The Student Room Group

Long hair in the RAF

I'm 17 male I love having long hair. I keep seeing conflicting information. I know women are allowed ponytails down to the Belt as long as it's not a hazard but I see that men are still restricted to not touching the collar. But from the wording it doesn't seem to restrict having long hair in a bun or ponytail so I just wanted to ask if any one thinks it's possible and if helps with your answer I want to join as a the RAF regiment Gunner. I really do love having long hair and I'm probably going to consider College more if I get a huge no. Also I find it really agrivating that on the website it says it encourages equality but I may have to shave my head because there isn't equality.
Reply 1
If you really want to join up you abide by the rules and that can involve making sacrifices...
Original post by Zephyr_L
I'm 17 male I love having long hair. I keep seeing conflicting information. I know women are allowed ponytails down to the Belt as long as it's not a hazard but I see that men are still restricted to not touching the collar. But from the wording it doesn't seem to restrict having long hair in a bun or ponytail so I just wanted to ask if any one thinks it's possible and if helps with your answer I want to join as a the RAF regiment Gunner. I really do love having long hair and I'm probably going to consider College more if I get a huge no. Also I find it really agrivating that on the website it says it encourages equality but I may have to shave my head because there isn't equality.

Contact them and ask if a bun would fall under ‘not touching the collar’. If there’s no leeway, you’ll have to decide whether to shave it or go to college. I agree with you that double standards labelled as ‘equality’ are disappointing, but as one person, there’s little you can do against it.

Quick Reply

Latest