The Student Room Group

I LOATHE chemistry.

I'm doing chemistry AS at the moment and as you know its time for januarary exams. I hate the lessons, i try listening but i just end up talking to pass the time. I hate the subject itself; i'll type up English, Physics and Maths notes but when it comes to Chemistry i just leave it. And leave it. Then they don't get typed up.

Its come to time to revise and i'm now realising how much I hate it. I found this last year aswell. I naively carried on due to the Maths-Physics-Chemistry combo. I want to take an art based subject for a bit of variation at home and school - graphics. I'm sure its too late to change so the only option i think is to take it as an extra AS next year. How would this affect my UCAS, would graphics have an effect? Do courses require that 4th AS level? Should i take chemistry this year and grind out a C or drop it?
Reply 1
You need to shift from that 'GCSE' attitude. You are at college to do subjects that you want to do. For me, stressing about an AS level you don't like isn't worth it. You can do the AS and the A2 for graphics next year - but you have to be committed... and be in the right mind set. You could do a 3rd year too if your college/sixth form allows it.
Reply 2
Yeah, AS exams have been alright for me - mainly because I like them. Hell I didn't revise for politics but it's the simple fact I like the subject and learn most of the terms etc in the class that make me do alright. Chemistry I hated back in year 9 - dropped it after a year, all I did was put my finger under the taps and turn it on, creating a cool, distratcing squirty effect at the table infront (one time we had some major water fight on it, and it went on the projector and yeah... didn't go down too well with the teacher lol).

But yeah seriously, take subjects you enjoy doing - it makes college so much more enjoyable and easier.
Reply 3
OneInSolidarity
I'm doing chemistry AS at the moment and as you know its time for januarary exams. I hate the lessons, i try listening but i just end up talking to pass the time. I hate the subject itself; i'll type up English, Physics and Maths notes but when it comes to Chemistry i just leave it. And leave it. Then they don't get typed up.

Its come to time to revise and i'm now realising how much I hate it. I found this last year aswell. I naively carried on due to the Maths-Physics-Chemistry combo. I want to take an art based subject for a bit of variation at home and school - graphics. I'm sure its too late to change so the only option i think is to take it as an extra AS next year. How would this affect my UCAS, would graphics have an effect? Do courses require that 4th AS level? Should i take chemistry this year and grind out a C or drop it?

sometimes it is up to you whether you really want to continue with the subject. you can always try to make the subject more interesting, might still not be too late to start now, draw out mind maps, remember important concepts, not too bogged down with details; chemistry is not impossible to learn, alright!

Latest