The Student Room Group

TOEFL and IGCSE

I just saw that many British unis asked for proofs that the applicant has sufficient knowledge of English. Many of them ask for a certain TOEFL grade (and do not seem to accept other qualifications)

I'm in a bilingual school, I wrote my PS in an elaborated and eloquent style, and above all I took the IGCSE last year (or two years ago) and achieved A and A*, and I also achieved an A in Cambridge's FCE (First Certificate of English)

Do I really have to take the TOEFL? Cuz apparently, the IGCSE (and even the FCE) are more challenging and require a deeper knowledge of English.
I'm sure the IGCSE is more than sufficient - especially seeing as many schools here in the UK offer it on their curriculum instead of GCSE English, so its treated with equivalence.
Reply 2
I teach the IGCSE. I'm pretty sure it will do as proving your level of English! Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 3
Ok, thank you very much :wink:
they are being really strict on this, a bit like the US with their SATs...
Reply 4
Who's "they"?
Reply 5
the universities, indirectly though (mainly with the entry requirements)
The point is can they ask for the TOEFL and ignore any other diplomas, as some of "them" seem to do?
Cuz it really bothers me to take the TOEFL...and I know that I have a sufficient level to study there.
Reply 6
If the TOEFL was free to take then I would just suck it up and take it, knowing that I would get a good score.
However, I'm pretty sure it's not :biggrin: So if they demand that you do then I perhaps wouldn't want to go there knowing that they knew so little about the qualifications I did have...
Reply 7
I took my Igcse Last year and I scored B .Do I have to take TOEFL too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending