The Student Room Group

Coping With Homesickness as a Student

Hello everyone, and Happy Father's Day! My name is Howard and I'm currently a final year International Digital Marketing student at Coventry University. I am from Malaysia, which is about 10,582km away from the United Kingdom. Coming to the UK was an exciting and transformative experience for me. However, I felt a little homesick after being in the UK for a few months, especially during Father’s Day and other Malaysian national holidays. But there’s no need for you to worry about getting it, because it’s all part of the adjustment process. Homesickness can be a challenging experience, but with time and some practical strategies, you can navigate through it and make the most of your university experience. In this blog, I will share some helpful tips and tricks that helped me overcome homesickness during my time at Coventry University.

Tip #1: Stay Connected With Loved Ones

First of all, one of the most effective ways to combat homesickness is to stay connected with your family and friends back home. I would always exchange text messages, start a FaceTime call, and share updates about my life in the UK with them. Make sure to take advantage of technology to help in bridging the distance and keep your connections strong with your loved ones. Their support and familiar voices can provide a sense of comfort and belonging. It is one of the ways that helped me overcome homesickness during my time at the University.

Tip #2: Embrace Your Culture

Secondly, embracing your own culture can be a powerful way to combat homesickness. As a Malaysian student, I would always cook food or celebrate festivals that remind me of home and it really helped in overcoming the feeling of homesickness. For example, you can always celebrate Malaysian festivals with your friends that you made in the UK by making your favourite traditional dishes, or join cultural events organised by your own community’s society at Coventry University. Engaging in these activities will not only remind you of home but also help you connect with fellow Malaysians and create a sense of community and belonging. I have personally experienced this and I really think this is a good way to help you cope with homesickness. Other than that, I recommend you to bring along some of your favourite snacks from your own country or city to the University because it can help fix your cravings whenever and ultimately help soothe your homesickness.

Tip #3: Engage in University Activities

Thirdly, getting involved in university activities is an excellent way to meet new people and make friends with similar interests. Universities in the UK offer a wide range of clubs and societies catering to various hobbies and passions. If you are not able to find the society you’re looking for, you can always start one on your own (or adopt a recently abandoned club/society). Participating in clubs and societies will not only help you build a social network but also provide a sense of belonging and distraction from your feelings of homesickness.

Tip #4 - Take Care of Your Wellbeing

Last but not least, taking care of your physical and mental wellbeing is crucial when dealing with homesickness. During your time at university, you should establish a routine that includes regular exercise, healthy eating, and sufficient sleep. Participating in sports that you particularly enjoy playing is one good way to start with, maintaining a healthy, balanced diet by cooking at home with less oil and salt, as well as getting a sufficient amount of sleep every night. Moreover, engaging in activities that you enjoy, such as reading, listening to music, or practicing mindfulness are also good for your personal well-being. These self-care activities will help boost your mood, increase your resilience, and help you adjust to your new environment which ultimately helps with overcoming homesickness.

Overall, homesickness is a common experience for many students, but it doesn't have to overshadow your university journey. My advice is to stay connected with your loved ones back home, explore events and communities related to your culture at the university, and maintain a balanced lifestyle. By doing so, you can overcome homesickness and create a fulfilling and memorable experience at university.

Best wishes,
- Howard 🙂
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello everyone, and Happy Father's Day! My name is Howard and I'm currently a final year International Digital Marketing student at Coventry University. I am from Malaysia, which is about 10,582km away from the United Kingdom. Coming to the UK was an exciting and transformative experience for me. However, I felt a little homesick after being in the UK for a few months, especially during Father’s Day and other Malaysian national holidays. But there’s no need for you to worry about getting it, because it’s all part of the adjustment process. Homesickness can be a challenging experience, but with time and some practical strategies, you can navigate through it and make the most of your university experience. In this blog, I will share some helpful tips and tricks that helped me overcome homesickness during my time at Coventry University.

Tip #1: Stay Connected With Loved Ones

First of all, one of the most effective ways to combat homesickness is to stay connected with your family and friends back home. I would always exchange text messages, start a FaceTime call, and share updates about my life in the UK with them. Make sure to take advantage of technology to help in bridging the distance and keep your connections strong with your loved ones. Their support and familiar voices can provide a sense of comfort and belonging. It is one of the ways that helped me overcome homesickness during my time at the University.

Tip #2: Embrace Your Culture

Secondly, embracing your own culture can be a powerful way to combat homesickness. As a Malaysian student, I would always cook food or celebrate festivals that remind me of home and it really helped in overcoming the feeling of homesickness. For example, you can always celebrate Malaysian festivals with your friends that you made in the UK by making your favourite traditional dishes, or join cultural events organised by your own community’s society at Coventry University. Engaging in these activities will not only remind you of home but also help you connect with fellow Malaysians and create a sense of community and belonging. I have personally experienced this and I really think this is a good way to help you cope with homesickness. Other than that, I recommend you to bring along some of your favourite snacks from your own country or city to the University because it can help fix your cravings whenever and ultimately help soothe your homesickness.

Tip #3: Engage in University Activities

Thirdly, getting involved in university activities is an excellent way to meet new people and make friends with similar interests. Universities in the UK offer a wide range of clubs and societies catering to various hobbies and passions. If you are not able to find the society you’re looking for, you can always start one on your own (or adopt a recently abandoned club/society). Participating in clubs and societies will not only help you build a social network but also provide a sense of belonging and distraction from your feelings of homesickness.

Tip #4 - Take Care of Your Wellbeing

Last but not least, taking care of your physical and mental wellbeing is crucial when dealing with homesickness. During your time at university, you should establish a routine that includes regular exercise, healthy eating, and sufficient sleep. Participating in sports that you particularly enjoy playing is one good way to start with, maintaining a healthy, balanced diet by cooking at home with less oil and salt, as well as getting a sufficient amount of sleep every night. Moreover, engaging in activities that you enjoy, such as reading, listening to music, or practicing mindfulness are also good for your personal well-being. These self-care activities will help boost your mood, increase your resilience, and help you adjust to your new environment which ultimately helps with overcoming homesickness.

Overall, homesickness is a common experience for many students, but it doesn't have to overshadow your university journey. My advice is to stay connected with your loved ones back home, explore events and communities related to your culture at the university, and maintain a balanced lifestyle. By doing so, you can overcome homesickness and create a fulfilling and memorable experience at university.

Best wishes,
- Howard 🙂

Thank you howard for the info! However I still have a question, as right now im feeling kind of homesick after a year studying at university, is it worth it to ask someone from my home country to ship over a few boxes of snacks? I’m from Hong Kong.

- Andy Lau
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you howard for the info! However I still have a question, as right now im feeling kind of homesick after a year studying at university, is it worth it to ask someone from my home country to ship over a few boxes of snacks? I’m from Hong Kong.

- Andy Lau

Hi Andy,

Yeah it's totally fine to ask them to ship over some snacks if the price is reasonable. I am not sure how much do they usually charge for shipments from Hong Kong to the UK, but shipping from Malaysia to the UK is really overpriced so I never really asked my family to ship stuff over to me unless some of them are coming to visit, so they can bring along some of the snacks. If you are really craving for some of the snacks from your home country, I think you can either head to the nearest oriental supermarket around you. If you noticed some of your friends or family are going to visit the UK soon, you can try asking them to help you out by bringing something for you from Hong Kong.

Kind regards,
- Howard 🙂
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending