The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
iceberg_1
this is an impossible question for anyone to answer because on the whole people do subjects at A-level that they enjoy, ie good at(because no one enjoys getting F's or U's) hence what ever A-Levels you do wou will have an aptitude for it an so an art person will find maths hard and vice versa. but by looking at the grades of people who do these subjects and the grades they get in them chemistry and physics are the hardest from a statistics point of view as a low propourtion of the students get A's. I think that is the fairest way to judge.

Great post up until the statistics stuff. Surely that's more a reflection of the people who take these subjects than the difficulty of the subject? A higher proportion of students gets As in A level Latin than in Media Studies: does that mean Latin is easier?
Reply 61
schrodingerscat
Maths - easy because it's logical, once you learn the 'rules' and practice them then all becomes clear

Maths A-Level can be tedious because all you're following set procedures. It gets slightly better in further maths and AEA but then I hear the subject really gets interesting at university level.
Reply 62
I agree. Statistics are probably the best way to measure the subjects difficulty. For each subject if you work out the percentage of As acquired by pupils; it is much easier to compare to other subjects. The more As acquired percentage wise and proportional to the number of people taking the relevant subject, the easier it should in theory be and vice versa, right?

I rekon this is probably the best measure of the difficulty of a certain subject.
Reply 63
S. Tham
I agree. Statistics are probably the best way to measure the subjects difficulty. For each subject if you work out the percentage of As acquired by pupils; it is much easier to compare to other subjects. The more As acquired percentage wise and proportional to the number of people taking the relevant subject, the easier it should in theory be and vice versa, right?

I rekon this is probably the best measure of the difficulty of a certain subject.

I very much disagree. Some subjects naturally attract more talented students - you generally get the more academic people studying things like english literature, physics and further maths.
Reply 64
But then this actually means that there is no way of measuring Alevel subjects difficulty compared to each other, its probably impossible to even get an answer that everyone would agree to! It means, subjects can only be measured by a persons aptitude and abilities alone, the difficulty cannot be defined for everyone taking Alevels. It comes down to your opinion then really.
Reply 65
Kavanne
Uh oh, you've opened yourself for a barrage of abuse with that one!

My opinions are being helped by the report recently published by the ISC which talks about this debate. :biggrin:
Reply 66
In yr 12 I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Chemistry was the hardest for me.
Reply 67
Whizz Kid
My opinions are being helped by the report recently published by the ISC which talks about this debate. :biggrin:

Yes, but the media students like to use their l33t 'debating and drama skillz' to disagree.
Kavanne
Yes, but the media students like to use their l33t 'debating and drama skillz' to disagree.

Why are you so bitter about media studies anyway? It's not like you've been forced to take it, so let them get on with their subjects while you get on with yours :rolleyes:
Reply 69
kellywood_5
Why are you so bitter about media studies anyway? It's not like you've been forced to take it, so let them get on with their subjects while you get on with yours :rolleyes:

It's fun to b*tch. Usually they are out in force on these threads, but they seem to be ignoring this one!
Reply 70
I find it worrying that you're absorbed in how difficult your A-Level options are, to be honest, it appears as though you've taken them to look good, knowing that they have a reputation of difficulty. I'd say you have chosen what most people consider to be a 'difficult' set of A-Levels, but of course those people will only be those who are not good at Sciences and Maths. Other people will consider them easy, as they are their chosen subjects. None of them are considered 'mickey mouse' though, which probably means they have more substance to them than newer, less respected A-Level subjects.

I personally am doing; English Literature, History, Biology and Chemistry, all of which are probably considered 'difficult' in the way that none of these subjects, too, are 'mickey mouse', and to the contrary are highly regarded. However, aside from Chemistry (which is supposed to be a hell-raiser!), I don't think these will be hugely difficult for me because they are all subjects that I am best at, others however, may find them excrutiatingly complex because they are crap at them. I, personally, would die if faced with a Music A-Level!
Reply 71
Madelyn
Great post up until the statistics stuff. Surely that's more a reflection of the people who take these subjects than the difficulty of the subject? A higher proportion of students gets As in A level Latin than in Media Studies: does that mean Latin is easier?

Although i dont disagree again someone has used statistics to prove your point, (i am aware i have also done this in the past.) as some else has said you can't look at subjects like latin and further maths and compare to media studies, because having studies statistics the sample sizes of further maths and latin are so small, in one school you could say 30% got A's that could be(in my college) 3 people but in media sudies 30% could be 30 people. so as always statistics are missleading
Reply 72
zhivago

I personally am doing; English Literature, History, Biology and Chemistry, all of which are probably considered 'difficult' in the way that none of these subjects, too, are 'mickey mouse', and to the contrary are highly regarded. However, aside from Chemistry (which is supposed to be a hell-raiser!), I don't think these will be hugely difficult for me because they are all subjects that I am best at, others however, may find them excrutiatingly complex because they are crap at them. I, personally, would die if faced with a Music A-Level!

It appears you have not even started these subjects at A Level, all of which are completely different from how they were at GCSE, so, no offence, but surely you are not as qualified to comment as someone who is already doing/has done their A Levels?
Reply 73
Kavanne
It appears you have not even started these subjects at A Level, all of which are completely different from how they were at GCSE, so, no offence, but surely you are not as qualified to comment as someone who is already doing/has done their A Levels?

But people who have finished their A-Levels aren't really qualified either as they can never be truly objective :smile:
Reply 74
Gaz031
But people who have finished their A-Levels aren't really qualified either as they can never be truly objective :smile:

Had more experience than a person who has just done GCSEs, which are completely different. Don't you agree?
uhh.. someone who's only done GCSE is hardly in a position to comment on ANY A levels, at least someone who has completed A2's has some idea of what they involve!
uhh.. someone who's only done GCSE is hardly in a position to comment on ANY A levels, at least someone who has completed A2's has some idea of what they involve!

I completely agree! AS and A2 subjects are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to how they were at olevel or gcse!!! You cant think that just cause you were good at it at gcse/olevel you will be equally good at it for AS/A2! Thats very naive and i think rather big headed! Wait and see how they come, and dont try and show off about how difficult people might find them, in comparison to how easy you find them
Reply 77
Sam_B
i did computing. big mistake. its incredibly hard, possibly the hardest subject to get an A in.

Ditto
Reply 78
Kavanne
Had more experience than a person who has just done GCSEs, which are completely different. Don't you agree?

Perhaps but everyone can have an opinion :smile:
Reply 79
Computing was my easiest AS (on top of Biology, Chemistry and Maths). About 1hr revision outside of lessons and got an A. I hated the subject though but was helped that my teacher kept repeating the same thing about 200 times every lesson like a parrot and that the AQA exams are virtually identical every year.

Latest