The Student Room Group

How do I deal with my very "Stubborn" Mom

My Mom is the most stubborn person I've ever met. She always thinks I have a tone about something I say. She says I always have an attitude. One time I was doing the dishes and I got soapy water splashed into my eye. So I turned around making a frowny face and my brother was there. He went upstairs and told my mom that I made a face at him. She said she believed him. This is what got me really upset. He is 6 years old. why are you believing everything a SIX year old says? Now I'm upset and start crying. Now My mom is yelling at me for crying! She said that I was disrespectful. She didn't even talk to me for the whole day. to be fair I didn't want her to.
SHe is so stubborn that when I asked her a question she didn't hear it. I said it again and she said was that a tone? EVEN MY DAD SAID IT WASN'T AND I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT.
Help me!!!

(P.S. She's sending me to therapy)
Reply 1
Original post by Nicki vs Cardi
My Mom is the most stubborn person I've ever met. She always thinks I have a tone about something I say. She says I always have an attitude. One time I was doing the dishes and I got soapy water splashed into my eye. So I turned around making a frowny face and my brother was there. He went upstairs and told my mom that I made a face at him. She said she believed him. This is what got me really upset. He is 6 years old. why are you believing everything a SIX year old says? Now I'm upset and start crying. Now My mom is yelling at me for crying! She said that I was disrespectful. She didn't even talk to me for the whole day. to be fair I didn't want her to.
SHe is so stubborn that when I asked her a question she didn't hear it. I said it again and she said was that a tone? EVEN MY DAD SAID IT WASN'T AND I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT.
Help me!!!

If I were you I’d make sure to call a relevant child mental welfare hotline and tell them about your situation. They’re acquainted with these things. The situation you just described is not healthy and is serious.
If you can’t because you’re afraid that your mom will find out, tell the school. Tell them your concerns and what should be done without letting them alert the mom first. Oftentimes the school contacts a relevant hotline to help if they do not have the necessary counsellors.
That being said, I don’t know the full story. Things may be recalled differently to how it actually happened depending on how you felt at that specific moment, and maybe your mom is going through stuff that also might need to be acknowledged.
Do what you know is right for your mental health.

Hope all turns out well soon.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If I were you I’d make sure to call a relevant child mental welfare hotline and tell them about your situation. They’re acquainted with these things. The situation you just described is not healthy and is serious.
If you can’t because you’re afraid that your mom will find out, tell the school. Tell them your concerns and what should be done without letting them alert the mom first. Oftentimes the school contacts a relevant hotline to help if they do not have the necessary counsellors.
That being said, I don’t know the full story. Things may be recalled differently to how it actually happened depending on how you felt at that specific moment, and maybe your mom is going through stuff that also might need to be acknowledged.
Do what you know is right for your mental health.

Hope all turns out well soon.

Thanks so much. I did tell the school but they didn't contact any helpline services. which I'm thankful for cause I'll just get into more trouble. Its sad that I have to hide my emotions from her and seem heartless but if that's what have to be done. Then I'll do it
Original post by Nicki vs Cardi

Projection from your mum, or what? Sounds like she's the one that should be going to therapy.
And how American! Any issues, go to therapy. Instead of taking responsibility, working things out for yourself and making the necessary changes.

Either move out and go and live with your dad.

Or go into rebellion mode. I have an older brother that was a master at that.
Watch the old British comedy programme Porridge for inspiration on how to rebel and get small victories when stuck in an oppressive regime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending