The Student Room Group

uni kicking me out for attendance?

my university emailed me today to say they are withdrawing me for poor attendance. i've emailed back saying i've completed every module and never failed a single one, in fact i've usually gotten good grades, but i'm now really upset and anxious. i'm in my final year and we have two more modules, are they really going to cancel out all that work?
Original post by Dreemie
my university emailed me today to say they are withdrawing me for poor attendance. i've emailed back saying i've completed every module and never failed a single one, in fact i've usually gotten good grades, but i'm now really upset and anxious. i'm in my final year and we have two more modules, are they really going to cancel out all that work?

Hi Dreemie,

I'm sorry to hear! I used to work in Student Services and unfortunately attendance is something that the university will monitor.

Are you able to talk to your head of year or someone from student services? Depending on the course you may have obtained some credits which would could be recorded and possibly used?
Reply 2
Original post by archistdntnotes
Hi Dreemie,

I'm sorry to hear! I used to work in Student Services and unfortunately attendance is something that the university will monitor.

Are you able to talk to your head of year or someone from student services? Depending on the course you may have obtained some credits which would could be recorded and possibly used?

i've emailed student services, i'm not sure of what you mean by obtaining credits though
Original post by Dreemie
i've emailed student services, i'm not sure of what you mean by obtaining credits though

I am not sure what course you do but most courses will have different modules that are worth a certain amount of credits. There might be 120 credits per year for example. If you have passed your first and second year then you might have passed 240 credits which could be used for a different university or might be worth some kind of qualification or certificate.
Presumably they've been in touch previously regarding your attendance? If you didn't engage with them about that, then yes, they absolutely can withdraw you.
Reply 5
In short, yes they can.

But this will not have come out of the blue, and I suspect that we are not getting the full story.

For instance, one of my students were withdrawn for non-engagement: they passed everything but did not attend and rarely used Blackboard. The process to withdraw took months, and began with us first trying to contact the student via several avenues, in order to ascertain if there was a problem with which we could help. Have you been ignoring contact?

I have never seen an institution jump straight in with a withdrawal. There is a process during which there are ample opportunities to iron out issues.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
In short, yes they can.

But this will not have come out of the blue, and I suspect that we are not getting the full story.

For instance, one of my students were withdrawn for non-engagement: they passed everything but did not attend and rarely used Blackboard. The process to withdraw took months, and began with us first trying to contact the student via several avenues, in order to ascertain if there was a problem with which we could help. Have you been ignoring contact?

I have never seen an institution jump straight in with a withdrawal. There is a process during which there are ample opportunities to iron out issues.

I know it sounds ridiculous for me to say that I've received nothing before this about my attendance, but I honestly haven't. I don't gain anything from lying anonymously on the internet about this issue I'm having. They have me until next week to appeal or they're withdrawing me. I checked my email thoroughly, in case I've missed anything.
Reply 7
Original post by Dreemie
I know it sounds ridiculous for me to say that I've received nothing before this about my attendance, but I honestly haven't. I don't gain anything from lying anonymously on the internet about this issue I'm having. They have me until next week to appeal or they're withdrawing me. I checked my email thoroughly, in case I've missed anything.

I am afraid that I don't believe this.

I suppose it is possible that you read at an institution with inept processes and procedures, but I have nevervseen or even heard of this before.

You had better appeal and hope for the best, and my guess is that the appeal can only succeed on.procedural grounds, I.e. you claim they have not followed relevant procedures.

You need to speak to your academic advisor snd the student union ASAP.
As others have said, despite it being a weird few years, you aren't really allowed to just opt out of attendance. Is there a specific reason why you did?

If it was me I would urgently beg, plead misunderstanding and pledge to attend every little thing, do everything I could to convince them I was serious about the course.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
As others have said, despite it being a weird few years, you aren't really allowed to just opt out of attendance. Is there a specific reason why you did?

If it was me I would urgently beg, plead misunderstanding and pledge to attend every little thing, do everything I could to convince them I was serious about the course.

at times i've not attended things because of work, anxiety around travel and not having the right equipment to do anything in class. though that said, I just checked my attendance and it says i have 0%, which definitely isnt right because i have been attending things i've needed to and i've also been checking in online when that has been an option. so i think there's some kind of admin error there.
still, the threat they would withdraw me for attendance without any notice is pretty scary
I imagine they probably have full right to withdraw you based on attendance, regardless of performance the same as any other education institution. Have you checked to see if they have an attendance policy?
And this how I came to the realization that University/studying/working is nothing to do with grades and qualifications and rather something much more sinister. I was in the exact same position and just left cause its stupid. You wont get any sympathy from people on here, because a lot are lecturers/ teachers and therefore are so into the system. Since it looks like you want to continue with it , I hope you find a resolution and can only suggest really chasing them up about it.
Reply 12
Original post by JustGettinBy
I imagine they probably have full right to withdraw you based on attendance, regardless of performance the same as any other education institution. Have you checked to see if they have an attendance policy?

i've not been able to find an actual attendance policy, but i have found on the site where they tell you how to record attendance, they have said that they intend to "support" people with low attendance. so i feel like they have made an error in jumping to the withdrawal email, since there has been nothing passed onto me about upping my attendance at any point before now.
Original post by Dreemie
i've not been able to find an actual attendance policy, but i have found on the site where they tell you how to record attendance, they have said that they intend to "support" people with low attendance. so i feel like they have made an error in jumping to the withdrawal email, since there has been nothing passed onto me about upping my attendance at any point before now.

Ask them if they do have an attendance policy buried anywhere in their terms that you might have missed - Also explain that you haven't had any prior warnings or notes about attendance if you haven't and inquire as to why they're jumping straight to a possible withdrawal letter.

Did you communicate to the University the reasons why you were missing lectures etc frequently before now?
Original post by Dreemie
at times i've not attended things because of work, anxiety around travel and not having the right equipment to do anything in class. though that said, I just checked my attendance and it says i have 0%, which definitely isnt right because i have been attending things i've needed to and i've also been checking in online when that has been an option

Definitely a strong case you’re putting up…
Nevertheless good luck to you
Reply 15
Ask them if they do have an attendance policy buried anywhere in their terms that you might have missed - Also explain that you haven't had any prior warnings or notes about attendance if you haven't and inquire as to why they're jumping straight to a possible withdrawal letter.

Did you communicate to the University the reasons why you were missing lectures etc frequently before now?

I have explained that now, and I'm going to also do that on Friday in person since that's my next lecture

Yes I've always emailed in about my attendance if I'm missing/working from home.
Reply 16
Original post by Dreemie

This is usually in the programme handbook, and might not be labelled as a 'policy'. They will usually tell you which aspects are compulsory and which are not. Where I work, the lectures or optional (because their format allows asynchronous engagement), but tutorials and workshops are compulsory.

When something is stated as 'compulsory', the expectation might be that a student entering to read at degree level can make an inference about the expectations: i.e. not going to compulsory sessions might cause a problem.

You could be right that it is a mistake- if it is, it's a bad one. You need to speak to people ASAP, and before Friday.
Original post by jack456789
And this how I came to the realization that University/studying/working is nothing to do with grades and qualifications and rather something much more sinister. I was in the exact same position and just left cause its stupid. You wont get any sympathy from people on here, because a lot are lecturers/ teachers and therefore are so into the system. Since it looks like you want to continue with it , I hope you find a resolution and can only suggest really chasing them up about it.

Hardly. I couldn't give a shiny one if students turn up or not, outside of the obvious duty of care and safeguarding concerns. But there are plenty of pedagogical issues with this,and there are more practical concerns; especially when examinations are for a large part remote and so student authorship and academic integrity is not guaranteed. Added to which, most students do need active engagement (and so attendance) to achieve fully - it would not be right to exclude people from this on the off-chance they get decent maks.
Original post by Dreemie

Can I ask which university this is?
I'm in a similar position and have spoken with student wellbeing but still have graduation anxiety...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending