The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
how come no one wants to go to wantage (does it have a reputation I should know about?) it looks so nice!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 41
WABHJ
how come no one wants to go to wantage (does it have a reputation I should know about?) it looks so nice!

Wantage has been stereotyped as snobbish. The new block is also HORRIBLE (I know someone who used to live there), but the old block is quite nice. It's also quite pricey and off campus.
I want to apply for Mackinder and Stenton, but as I've got a conditional offer I can't apply till April-is it first come first allocated?
Reply 43
todaystonight
I want to apply for Mackinder and Stenton, but as I've got a conditional offer I can't apply till April-is it first come first allocated?

As far as I know, all hall applications for first years are considered after 1st August, so it's not first come first served per se, especially as students with disabilities will take special consideration. At the moment, second and final years are applying for hall places and final years take preference over first years. Hall places will exceed demand for 2010, so there's no need to panic.
hannahradford
As far as I know, all hall applications for first years are considered after 1st August, so it's not first come first served per se, especially as students with disabilities will take special consideration. At the moment, second and final years are applying for hall places and final years take preference over first years. Hall places will exceed demand for 2010, so there's no need to panic.

Thanks! I really want an en-suite.
So do you not hear back about which accomadation you have been given until after you've got your A-level results?
Reply 45
I'm thinking Windsor or Maybe the Crescent at a push if i have to. Want to stay on campus and have catered so not a huge amount of choice there i guess.
Reply 46
todaystonight
Thanks! I really want an en-suite.
So do you not hear back about which accomadation you have been given until after you've got your A-level results?

From what I remember, I don't think you do, no.
Reply 47
k823127
I'm thinking Windsor or Maybe the Crescent at a push if i have to. Want to stay on campus and have catered so not a huge amount of choice there i guess.

St Pats and Wantage really aren't that far from campus, like 5mins from the main entrance. Windsor is closer to the heart of campus than the Crescent, but the Crescent is ensuite.
is mackinder and stenton the only ones with en-suite avaliable to first years?
Reply 49
todaystonight
is mackinder and stenton the only ones with en-suite avaliable to first years?

+ St Georges
Reply 50
bizzbusta
+ St Georges

..and student village, plus the odd non-mature first year gets a place in Sherfied. There's also Bulmershe, but that's over on the other campus.
St Patrick's is proper lush. Here are some points about it that I think make it a good hall for your reference :smile:

- catered, cafe shamrock is VERY flexible due to points system
- great social life - JCR very active, lots and lots of socials and parties!
- really big common room with huge tv, sky tv etc
- Old court is very nice, more homely but New Court is very sociable - long mixed corridors = lots of fun :biggrin:
- even though you're catered, you get a nicely furninshed kitchen with appliances per corridor/block
- literally a two minute walk from shops/kebab shop (AK Superstore is much better than Mace - rip off!)
- ten minute walk to campus, twenty minute walk to further buildings i.e Computer Science/Agriculture
- twenty minute walk to town/Upin Arms
- rooms are relatively large and warm - large cupboards, lots of storage space
- Paddy's Bar

if I think of any more, I'll add them :smile:
Do many first years choose student village?
Reply 53
Is St George's included when you apply in April (for conditionals), or is that applied for seperately due to it being run differently :s-smilie:?
frosty92
Is St George's included when you apply in April (for conditionals), or is that applied for seperately due to it being run differently :s-smilie:?

Both St George's and the Student Village are on the same online application form as the other halls :smile:
Would like en-suite and catered, but en-suite is my priority, so Crescent/Mackinder are my favourites.
hannahradford
It doesn't matter what bridges is like, they're demolishing it this summer.

Whiteknights is now "Dusdan Crescent".

Does anyone know anything about Dusdan Crescent, I didn't notice it on the accommodation leaflet?
Also, do you have any idea on the cost??
Reply 57
hellorebecca
Does anyone know anything about Dusdan Crescent, I didn't notice it on the accommodation leaflet?
Also, do you have any idea on the cost??

http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/accommodation/NewStudents/Whiteknights_Freshers.aspx

That's the info for arrivals last year.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/life-accommodation-costs.aspx

That will give you an idea about cost.

As will the halls handbook from the first link.
hannahradford
http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/accommodation/NewStudents/Whiteknights_Freshers.aspx

That's the info for arrivals last year.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/life-accommodation-costs.aspx

That will give you an idea about cost.

As will the halls handbook from the first link.

Thank you, that was actually really helpful!
GapYearGirl
Hi

I haven't seen a sample room, just the pictures in the leaflet and at the open day. Prices will be somewhere between £4800 or £5000 I've heard. I spoke to the accommodation office last week and this is what they said

I think the 2009-10 prices are still on the accommodation section of the website so if you use that you should be able to estimate how much. I haven't actually done that because I really want ensuite so I decided to just go for it.

I'm going to be studying Environmental Science, and you?

You seem pretty knowledgable about the new Halls.. Where abouts are they? The map the website has doesn't seem to have them on!

Latest

Trending

Trending