The Student Room Group

Russell Howard - worst comedian out there!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
paddy__power
I like his comedy, but mainly late at night when I'm tired and don't want to have to think about any jokes being made.

Yessss, late at night! Agree!

I saw that stand-up he did that was on BBC3 for just over an hour the other night and I thought it was fairly good. Certainly in parts. I wouldn't call him the worst comedian out there, not at all, not by a long long long way.
thats not what we judge comedians on though is it?

But it so helps.
Reply 122
BJP

I saw that stand-up he did that was on BBC3 for just over an hour the other night and I thought it was fairly good. Certainly in parts. I wouldn't call him the worst comedian out there, not at all, not by a long long long way.

Agreed LOL

Not the best, but not the worst
Sometimes he's a little irritating with the same type of animal jokes...etc but I think he's good entertainment most of the time. Good News is actually pretty hilarious!
zKlown
Agreed LOL

Not the best, but not the worst

True that!
Reply 125
I like him, if only because he is so optimistic. He doesn't deal with cynical comedy which I like a lot - its just refreshing.
BJP

His good news programme. Aye, it's light entertainment is all =]
The only stand ups who have ever made me really laugh are Mitch Hedburg and Stuart Lee.
I used to like MTW but what really pisses me off is the never ending box-ticking they do, regardless of whether you like Howard, Parsons or Boyle (I don't really), everything seems so orchestrated and unfunny, even in some of the performance stuff. I also hate it when you can tell that they've hired a female comedian for a show (yes, I'm a girl) just to play the equality card; none of them have ever been funny or when they are, the laughs always have a piteous edge to them.

/Rant :wink:
Spinnerette
I beg to differ, Dylan Moran is the hottest followed close second by Ed Byrne.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tbh, everyone has different comedy tastes, like e.g. I like Russell Howard (and Frankie Boyle, Dara O'Briain, Michael McIntyre), but I dislike every female comedienne I've seen + Lee Mack and Jason Manford.

Anyways, Russell Howard... He is quite childish, though, tbf, he is younger than most comedians - so that's why he appeals to the younger generation more as they can appeal to him.

Imo, I think he appeals to women more than men - for obvious reasons. :mmm:

But, honestly, I think he's quite good - he does come out with some fantastic stuff. Though, no comedian is perfect - he repeats material, and some jokes are just not good.

Though, in comparison to other comedians - by heck is he confident when doing stand up! Others, just stand here - maybe walking a bit other, delivering in a monotone voice - with one liners. :nothing: *cough* Stewart Francis *cough*

I think that's why I like McIntyre and Howard a lot - they can put on a show and get the audience involved.

On Mock the Week - he's the best after Frankie obvs. But he's leaving, so, mark my words, when MTW he returns, I think he'll come out more and deliver more of his stuff.

Though, lol "makes Andy Parsons look good". I wouldn't say that now! :p:

In fact, I enjoyed his series of "Good News" - although not the best, it really does show Howard a lot, and we see more of his personality on it, than on MTW.

One thing I noticed is that he bases a lot of his comedy on hypothetical situations, i.e. "If this was to happen...", "Don't you think that..." Whether that's a bad thing or not - I dunno. :dontknow:

In short - very "cutesy", quite childish, repetitive at times, quite quick-witted... However, some of his material is just :s-smilie:

Imo - I like Russell. :smile:

(Plus he's so cute! :hugs:)
im so academic
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I seem to have a thing for Irish comedians. I don't know why :o:
He's a bit of a shocker I have to agree, but hell he's cute! :yep:
I wouldn't say the worst out there by any means. Lee Evans is still alive isn't he?

I agree the hyper-active face pulling wears thin pretty quickly but I think he's a genuinely funny guy. When he's not doing rehearsed material he comes across as a lot funnier in my opinion. Same as Jimmy Carr. I do love his Good News show though for the most part, but I agree he should tone it down a little.
Reply 133
HOW DARE YOU!!
Russell howard is AMAAZINGG!!
hes just got such a cute lil face and funny lil voice, he was in Heats "weirdest crush 2009" dont y'know, beat obama too!
surely just being able to pull a face and making people laugh is credit to the guy, and hes the ray of sunshine in the dank dark pit of despair that is mock the week. his humour's accessible and easy going, and refreshing cheerful when juxtaposed with the crude, scrooge-like, and down right depressing Franky Boyle.
if you dont like him, dont watch.

:ymca:
He's no David Mitchell that's for sure. Good old trusty David, reliable, nutritious, and filling just like bran flakes, Russell is like rice crispies low in substance, generally hollow, and aimed at a younger less mature audience.
Spinnerette
which one? Ed Byrne as he's the only one out of the two that does Comedy question shows. I was right up front he had white teeth.

Live at the Apollo I think he was on.
Reply 136
I don't think he's funny. Girls think he's attractive, so automatically laugh at anything he says. He seems to have the 13 year old girl "omg thtz so randum!!!" humour, which I don't like.
He really, really has his moments. He is quirky and has a wonderful turn of phrase. You really need to watch his solo stand-up to appreciate him fully.
EssexDan86
Seriously, what were they thinking letting this man onto Mock the Week? He even makes Andy Parsons look good. Is there anyone else out there who thinks his concept of 'humour' is absolutely atrocious? It seems to consist of:

-Regurgitating other people's jokes and pulling a face
-Speaking in a Bristol accent and pulling a face
-Saying something really low-brow, pulling a face and making some random arm movements
-Talking about something he read in the Daily Mail, and pulling a face
-Pulling a face

If you like him, WHY?! Nearly any other comedian is funnier, with the exception of Jim Davidson!

Agreed I don't find him funny at all. His jokes are never witty he strikes me as a class clown who makes 'jokes' as he feels insecure because hes in a class above his caliber type.

I also think hes very unattractive I'm not sure where all this 'hes gorgeous' stuff has came from.
fire2burn
He's no David Mitchell that's for sure. Good old trusty David, reliable, nutritious, and filling just like bran flakes, Russell is like rice crispies low in substance, generally hollow, and aimed at a younger less mature audience.

haha thats bob on

Quick Reply

Latest