The Student Room Group

Getting expelled from university

Disabled. On probation in a research postgraduate course at a top Scottish university since March, failed two probations in a row, embroiled in disputes with narcissists who never take responsibility for their service failure ultimately failing out.

They told me I would be awarded a PG Diploma which I find shameful to accept since it doesn't require thesis submission and literally means erasing my two years of research effort.

Did get a legal representative involved who agrees with me that I complete the two-stage academic appeal process on my own just submitted the stage 1 appeal three days ago from a cost perspective (stage 1: 5 + 5 working days; stage 2: 10 + 10 + ??? working days overlapping Christmas break).

I know the chance is slim and have prepared to literally say goodbye to everyone I know in the hall of residence I have stayed for more than two years.

What's worse is my application for Adult Disability Payment has recently been rejected for which I just made a redetermination request on the basis of my lack of employability and old age of my retired parents who would not be able to fund me forever.

Also facing the threat of homeless since my hall place is contingent upon my student status. Household vacancies are limited in the town sigh.
Reply 1
Anyone going through similar?
Reply 2
you're not going to be effectively homeless any time soon so i wouldn't* panic about housing just yet; under normal circumstances eviction takes several months and with the current scottish eviction ban it takes at least 6 months longer from when court grants an order. sure you seen this on the shelter website cuz you're good at figuring things out.*

you've done what you can do about the academic appeal. if anything i would say spend free time researching jobs you can apply for in the new year. wdym 'lack of employability' as per your benefits appeal? you have employable skills; surely if you're insistent that you're capable of studying a postgraduate degree you have the brain power to do some kind of work?*
Reply 3
Original post by Genesiss
you're not going to be effectively homeless any time soon so i wouldn't* panic about housing just yet; under normal circumstances eviction takes several months and with the current scottish eviction ban it takes at least 6 months longer from when court grants an order. sure you seen this on the shelter website cuz you're good at figuring things out.*

you've done what you can do about the academic appeal. if anything i would say spend free time researching jobs you can apply for in the new year. wdym 'lack of employability' as per your benefits appeal? you have employable skills; surely if you're insistent that you're capable of studying a postgraduate degree you have the brain power to do some kind of work?*

The flat is owned by the university, i.e. not technically private housing in terms of local housing laws, and final confirmation termination of studies would allow them to issue me a five-day notice to leave.

I may have employable skills, but that is not a guarantee. A lot of PhD graduates are jobless as well. My point is that my physical disability, which makes the matter worse, is preventing me from getting a job since (1) it is more than common for employers to see us as a potential burden and deny us opportunities. It is a systemic issue not fixable by the Equality Act of 2010 (2) travelling and practical issues caused by my physical disability simply makes point (1) worse.

It may be hard for you to understand, but never mind...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending