The Student Room Group

Why do people celebrate birthdays?

I am really struggling to understand why 18+ year olds celebrate birthdays to the fullest if they haven't achieved anything. This could be getting good results, getting an internship or job or doing something really good or great. Now if you have done **** at university, haven't been able to get any internship or job or just generally been a waste...how can you justify celebrating a birthday?

Don't want to sound like a depressed soul but I myself won't celebrate until I have done something worthwhile with my life.

PS By the way I understand why little kids celebrate birthdays....

A lot of comments have said you have lived another year...but the average age is 75+ in this country, so how is it exactly an achievement to live another year? The money you guys spend on drinks etc should be sent to africa so the kids there can celebrate their birthday where the average age is less than half here...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why not?

What possible reason is there to NOT celebrate it? :s-smilie:
cpj1987
Why not?

What possible reason is there to NOT celebrate it? :s-smilie:

If you haven't got anything to celebrate about, why celebrate? I am really struggling to understand this concept! I was brought up to celebrate when I've achieved something worthwhile! Do most people live life for the sake of it and don't live life to achieve something?
We're not all boring people who need a rational reason to explain everything we do? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
prospectivEEconomist
If you haven't got anything to celebrate about, why celebrate? I am really struggling to understand this concept! I was brought up to celebrate when I've achieved something worthwhile! Do most people live life for the sake of it and don't live life to achieve something?

I celebrate my birthday because it's fun. It's tradition. It's an excuse to take a day off work and do something a bit different.
Reply 5
The fact you have now been alive x number of years is perfect reason to celebrate... you've achieved being alive for that long... that is a bigger achievement than anything else in life, life itself is the achievement! don't be surprised if people don't turn up to your birthdays if you have that attitude =P
Reply 6
Because they like cake?
Reply 7
....You celebrate the fact that you're still alive after another year. Quite a few people don't manage to even achieve that.
Reply 8
I like presents :yep:
Reply 9
It's my birthday today. Don't be such a spoil sport!
Reply 10
cbrown27

Is it really? If so, happy birthday! (don't hate me, OP!)
lol at the comments

celebrate that you've lived another life on earth!

also it's a day to have fun and forget about the troubles in your life ( not to mention gifts and cake, don't deny it, you know you love it :P)
Reply 12
Caaaaakkeeee!! :cake: :biggrin:

cbrown

Happy birthday! :present: :smile:
Reply 13
Because Stone Cold said so. :cool:
Reply 14
Yeahh why :hmpf:

You're only celebrating another year closer to your death :holmes:
Reply 15
OP you spend most of your tsr time on general university discussion forum. I think there's another reason why you've made this thread.
Reply 16
cbrown27

Hapy birthday!! Got anything planned?! Time to Celebrate!!! *hides*
Maybe you could celebrate being alive?
Reply 18
1/365 - it's not asking much is it.
*MJ*
Because Stone Cold said so. :cool:

...and that's the bottom line *smashes cans of beer* :laugh:

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending