The Student Room Group

Who's in the wrong, me or my best friend?

I had a really close friend who was like my sister for 5 years. I really trusted and loved her like family. In the past year before our friendship ended, we stopped talking as much. I think we were drifting apart. I tried reaching out to ask how she was and she would reply disinterested and slowly.

I asked her if everything is ok because she felt distant, and she said no it’s fine she’s just busy with life. Which I accepted. She apologised for her late replies. But she said she was going away with her boyfriend for her birthday and when she came back we would celebrate our birthdays together. But when she came back, she celebrated her birthday with her other friends, posted it on social media, left my texts on unopened (replying to her saying we should do our birthdays together) and didn’t acknowledge my birthday either. Our birthdays are a month apart and I bought her a present I'd asked her about months before.

I felt she was ghosting me so I sent her a message to basically end our friendship. I said I wish her well and I’ll always care for her etc. she left it on read a week later.

She is apparently blaming me for the demise of our friendship, saying I overreacted and that even though she knows she did hurt me it didn’t mean I should end our friendship. That I ended it over something stupid. She said to a mutual friend that she never wants to talk to me again as I am "a fake friend and she thought I was realer than that."

I reached out again a year later to ask how she is, because I’m not sure if I’m in the wrong or not. But she hasn’t even opened it.

Am I to blame for our friendship ending? Did I behave badly or am I in the wrong? I care about her but should I just move on?
Original post by eh4e19
I had a really close friend who was like my sister for 5 years. I really trusted and loved her like family. In the past year before our friendship ended, we stopped talking as much. I think we were drifting apart. I tried reaching out to ask how she was and she would reply disinterested and slowly.

I asked her if everything is ok because she felt distant, and she said no it’s fine she’s just busy with life. Which I accepted. She apologised for her late replies. But she said she was going away with her boyfriend for her birthday and when she came back we would celebrate our birthdays together. But when she came back, she celebrated her birthday with her other friends, posted it on social media, left my texts on unopened (replying to her saying we should do our birthdays together) and didn’t acknowledge my birthday either. Our birthdays are a month apart and I bought her a present I'd asked her about months before.

I felt she was ghosting me so I sent her a message to basically end our friendship. I said I wish her well and I’ll always care for her etc. she left it on read a week later.

She is apparently blaming me for the demise of our friendship, saying I overreacted and that even though she knows she did hurt me it didn’t mean I should end our friendship. That I ended it over something stupid. She said to a mutual friend that she never wants to talk to me again as I am "a fake friend and she thought I was realer than that."

I reached out again a year later to ask how she is, because I’m not sure if I’m in the wrong or not. But she hasn’t even opened it.

Am I to blame for our friendship ending? Did I behave badly or am I in the wrong? I care about her but should I just move on?

Hey, no you are not in the wrong. I went through a very similar situation to you.

She has shown you time and time again that she is not interested. Its the worst feeling. But, the best thing to do is stick by your decision. She doesn't seem mature, particularly if she is complaining about it to others.

I promise you, you will make more friends. I had this happen with an entire friend group - I had been friends with one for 10 years, another for 7 and the others for 4 years. I don't know why people change like that because it really hurts.

Stay civil with her but move on. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending