The Student Room Group

Course Indecisiveness

I have gotten offer from advertising and marketing subject in University of leeds business school dept. while my father believes that I should wait for advertising and design course offer since it has more potential career wise. Can someone please guide me if what subject is more profitable and is leeds design school better than leeds business school?

ps I graduated in bachelors in design (visual comm. design) from one of the most prestigious university of my country.
(edited 10 months ago)
Hi Ramna,

According to QS University Rankings, the Arts and Designs department at the University of Leeds is ranked top #101-150 in the world, while Business and Management department stands at #67 as of 2023. Overall, University of Leeds is ranked #86 in the world, and is also one of the university in the Russell Group. You can check by clicking here: QS World Universities Ranking 2023 (University of Leeds).

In my opinions, I think you should wait for the Advertising and Design course offer as you've completed your Bachelors in Visual Comm and Design, as the course seems more aligned to your previous qualifications compared to the offered Advertising and Marketing course. I also have a friend that's under the department of Arts and Design at the University of Leeds, and it seems like she's enjoying herself a lot there. Hope this helps, I wish you all the best for your application!

Kind regards,
Hau Wen (Howard)
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi Ramna,

According to QS University Rankings, the Arts and Designs department at the University of Leeds is ranked top #101-150 in the world, while Business and Management department stands at #67 as of 2023. Overall, University of Leeds is ranked #86 in the world, and is also one of the university in the Russell Group. You can check by clicking here: QS World Universities Ranking 2023 (University of Leeds).

In my opinions, I think you should wait for the Advertising and Design course offer as you've completed your Bachelors in Visual Comm and Design, as the course seems more aligned to your previous qualifications compared to the offered Advertising and Marketing course. I also have a friend that's under the department of Arts and Design at the University of Leeds, and it seems like she's enjoying herself a lot there. Hope this helps, I wish you all the best for your application!

Kind regards,
Hau Wen (Howard)
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Thank you so much for your suggestion, appreciated.
I'd always recommend that students with a BA should go and work in their chosen field for a year or two before deciding what postgrad course to study. Then you'd have a much better idea what kind of career you want to pursue. Do you want to be the one actually coming up with ideas and making things, or do you want to be the one dealing with clients, budgets, planning etc? Spending time in a creative agency will allow you to see first hand what kinds of career options there are. If your portfolio is good, that should be relatively easy to achieve.

To answer your questions...

1) You're likely to earn more doing a business course and then pursuing a career in management. However, i'd always go with what is likely to make you happy, rather than what will make you more money. Being a creative in these industries can be well paid too.

2) Parents often know their children better than they know themselves.

3) It's pointless to compare a business school and an art school. If you do want to do a postgraduate creative course and want to get into advertising, nobody will care if you have an MA or not. There are many more and potentially much better options than you have shortlisted. As well as other UK Universities, look at the Miami Ad School Europe or the School of Communication Arts - the work their students produce is amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest