The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

another frenchie at LSE ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by jedanselemyia
do you prefer it to the french system, although there is lots of independant study?

I think anyone who stays in the French system when he/she has the opportunity to go to one of the best UK unis is a fool. It's a very broad response but feel free to pm me if you want to know more!
But yeah if you can get one of the best unis do not hesitate one second. For example going and studying Management at Warwick (random example) will make you have a much better and enjoyable time and will leave you with more opportunities than a Grande Ecole student
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by KennyC
I think anyone who stays in the French system when he/she has the opportunity to go to one of the best UK unis is a fool. It's a very broad response but feel free to pm me if you want to know more!
But yeah if you can get one of the best unis do not hesitate one second. For example going and studying Management at Warwick (random example) will make you have a much better and enjoyable time and will leave you with more opportunities than a Grande Ecole student

Haha so a lot of people I know are in the wrong. :biggrin:
It's true though, it's a waste.
That's a random example but I actually got an offer from Warwick for Management ^^
Reply 122
Haha so a lot of people I know are in the wrong. :biggrin:
It's true though, it's a waste.
That's a random example but I actually got an offer from Warwick for Management ^^

I mean it's still "my point of view" but I really think that it's true...
Also Warwick is a lot of fun and top notch for employment prospects
Original post by KennyC
I mean it's still "my point of view" but I really think that it's true...
Also Warwick is a lot of fun and top notch for employment prospects

It's probably true, anyway. I would be depressed at the thought of going to prépa.
Do you know people who go there?
Reply 124
It's probably true, anyway. I would be depressed at the thought of going to prépa.
Do you know people who go there?

Yeah, either people who couldn't get in the best UK schools, stubborn people with a **** traditional personality, or people who now regret not going to the UK.
When I talk to them, they haven't evolved at all, they have nothing to talk about and their life is ****.
Original post by Soekblas
I am also a french applicant to LSE, french baccalaureate, serie ES.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ca va, pas trop modeste comme pseudonyme, vinkeke
I just realised you have already answered in previous messages,
I am applying to Bsc gov and econ

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't care

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vinkebg

#5,5 au IELTS rpz tkt bg
#5,5 au IELTS rpz tkt bg

Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
#5,5 au IELTS rpz tkt bg

hahaha and you want lse?
Original post by KennyC
Hi guys,
went through that last year so can help a bit.

You are at UCL for econ after one year of prepa? where were you last year? I' am an economics offer holder at UCL and I am currently in S !! Do you work the same amount of hours as in prepa or less? How is the "ambiance there"? Is it difficult to catch up with the english level? I m a bit worried because my english isn't perfect!
Original post by chiara97
hahaha and you want lse?

Never said i want lse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vinkebg
Never said i want lse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhaha i just thought cause you are on a lse thead!! where dou you want to go?
ahhaha i just thought cause you are on a lse thead!! where dou you want to go?

Ahah no problem :tongue: KCL or UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
salut, je viens d'etre accepté à LSE pour le master et je voulais savoir si y a d'autres français qui y sont et comment est la vie la bas londres, à l'école, les clubs, etc)
x
Reply 136
[QUOTE="chiara97;53679507"]
Original post by KennyC
Hi guys,
went through that last year so can help a bit.

You are at UCL for econ after one year of prepa? where were you last year? I' am an economics offer holder at UCL and I am currently in S !! Do you work the same amount of hours as in prepa or less? How is the "ambiance there"? Is it difficult to catch up with the english level? I m a bit worried because my english isn't perfect!

No you don't need to have done prepa at all, I was in Terminale last year.
It has completely nothing to do with prepa. Prepa is about absorbing insane amounts of information and methodology and conditioning you for the French schools. Education in the UK is much more independent and orientated in getting involved in stuff that are not necessarily related to your course: getting involved in societies, making connections, doing sports, have time for work experience/internships... I think the kind of individual you emerge as is completely different in the two systems.
If you want to be completely individualistic, know insane amounts of unnecessary information, be full of yourself, assess what you're worth by comparing to others and competing against them, then go to prepa lol
If you want to develop a sociable, open-minded and creative personality whilst being challenged but still having time to get involved in other things, and also have a job, go to the UK.
This is a bit biased because I think prepa is completely not suited to what today's education should be, but that's my view. Also I haven't gone through the prepa system so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I'm French so I'm familiar with the system, and got friends going through it.

So yeah, the amount of work is much less here, while you're at a top university and they're still struggling without even knowing if they'll get the school they want. First year is kind of designed to ease you into the uni life I would say, so it doesn't count much (5% for UCL Econ!) but I've heard it definitely gets tougher in second and third year. Also if you've done S you'll be more comfortable with all the maths in Econ.

The ambiance is a friendly and sociable one. It is not at all like the Prepa system where you are ranked against (therefore competing) against your peers. Everyone helps each other and it's easy to make friends because everyone will be like you (new) at first. Also first year allows time for lots of going out and social life so yeah pretty cool.

No worries about your english, you'll be fine. I was kind of worried as well, but I mean Econ is mostly maths, so there's not much essay writing or things involving literary/developed language/writing skills. A lot of people will be in the same case as you, I'd say try and practice during Summer if you don't feel comfortable? I remember, I used to be quite concerned about my accent. Now I don't care because no one frankly gives a **** as long as they can understand you, even if you're sentence is not 100% grammatically correct. Like, you can hear in less than a sec that I'm French lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 137
[QUOTE="KennyC;53707661"]

No you don't need to have done prepa at all, I was in Terminale last year.
It has completely nothing to do with prepa. Prepa is about absorbing insane amounts of information and methodology and conditioning you for the French schools. Education in the UK is much more independent and orientated in getting involved in stuff that are not necessarily related to your course: getting involved in societies, making connections, doing sports, have time for work experience/internships... I think the kind of individual you emerge as is completely different in the two systems.
If you want to be completely individualistic, know insane amounts of unnecessary information, be full of yourself, assess what you're worth by comparing to others and competing against them, then go to prepa lol
If you want to develop a sociable, open-minded and creative personality whilst being challenged but still having time to get involved in other things, and also have a job, go to the UK.
This is a bit biased because I think prepa is completely not suited to what today's education should be, but that's my view. Also I haven't gone through the prepa system so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I'm French so I'm familiar with the system, and got friends going through it.

So yeah, the amount of work is much less here, while you're at a top university and they're still struggling without even knowing if they'll get the school they want. First year is kind of designed to ease you into the uni life I would say, so it doesn't count much (5% for UCL Econ!) but I've heard it definitely gets tougher in second and third year. Also if you've done S you'll be more comfortable with all the maths in Econ.

The ambiance is a friendly and sociable one. It is not at all like the Prepa system where you are ranked against (therefore competing) against your peers. Everyone helps each other and it's easy to make friends because everyone will be like you (new) at first. Also first year allows time for lots of going out and social life so yeah pretty cool.

No worries about your english, you'll be fine. I was kind of worried as well, but I mean Econ is mostly maths, so there's not much essay writing or things involving literary/developed language/writing skills. A lot of people will be in the same case as you, I'd say try and practice during Summer if you don't feel comfortable? I remember, I used to be quite concerned about my accent. Now I don't care because no one frankly gives a **** as long as they can understand you, even if you're sentence is not 100% grammatically correct. Like, you can hear in less than a sec that I'm French lol

Hey! Could you tell me how hard is the integration for a french in the british environment so far?
Reply 138
[QUOTE="samu16;53752267"]
Original post by KennyC

Hey! Could you tell me how hard is the integration for a french in the british environment so far?

Not hard, the environment is international, not British. Everyone is in the same boat. Some nationalities tend to stick together as well, but it's really up to you how you want your integration to happen
I wonder if the OP ever got into LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending