The Student Room Group
Reply 1
dont use a treadmill for sprinting, they're crap.

Technique, see someone who's in the know.
Ultimately it's down to practising that event over and over, but i'd use hill training/HIIT as an addition.
Reply 2
erk
dont use a treadmill for sprinting, they're crap.

Technique, see someone who's in the know.
Ultimately it's down to practising that event over and over, but i'd use hill training/HIIT as an addition.

well im small so i find i have enough room to run quite fast on them :biggrin: Anyway I wouldnt be sprinting just running quite fast which is what you do for 400m. I only have access to a gym though im not sprinting down the street!!
Reply 3
It's a sprint. If you train on the treadmill, once you change to track you'll find it MUCH harder, harder to go as fast, harder on the joints etc etc. You have a reason to train for the event, so you must have a track nearby?
Reply 4
erk
It's a sprint. If you train on the treadmill, once you change to track you'll find it MUCH harder, harder to go as fast, harder on the joints etc etc. You have a reason to train for the event, so you must have a track nearby?

yea but i can only use it once a week when i go training with the club its really far away. So yea i'l be practicing the event but only once a week
Reply 5
How about just using the treadmill for jogging ie endurance? I find that i slow down loads towards the end of 200m so would this help?
Reply 6
you're not meant to slow down at the end of the 200 - that's supposed to be a dead sprint, all the way through, so jogging wouldn't help at all. jogging is better for long distance training - it uses different muscles than the ones you should be developing for sprinting
Reply 7
dede
you're not meant to slow down at the end of the 200 - that's supposed to be a dead sprint, all the way through, so jogging wouldn't help at all. jogging is better for long distance training - it uses different muscles than the ones you should be developing for sprinting

I was thinking that the reason i slow down at the end of the 200 and 400 is cause i lack endurance therefore doing endurance training such as jogging would improve endurance within the sprint, lol. If you know what i mean
400 is a tiny bit slower than a sprint though
alio~
How about just using the treadmill for jogging ie endurance? I find that i slow down loads towards the end of 200m so would this help?

Just go jogging on the roads, and do plenty of hill work. Alternate between steady pace and all out sprints, and it'll build you up nicely. Also, train on a track for the actual distances you intend to do, as well as distances twice long.

Do light weight training, and alternate your cardio workouts - include some skipping, swimming, cycling if you're serious about it.
Reply 9
ok thanks for all advice :smile: I'l do a mixture of jogging and near sprinting and uphill work if i can find a hill lol.
Reply 10
do u know what kind of training u need to be doing wen ur actually on the track?
make sure ur basically doing long and short sprints.
400m is i would say the hardest event on the track. u need to be practising lots of 200m but also longer distances.
a session like (200m +400m)x2 or 3 might help depending on your level of fitness. (im not too sure about that but im just kind of altering what i did wen i trained for 800/1500m etc to suit 400m..)
essentially u need to build stamina for 400m. so go for a few 2km runs etc as well as doing the sprint training.

200m im not too sure cz its much more sprint based than 400m but definately u need to be doing much more 100m work.

but u definately cant train cardio wise for these distances in the gym. try and find a little route around where you live see if u can do something locally.
Reply 11
To be honest you will still need to train in all sorts of things. Obviously cardiovascular machines are great for endurance and working on your stamina, so a the running machine, rowing machine, hill climbers etc will be useful.

But do not rule out the use of weights. There are several weight machines to increase leg muscle which is useful, dumbells should be sufficient for your arms, and of course a trim tummy is needed via sit ups/crunchs.

Personally, i run 200m and iv never used a treadmill as they make me pretty ill, I'd much rather go down the park and run sprints or do some circuits.
jsut run as fast as u can for as long as u can. and do it over and over and over again! go do it now. NOW!

Latest

Trending

Trending