The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Nonbeatific
In my opinion, if you choose to go to university, you will be a much stronger candidate with relevant subjects. A close combination of subjects does not necessarily restrict your choices as much as a lot of people seem to suggest. Someone with related subjects (i.e. maths, physics, chemistry) will often have more options then a complete random set of subjects. You don't need to decide exactly what you would career you would like later on in life, but if you research enough you should find something that idea of the subjects you would want base this on.

hope that helps.

Aw I see the logic now. Well what if i took RS and History which are both artsy and essayish (also histroy is a subject i can probably imagine doing at uni) then round it off with something random like performing arts
Reply 21
Does anyone think i'm worried about this early on.
MrCharmed
Aw I see the logic now. Well what if i took RS and History which are both artsy and essayish (also histroy is a subject i can probably imagine doing at uni) then round it off with something random like performing arts

If you think you would enjoy performing arts, then go for it. You could also try something new, like economics, or politics if you think you would enjoy them. In the end, if you do something you don't enjoy, there is not much point.
have you thought about classics? its a bit of a cross between history and english lit (and for me the work load was less)
MrCharmed
Does anyone think i'm worried about this early on.

It can only be a good thing being more prepared, I wouldn't get to worked up over it though.
Reply 25
Chrosson
I cannot understand why people put capitals at the beginning of every single sodding word in a sentence. It's truly horrific. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain?

And OP, A-levels sound appropriate (dunno which ones), but I do suggest you think hard when thinking about whether you actually want to go to uni or not.
Contrary to what people on here may make you think, uni is not for everyone, especially someone who doesn't know what they want to do.

Oh my god! That is music to my ears. I'm so sick of the whole do sciences do a degree then, and only then, will you become midly happy or succesful.
Reply 26
MrCharmed
Oh my god! That is music to my ears. I'm so sick of the whole do sciences do a degree then, and only then, will you become midly happy or succesful.

If you hate your degree, you will drop out.
If you do a worthless degree, you get debt and little advantage.
You sound academically decent, so I do this A-levels are worth it if you can pull of some reasonable grades.
If at that point you still don't have a clue, leaving education is not a bad thing.
OP I'm going to repeat what people have said before: do what you enjoy doing! Don't choose a subject you're good at if you don't enjoy it, and don't do a subject because someone on a forum told you to do :P

It all depends on what college you go to, what the exam board is, and what the college offers.
Out of the subjects listed, I'm going to advise Biology, History and RS/Eng Lit - and the last three I can say, if the exam board is AQA they're really enjoyable and don't have the biggest amount of work to do.
But say you enjoy PA more than RS, then do PA. You aren't going to want to attend lessons and do the work if you don't enjoy it.
Reply 28
MrCharmed

Anf if you change your mind after a few years of working or whatever, you can apply to uni then if you want. If you're not sure what you want to do after A Levels, perhaps some time out of education or at least a gap year would be good for you.

I don't think you should feel pressured into spending a lot of money and time on something you're not going to enjoy or something you don't really want to do. :smile:
Reply 29
Biology, Psychology, History, Philosophy or Geography (?)
Reply 30
Biology, History, Maths, Drama

I know you say "no chance" for Maths but is that because you don't like it or because you think you're not good enough?

If you don't like Maths you could replace it with
Government and Politics
Philosophy
English Lit
Classical Civilisation
Economics
Reply 31
i'd go with, chem, biology, drama and possibly history. going to be honest. i took government and politics and bearly made it through the year...suicide was certainly an option :biggrin:
Reply 32
I was in the exact same position last year! In my school everyone who gets good results (as you will!) is usually forced into doing science because thats what the 'smart people' do. After I got my results I decided to do the subjects I wanted to rather than doing what other people thought was acceptable. I'm now doing my AS in history, geography, french and english literature and I really love them. Wouldn't change anything. I'd recommend history.. even though it's a lot of work! If you really enjoy it I'd definitely go with it. I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni but now i know i really want to continue on with history! Good luck! Just do what YOU want and what YOU enjoy.. it can only lead to something you will enjoy in the future.
Reply 33
MrCharmed
Math: B (no chance of taking A level)
English : C
Double Award Science: AA (would consider bio at A Level)
Tripple Science: AAA (predicted)
History: A* (predicted, really enjoy and find easy)
RS: A (predicted, relitvley enjoyable and not exactly hard or easy)
Drama: B/A (Hit or miss for me)
Eng lit: B (predicted, so so)

Just to let you know that I am only looking to take three as i am lazy and barely trust myself with that workload. And I couldnt give a **** what universities 'like' or what is respectable or mickey mouse subject or whatever. Oh and am willing to take subjests not studies at GCSE where posible.

Definitely take History, since you're so keen on it. You should take RS, or maybe Philosophy, as a second subject. Thirdly, I'd take Biology for some balance. Are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a 4th AS? You could take Philosophy and RS in the first year and then drop one if you're not comfortable. Also, don't count maths out yet - I hated it in GCSE and then switched into it at AS, and loved it. It gets so much better. You might want to look into it :3
I would definitely recommend doing 4 AS Levels - not because universities prefer you to have the extra AS, but because it gives you greater flexibility to drop something you're not enjoying. A good number of my friends only took 3 subjects at AS Level, and by the end of year 12 absolutely hated at least one of them, but had no choice but to continue with it because they had no alternative subject to fall back on. The workload isn't that bad, honestly.

Also, did you mention having to go to another school to study a certain subject? I had to do this to study Economics in year 12, and I'm SO glad I did. You widen your group of friends, gain confidence... it's a win-win, really.

Latest