The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We give much more than that to the third world who enter the country anyway, so what difference does it make? If it's not given to the suffering people of Haiti (who genuinely need it) it'll just be given to the immigrants who come here to take advantage of the state benefits.

It's important to realise that the UK would rather have its own ass in the **** and its own people suffering from the recession than to stop providing for all of the third world that flee here.
Reply 21
far be it from me to go telling you how you should think, or that your opinion is wrong..... but your opinion is wrong unfortunately. theres no way you can compare a large earthquake to a bit of snow. even trying to justify it by saying we should have had more grit provided or donated doesnt work. Grit salt is ineffective below -6 degrees, and the majority of the UK was between -9 and -15 so it would have been a complete waste even if it was donated. so no, it doesnt make you heartless, more narrowminded than anything :frown:
Jennybean
Jesus. Are you really that stupid? You and the OP genuinely think that the "problems" (not being able to drive around for a week or so, or having to USE YOUR OWN MEMORY CARDS, the shock, the horror) people face in the UK are in any way comparable to being at risk of STARVING TO DEATH???

I didn't say they're comparable. But this is our country and our money. The man next door might not have a winter jacket, and my mum might have 2 but if I'm going to go christmas shopping it's my mum I'm going to get a new one.
Reply 23
Yes, there's something very wrong with you if you cannot grasp how an earthquake killing hundreds of thousands of people from a poor nation and destroying the nations infrasturcture that could take years to fully rebuild, doesn't warrant aid and charity from a nation (recession or not) that is relatively well off in the global sense.
Reply 24
Original post by &#1610
I didn't say they're comparable. But this is our country and our money. The man next door might not have a winter jacket, and my mum might have 2 but if I'm going to go christmas shopping it's my mum I'm going to get a new one.

What if the guy next door was homeless and would die without the winter jacket? (Obviously farfetched but you get where its going)

Say (for the sake of argument) ALL jackets costed £10, and you only had a tenner... who would you buy it for?

Exactly...
Original post by &#1610

You do think they are comparable, as shown by your completely irrelevant analogy. To make it actually analogous (what a daring concept): the man next door is starving to death. Your mum has lots of food in the fridge. Do you share your food with the man next door or go out to Marks and do another grocery shop for your mum, leaving the man to die?

I literally cannot believe that you consider your school's budget more important than lives at stake. People like you are hilarious. I bet you're also one of these people that thinks immigration is a problem in this country, and gets annoyed by Polish grocery stores, but would love to move to Spain one day, insist on speaking English to all the locals and complain if you couldn't buy your copy of Heat in English from an English-speaking shopkeeper.
nitez
What if the guy next door was homeless and would die without the winter jacket? (Obviously farfetched but you get where its going)

Say (for the sake of argument) ALL jackets costed £10, and you only had a tenner... who would you buy it for?

Exactly...

Okay, that's a bad analogy, because to fully compare we'd have to say Britain has a jacket with holes and Haiti is homeless and has no jackets. I'm saying use a bit of that money to repair the holes in Britain's jacket and then help the rest of the world.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help Haiti at all, I'm saying we should invest a good bit of money we give to foreign aid into helping ourselves too.
Jennybean
You do think they are comparable, as shown by your completely irrelevant analogy. To make it actually analogous (what a daring concept): the man next door is starving to death. Your mum has lots of food in the fridge. Do you share your food with the man next door or go out to Marks and do another grocery shop for your mum, leaving the man to die?

I literally cannot believe that you consider your school's budget more important than lives at stake. People like you are hilarious. I bet you're also one of these people that thinks immigration is a problem in this country, and gets annoyed by Polish grocery stores, but would love to move to Spain one day, insist on speaking English to all the locals and complain if you couldn't buy your copy of Heat in English from an English-speaking shopkeeper.

Sigh. I suppose you didn't understand me then. I meant that we should fix our own problems out of some of the money we give abroad.

And how can you say I'm hilarious when you're assuming all this other stuff about me? No I'm not against immigration, close family members of mine are immigrants and I am also applying for citizenship elsewhere. And no, I don't speak to the locals of that country in English. I speak 4 languages. :wink:
Lol at comparing the situation to snow
Original post by &#1610
Sigh. I suppose you didn't understand me then. I meant that we should fix our own problems out of some of the money we give abroad.

And how can you say I'm hilarious when you're assuming all this other stuff about me? No I'm not against immigration, close family members of mine are immigrants and I am also applying for citizenship elsewhere. And no, I don't speak to the locals of that country in English. I speak 4 languages. :wink:

That's nice. It's a shame you couldn't have applied some of that apparent intelligence to this very simple logical problem then. Why are you under the impression that no funding is given to the UK's problems? (I think you're supposed to make a noise when you're backing up... you know, "beeeeep, beeeeep, beeeep, vehicle reversing"...)
Reply 30
Original post by &#1610
Okay, that's a bad analogy, because to fully compare we'd have to say Britain has a jacket with holes and Haiti is homeless and has no jackets. I'm saying use a bit of that money to repair the holes in Britain's jacket and then help the rest of the world.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help Haiti at all, I'm saying we should invest a good bit of money we give to foreign aid into helping ourselves too.

Wow, and with that said, I'm done...

"There's no cure for idiocy"

Have a nice life. :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by &#1610

That is also a terrible analogy.

A more accurate analogy would be:

Britain has a scratch on our bugatti veyron, while Haiti has no home, no clothes, no money, and will be unable to survive if it weren't for the kindness of strangers.
Reply 33
HyperGiant

Britain has a scratch on our bugatti veyron, while Haiti has no home, no clothes, no money, and will be unable to survive if it weren't for the kindness of strangers.

There's no helping her mate. Trust me, I've personally known people like her... :frown:

EDIT: Unless of course she's trolling which would be a little less pathetic but nevertheless extremely pathetic.
Reply 34
Anonymous
Please keep anon, I don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick :o:

So the recent earthquake in Haiti is really sad and it's awful that so many people died and many more left homeless... but should we, the United Kingdom, really be giving them money when there are so many problems we need to sort out here? When we are still coming out of a recession?

I'm sure the millions of pounds they've been given would be far more useful to our own economy, or the NHS. I don't like how people are so eager to give to people abroad but less so to UK charities.

If the UK got itself into some trouble, who would help us out? Haiti certainly wouldn't. Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out, so why do we feel the need to meddle in everything (Iraq...)?

I can see your point! There always seems to be a "whip-round" for something! And it's NOT just poor countries, I distinctly recall people asking for money for victims of hurricane Katrine!

I think the problem is that Nick Griffin said something similar and the rule is that if Nick Griffin said it, it MUST be lies. Unfortunately in this case, pensioners WILL die in the winter (cos that's what old people do - die)

I'd be less concerned about 19million to Haiti and more concerned with Gordon Brown's "laptops for gypos" policy which will cost us more than £300 million.
HyperGiant

I'd still fix that scratch first, have fun. I suppose all the hormones come out at night time on TSR

Oh and to Nitez.. er you don't know what I'm like. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean you know all about that person, like JennyBean.
Reply 36
I'd say your not a heartless cow, but it is a selfish view.
I can see where your coming from and if it were perhaps a MEDC country that could cope with a natural disaster maybe then i would agree, but Haiti is in dire need of help, their government cannot afford to help the people, they're asking for food, water and basic medical supplies, we can provide that. Haiti cant give just us some salt.
Reply 37
Freddy Jnr
I can see your point! There always seems to be a "whip-round" for something! And it's NOT just poor countries, I distinctly recall people asking for money for victims of hurricane Katrine!

I think the problem is that Nick Griffin said something similar and the rule is that if Nick Griffin said it, it MUST be lies. Unfortunately in this case, pensioners WILL die in the winter (cos that's what old people do - die)

I'd be less concerned about 19million to Haiti and more concerned with Gordon Brown's "laptops for gypos" policy which will cost us more than £300 million.

I disagree with most of your point. But calling for relief for hurricane katrina?!?!? wtf????

Shame on America. One of the richest countries in the world not wanting to pay out and help it's poor and needy, and asking for money like it was another 3rd world country.

makes me sick
It's all about perspective.

If we class food, water, shelter and medical supplies as the basic necessities for life, and judge everything else on that from the same perspective, it's immediately apparent that Haiti is suffering, whereas Britain is actually doing fairly well, not floundering, as you've implied OP. Yes, the recession is hitting us, but not crippling us and depriving us of these basic necessities.

I always thought it was human nature to want to look after someone who was suffering if you could, but I also think that unfortunately people like to look after number one first - a viewpoint I also understand.

OP you're not a heartless bitch, just more self-absorbed than most.
OP

You do realise we're only giving them money because when we get into climate troubles ourselves there will be international aid to help us. I'm sure there's a treaty published in the EU stating we should help each other in states of emergency?
How would you feel if there was a flood in the UK and millions of us lost our homes. Would you not expect international aid to relieve our situation?
W're doing all this to gain benefit eventually. Besides it's human instinct to help each other, just like a mother dog would care for it's pups.:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending