The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everywhere I've found has both twinned I'm afraid. Not all the Pharmacy Schools do Pharmacology and vice versa (eg Edinburgh and Queens the top 2 only do one of each) so I'd check the schools you're applying to to see if they do both or not and so whether this affected the postion. Sorry that wasnt much use lol was all i could think of :smile:
well nottingham is the best in the UK for pharmacy..dont know about the rest
Reply 3
Ignore the league tables when it comes to pharmacy, simply because they're all flawed in one way or another. Check out some of my previous posts for rants on this subject.

What you need to do is think where abouts in the country do you want to go to? And do you want to go to a red brick or a more modern university? Also, take a look at the MPharm website for the universities you are interested in and see which course structure and/or content takes your fancy the most. If you're interested in becoming a hospital or community pharmacy you will need placements in the course - which I can tell you Nottingham are do not offer at the minute, except the compulsory 3 hrs in each sector set out by the RPSGB. You get significantly more placements at places like Liverpool John Moores, Manchester and Kingston.

Remember, each pharmacy course is regulated and accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, meaning that all the schools have to pass minimum standards in order to be allowed to teach pharmacy.

Therefore, you need to take into account that you will be spending 4 years at that uni and need to do your utmost to chose somewhere you will feel comfortable, regardless if it's "apparently the best university." Go visit the uni on the open days and have a look at the accommodation if you can.

Hope that helps guide you to a decision that will fit your own needs.
Reply 4
TigerSwift
Ignore the league tables when it comes to pharmacy, simply because they're all flawed in one way or another. Check out some of my previous posts for rants on this subject.

What you need to do is think where abouts in the country do you want to go to? And do you want to go to a red brick or a more modern university? Also, take a look at the MPharm website for the universities you are interested in and see which course structure and/or content takes your fancy the most. If you're interested in becoming a hospital or community pharmacy you will need placements in the course - which I can tell you Nottingham are do not offer at the minute, except the compulsory 3 hrs in each sector set out by the RPSGB. You get significantly more placements at places like Liverpool John Moores, Manchester and Kingston.

Remember, each pharmacy course is regulated and accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, meaning that all the schools have to pass minimum standards in order to be allowed to teach pharmacy.

Therefore, you need to take into account that you will be spending 4 years at that uni and need to do your utmost to chose somewhere you will feel comfortable, regardless if it's "apparently the best university." Go visit the uni on the open days and have a look at the accommodation if you can.

Hope that helps guide you to a decision that will fit your own needs.

Compulsory work experience? I didn't know that:eek: How many people honestly knew that?

Also don't forget UCLan! We have placements in each academic year, for community and hospital. I think we get to also choose industry in the 4th year - but don't quote me on that.
Reply 5
ila123
Hi,

When ever I look at university league tables for pharmacy, it is always twinned with pharmacology... obviously this could have an affect on the rankings.

Does anyone know of a website which shows pharmacy on its own or know what it may look like?

Im especially interested in the rankings of Bath, Nottingham, Manchester, UEA and King's College.

Thanks.

Im mean you could try unistats.com it lets you compare them in terms of what the students think.

But I don't think there is one which is just pharmacy. :frown: I might ask them why they don't do it, as it is rather annoying.
emanuel_arsenalfc
well nottingham is the best in the UK for pharmacy..dont know about the rest

Who told you that? There is no official best school for pharmacy.
-Emmz-
Who told you that? There is no official best school for pharmacy.

its what they said in their open day..
plus they are 4th in the world cmon that is big,
Reply 8
emanuel_arsenalfc

LSOP could say they are a school based upon teaching pharmacy only, and also be biased and say the same thing?
looking243
LSOP could say they are a school based upon teaching pharmacy only, and also be biased and say the same thing?

could be..but still think nottingham are the best..:yep:
emanuel_arsenalfc

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Reply 11
-Emmz-
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hi -Emmz-,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was reading earlier posts (like really old posts), and are you now a hospital pharmacist?

Basically, I just wanted to ask about the ups and downs in your opinion...
Reply 12
emanuel_arsenalfc

4th in the world for pharmacy or 4th in the world as a uni overall?
the latter is DEFINITELY incorrect and i do have some doubts to whether it is 4th in the world for pharmacy aswell
Reply 13
emanuel_arsenalfc

year thats bull ****, even oxbridge are not 4th in the world
for pharmacy not as an overall uni..
emanuel_arsenalfc

Of course they will say things like this on their open day - it's a sale tactic.

It is impossible to say one pharmacy course is better than one in another country as what is taught in each country is completely different, and for good reason. Even in the EU where there is free movement of pharmacists the courses differ massively.
Reply 16
on face value and reputation alone, without saying it depends on how you felt when you visited etc.... which is better Bath or Nottingham?
I believe they are the only two pharmacy schools in england who ask for AAB. I would guess that Nottingham has the reputation but is it all hype?
Reply 17
emanuel_arsenalfc

there is no such thing as an overall "best in the world" league table for subjects. especially such ones as pharmacy as the syllabus hugely varies from country to country.
I don't think you can officially say that any are ''the best'', the majority of people will be biased in where they think is better due to where they go or want to go.
grade wise, as nottingham and bath only offer AAB you'd think they would have a higher academic standard? but that doesnt always make the best pharmacist, apparently nottingham is good for getting into the industry side i hear.
Vamp1reWeekend
I don't think you can officially say that any are ''the best'', the majority of people will be biased in where they think is better due to where they go or want to go.
grade wise, as nottingham and bath only offer AAB you'd think they would have a higher academic standard? but that doesnt always make the best pharmacist, apparently nottingham is good for getting into the industry side i hear.

Cardiff make AAB offers I hear, but they're in Wales obv not England :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending