The Student Room Group

Why do we cringe when nails scratch blackboards......

Hey, does anyone have an idea about why we feel uneasy when someone scratches their fingernails against a blackboard or when you scratch a fork against a plate or something? I was just having some dinner and somehow scratched my bowl with my fork and *shuuders*, I began to wonder why this happens. Is it some reflex reaction which has evolved in humans as time has gone by or is it due to some neurochemicals being released? I would really interested in what people have to say.....because I'm still feeling uneasy about it and I can just about taste the metalness of the fork in my mouth.....

Scroll to see replies

Probably causes your bones to vibrate at an awkward frequency or something, and this causes a reflex.

I don't know!
Reply 2
It goes right thorugh us! I don't know, ask a scientist..?
Reply 3
it could be something to do with resonence
Reply 4
jediknight007
Hey, does anyone have an idea about why we feel uneasy when someone scratches their fingernails against a blackboard or when you scratch a fork against a plate or something? I was just having some dinner and somehow scratched my bowl with my fork and *shuuders*, I began to wonder why this happens. Is it some reflex reaction which has evolved in humans as time has gone by or is it due to some neurochemicals being released? I would really interested in what people have to say.....because I'm still feeling uneasy about it and I can just about taste the metalness of the fork in my mouth.....

i dont kno.....but i hate it

shudders thinking about it
Reply 5
curryADD
i dont kno.....but i hate it

shudders thinking about it

ditto, i feel weird just thinking about it. Its a bit like when your nail scrapes a brick real hard. I was running in a race once, and i kind of stopped against a wall. My nail just scraped the wall really loudly and then it broke..
Reply 6
jediknight007

who knows :confused:

talking about nails... i have fake nails on (don't ask, someone at work did them for me) + they look really good + don't ping off at all... but that's the problem, they won't come off at all + i'm worried they're going to wreck my already dreadful nails. anyone got any suggestions?

lou xxx
Reply 7
lou p

talking about nails... i have fake nails on (don't ask, someone at work did them for me) + they look really good + don't ping off at all... but that's the problem, they won't come off at all + i'm worried they're going to wreck my already dreadful nails. anyone got any suggestions?

lou xxx

I've had this problem many a time.... :tongue:
Reply 8
gemgems89
It goes right thorugh us! I don't know, ask a scientist..?

like me
Reply 9
lou p

lou xxx

go to a nail place and have them taken on

are these pro fake nails or amateurly done?

if there pro they will, if not and she didnt use a little scraper thingy on your nails you should be fine
lou p

lou xxx

My sister does nails..ask her.
Reply 11
gemgems89
My sister does nails..ask her.

ok gemgems sister what are nails?
Reply 12
lou p

lou xxx

hmm if there fake,there going to start to come of slowly, and when there about half way down your real nail, get a sfarp file and start to scrape them off from underneath. It hurts but its fast. My friends do it, there could be an easier way but i dont know of it.
Reply 13
eric bischoff

the thingys on the end of your fingers
eric bischoff

My sister is 29, so she doesn't live with me. So she can't be of any help right now.

I'm going now, try and get better for tomorrow.

Goodnight all! :smile:
Reply 15
theone
I've had this problem many a time.... :tongue:

I know what you mean
Reply 16
gemgems89
My sister is 29, so she doesn't live with me. So she can't be of any help right now.

I'm going now, try and get better for tomorrow.

Goodnight all! :smile:

goodnight, get well soon! ive lost my voice...hope you dont! :frown:
Reply 17
Anna
hmm if there fake,there going to start to come of slowly, and when there about half way down your real nail, get a sfarp file and start to scrape them off from underneath. It hurts but its fast. My friends do it, there could be an easier way but i dont know of it.

soak them in warm water with asitone

supposed to make them looser and break the glue bonds
Reply 18
curryADD
the thingys on the end of your fingers

why nail your fingers into the floor?
Reply 19
Anna
goodnight, get well soon! ive lost my voice...hope you dont! :frown:

peace at last :biggrin:

Latest

Trending