The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

another frenchie at LSE ?

hi, i'm french and i'd like to study in UK. I'm currently studying economics in a prepschool.
Do you think that i can get into LSE?
though i'd like to study finance, should i apply to the BSc accounting and finance + BSc econ OR to other BSc like international relationships( 1/2 the applications are successful) ?

french baccalaureate marks: (economics and social branch) overall score 16.81/20 ("mention très bien" )

mainly, 19/20 in maths (including specialization in maths)
17/20 in economics and social science
19/20 in english (as first forein language)
17/20 in german (as second forein language)
20/20 in chinese (as third forein language) > btw, i have chinese origins :yes:

i'm not fluent in english (i plan to pass IELTS with 7777)....

thx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good marks ! (When did you pass the bac?)

Which school are you currently studying at?

Edit: tu peut répondre en Français si tu trouves cela plus facile.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
i just passed the bac in june 2009
+ i'm currently studying at INTEGRALE (private prepschool, 3rd/81 according to this ranking http://www.letudiant.fr/palmares/classement-prepa/prepas-commerciales-option-economique.html)
Reply 3
heyiwanttogoLse
hi, i'm french and i'd like to study in UK. I'm currently studying economics in a prepschool.
though i'd like to study finance, should i apply to the BSc accounting and finance + BSc econ OR to other BSc like international relationships( 1/2 the applications are successful) ?

ROFL you wish! In 2008 1108 people applied for IR and 54 got in, that's 4.8% not 50%... No LSE course has even close to 50% success rate and I'd be surprised if any are over 10% actually. :facepalm:
Reply 4
What classes do you have?

When are you thinking of joining the British system? Because classe prépa are generally two years long which doesn't fit in the university system. (Which means you'll have to contact LSE and ask details, they should know ^^)
Oldboy5745
ROFL you wish! In 2008 1108 people applied for IR and 54 got in, that's 4.8% not 50%... No LSE course has even close to 50% success rate and I'd be surprised if any are over 10% actually. :facepalm:

omg, they made a mistake in the paper prospectus 2010 > i checked and the figures are: "APPLICATIONS 2008 : 1108 / FIRST YEAR STUDENTS 2008 : 594"
:woo: lol i was also quite surprised

> Then, i'll apply to BSc accounting and finance + BSc economics.
Mavefr
What classes do you have?

When are you thinking of joining the British system? Because classe prépa are generally two years long which doesn't fit in the university system. (Which means you'll have to contact LSE and ask details, they should know ^^)

yeah i know, i'll have to start anew; let's say that my year of prepa is an 'unintentional' gap year :wink:

Basically i'm studying maths, economics, philosophy, english, chinese.
Reply 7
Mavefr
Good marks ! (When did you pass the bac?)

Which school are you currently studying at?

Edit: tu peut répondre en Français si tu trouves cela plus facile.

you can reply in french if you find it is (will be) easier?
Reply 8
heyiwanttogoLse
yeah i know, i'll have to start anew; let's say that my year of prepa is an 'unintentional' gap year :wink:

Basically i'm studying maths, economics, philosophy, english, chinese.

Fantastically fun gap year! hu!
Do you absolutely want to go to LSE or any British uni will do?
Because with good marks you can also try oxbridge, Warwick, UCL etc.

I don't know how you apply as a foreign student for a degree, I suppose you'll have to use UCAS?
Reply 9
irfy
you can reply in french if you find it is (will be) easier?

En effet :wink:
Mavefr
Fantastically fun gap year! hu!
Do you absolutely want to go to LSE or any British uni will do?
Because with good marks you can also try oxbridge, Warwick, UCL etc.
I don't know how you apply as I foreign student for a degree, I suppose you'll have to use UCAS?

haha is my english so badddd? :yes:

LSE sounds good :smile: hm actually i was told that LSE is THE uni to go if you are willing to study either finance or business. Therefore, does it make a difference whether you graduate from LSE or Warwick or UCL ?
As for Oxbridge, isn't applications deadline over?
+ yes, i'll apply via UCAS

so... Do I really have a chance to get into LSE by applying to the BSc accounting&finance + BSc econ ?
heyiwanttogoLse
so... Do I really have a chance to get into LSE by applying to the BSc accounting&finance + BSc econ ?

You'll probably find it hard to write a decent personal statement for both those courses. I'd suggest concentrating on one of these or perhaps picking 2 more related courses. Your grades seem to be suitable though :smile:
Reply 12
heyiwanttogoLse

LSE sounds good :smile: hm actually i was told that LSE is THE uni to go if you are willing to study either finance or business. Therefore, does it make a difference whether you graduate from LSE or Warwick or UCL ?
As for Oxbridge, isn't applications deadline over?
+ yes, i'll apply via UCAS

Your english is not too bad!

Bsc Econ is not business or finance, it's economics. The top unis in terms of Bsc Econ are oxbridge, LSE etc...

As for UCAS, I haven't a clue.
Oldboy5745
You'll probably find it hard to write a decent personal statement for both those courses. I'd suggest concentrating on one of these or perhaps picking 2 more related courses. Your grades seem to be suitable though :smile:

Actually, my main goal is to be accepted in the BSc accounting & finance at LSE, but is there an other LSE BSc related to the latter that is worth at least the BSc accounting & finance from Warwick (insofar as LSE>Warwick)?
:woo: Finally, what strategy would you suggest me to carry out if I want to get the best education (i.e. including school reputation) to work in finance?

btw thx for replying Mavefr+Oldboy
Reply 14
heyiwanttogoLse

french baccalaureate marks: (economics and social branch) overall score 16.81/20 ("mention très bien" )

mainly, 19/20 in maths (including specialization in maths)
17/20 in economics and social science
19/20 in english (as first forein language)
17/20 in german (as second forein language)
20/20 in chinese (as third forein language) > btw, i have chinese origins :yes:

i'm not fluent in english (i plan to pass IELTS with 7777)....

thx

Je suis rentrée a LSE en IR avec 15 au bac donc tes notes sont suffisantes, il faut juste que tu prouves que ton anglais est assez bon et ton personal statement doit etre interessant puisque la plupart des gens qui essaient de rentrer ont les notes!

Good Luck!
Ladyviolet
Je suis rentrée a LSE en IR avec 15 au bac donc tes notes sont suffisantes, il faut juste que tu prouves que ton anglais est assez bon et ton personal statement doit etre interessant puisque la plupart des gens qui essaient de rentrer ont les notes!

Good Luck!

Good job! tu viens d'un lycée bilingue ou lycée français à l'étranger?
La BSc accounting and finance est la plus convoitée non?
Sinon, je pense que je vais tourner mon ps autour de ma double culture du fait de mes origines chinoises; et que le marché financier ne cesse de se dev en Chine...
omg I just figured out that overseas students are "required to pass GCSE grade C or better in Mathematics (or equivalent)". Do you know any equivalent for this exam pls?
Reply 17
heyiwanttogoLse
omg I just figured out that overseas students are "required to pass GCSE grade C or better in Mathematics (or equivalent)". Do you know any equivalent for this exam pls?

ne t'inquiètes pas, your bac marks are going to be more than acceptable..and they are definitely worth much more than a silly C in Maths GCSE level (i would guess that thie would be the french equivalent of a 12/20 in Maths in Seconde)
thx, as for the references: should I ask those to my current prepschool (english?) teacher or my high school (english) teacher?

Will my application be unsuccessful if I have neither of them?
Salut tout le monde!

Je suis a peu près dans le même cas que toi heyiwant. J'ai passé mon bac S (spé math) avec un peu plus de 17 de moyenne et je suis à ipésup en 1ère cette année.

J'ai apply à LSE pour le bsc Econ mais j'ai aucune idée de mes chances d'y rentrer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending