The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No, they use some stupid 'air resistance' argument to back it up usually...
Reply 21
mipegg

for sprinting i can understand
Reply 22
mipegg

In the water? :indiff:
Reply 23
Adonis
for sprinting i can understand

SMed
In the water? :indiff:

Scientifically there is no difference between air and water. Their both fluids and thus both follow R=kv^2, that tiny piece of hair is going to make next to no change to your resistance, absolutely minuscule difference not noticeable at all...
Reply 24
mipegg
Scientifically there is no difference between air and water. Their both fluids and thus both follow R=kv^2, that tiny piece of hair is going to make next to no change to your resistance, absolutely minuscule difference not noticeable at all...

Bitch please...

Reply 25
mipegg

not even 0.01?
Reply 26
Adonis
not even 0.01?

Most likely not. Resultant force is going to be effected by a tiny number, possibly less than a newton, which when were dealing with such large forces its going to make a teeny difference. The piece of paper on your vest will make more change tbh
super_dry
especially if you are playing sports such as basketball, football etc

men, do you shave your arms/legs?

Your question is flawed.

Men by the very definition of being a man do not shave thier arms or legs
mipegg
Scientifically there is no difference between air and water.

Those idiots who died of cholera must be kicking themselves. If only the knew they could drink the air :wink:
Reply 29
burningnun
Those idiots who died of cholera must be kicking themselves. If only the knew they could drink the air :wink:

Fine, fine. In physics
Reply 30
mipegg
Scientifically there is no difference between air and water. Their both fluids and thus both follow R=kv^2

So what are you trying to say?
Reply 31
whiplash
So what are you trying to say?

What Im saying is the far far more important number there is v^2 and that shaving your hair will effect the coefficient of fluid friction by an absolutely minimal amount
mipegg

A mate of mine was an avid cyclist and I remember hum saying that he/they didn't shave their legs to save time but to make cleaning up a wound site easier should they have an accident.
Reply 33
ch0c0h01ic
A mate of mine was an avid cyclist and I remember hum saying that he/they didn't shave their legs to save time but to make cleaning up a wound site easier should they have an accident.

I heard this too with regards to cycling.
Reply 34
ch0c0h01ic

For cyclists, especially tour de france and other such events it makes sense for that reason. Though, down hill racers/off roaders it makes next to no difference as you pretty much always fall into mud or dust
I don't shave but I have patches on either inner thigh right near my willy where hair doesn't grow anymore because of my squat gear.
Cyclists shave their legs for hygienic reasons. It's easier to clean cuts, remove plasters (lol), and have thigh/calve massages.

It's True.

It was on QI last night, so it must be :wink:
Reply 37
mipegg

As I recall, density comes into it though, so any impact in air is multiplied 1000 fold in water(maybe only 100fold, depending how many dimensions are relevant, but I think it's probably 3), which means stuff could have an impact.

I also find I'm apparently stalking your physics posts.
Reply 38
I like my hairy limbs. I keep getting asked what it was like in The Shire.
Reply 39
Slumpy
As I recall, density comes into it though, so any impact in air is multiplied 1000 fold in water(maybe only 100fold, depending how many dimensions are relevant, but I think it's probably 3), which means stuff could have an impact.

I also find I'm apparently stalking your physics posts.

Density of water is 1000 times that of air and density is a major factor in determining the coefficient of friction of fluids, however, you also have to think about what happens to the hair when it gets wet. Rather than sticking up like in air it flattens to your skin and presents next to no surface area to the orientation which we care about (forewards and backwards) so whilst the overall resistance is many times higher, the resistance from your hair may be the same, may be smaller

Latest