making a timetable, which isn't for everyone. Some teachers are good, but the bad ones are so bad. They just care about being on schedule with their plan. The food is bad, so i just go asda to get food. It's just overall nothing like i was told i would have. They also basically gave us a script to tell ofstead, but i won't go further. Overall just shattered my view of the school, I thought i would get support and be going to a good school. And if you are travelling 1hour and 30, its NOT worth it. That travel will kill you. I travel 1 hour by bus, when it's a 15 min car ride. Traffic is crazy, and because busses get filled with students, you will have to wait for another bus, it's just not worth it. I constantly fall asleep from the bus ride, and it's just too stressful. It looks like loreto does really well, but it's all the student's hard work. And I went to a really bad highschool, and I found the support 1000x times better. Save yourself while you can, i regret not going xaverian, my friends go there and the support and teaching is better. Hope this helps, any questions, just ask

I see. If you aiming for oxbridge i do think loreto would be better. However the transport could leave you very tired though!
Original post by Pink turtles
As someone in their sevond year at loreto. Don't fall for the trap. It's basically all a lie. A lot of my friends have said the same. We thought loreto would be hetter as they have better outcomes, but it's because of how selective they are that they have these better outcomes. First off, that bus is a fight for your life. Everyday, we are packed into the bus, no space to move or breathe, especially on the way to picadilly gardens. Its horror, people can't even get off the bus and we all have to get off to pet people off. It's also really bad with student support, and the most they will do is suggest to make a study skills appointment, which is making a timetable, which isn't for everyone. Some teachers are good, but the bad ones are so bad. They just care about being on schedule with their plan. The food is bad, so i just go asda to get food. It's just overall nothing like i was told i would have. They also basically gave us a script to tell ofstead, but i won't go further. Overall just shattered my view of the school, I thought i would get support and be going to a good school. And if you are travelling 1hour and 30, its NOT worth it. That travel will kill you. I travel 1 hour by bus, when it's a 15 min car ride. Traffic is crazy, and because busses get filled with students, you will have to wait for another bus, it's just not worth it. I constantly fall asleep from the bus ride, and it's just too stressful. It looks like loreto does really well, but it's all the student's hard work. And I went to a really bad highschool, and I found the support 1000x times better. Save yourself while you can, i regret not going xaverian, my friends go there and the support and teaching is better. Hope this helps, any questions, just ask

OMG.
OMG.

I said the truth, and what I wish i knew before attending.
Reply 9

Thank you so much for telling me this as I had no idea about this. Just curious but what subjects do you study?
Reply 10
OMG.

Fr omg I was so surprised when I read it
Reply 11
Honestly I went to loreto and knew a guy who travelled 2 hours and did 4 a levels he ended up getting into Oxford in the end, if you are looking to apply to competitive universities or even competitive courses I would recommend loreto. Its just about how you manage your time, and if you think you can handle it.
Reply 12

this sounds horrible, what buses do people take?
Reply 13
Original post by Dedow
Honestly I went to loreto and knew a guy who travelled 2 hours and did 4 a levels he ended up getting into Oxford in the end, if you are looking to apply to competitive universities or even competitive courses I would recommend loreto. Its just about how you manage your time, and if you think you can handle it.

Flipping hell 2 hours?! 🤯
Reply 14
Flipping hell 2 hours?! 🤯

Yes but I guess it was worth it in the end 😌
Thank you so much for telling me this as I had no idea about this. Just curious but what subjects do you study?

Biology, chemistry, and maths
Original post by Dedow

Exactly, its was him that got himself into oxford. Loreto isn't a magical place where they transform you to get you to go oxford. The only reason they have such a high oxford entry number is because they're so selective and high up about grades. I won't say too much, but they accidentally slipped about how they care about grades, not for us, but for their reputation....

If you can get to oxford, you can get in with your own power. It's defo not the school. And i went to one of the worst highschools in manchester. I found the support there so much better and they actually cared.
Original post by Ogechih
this sounds horrible, what buses do people take?

15 which is 1 minute from the school gate. 85, 86, 85A from right outside. And 250 and 53 and other buses to other areas which is a 10 minute walk. All ofnthem are always full, but 85, 86, 85A to picadilly gardens is hell on earth. I never thought I would experience something like that. The buses are so full that people walk 3 stops ahead to guarantee they have a seat, or even get on. Bus drivers also get scared to stop at the bus stop. I would say it's literally a human crush type scenario. Just hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending