The Student Room Group

Short course PE? Future Oxford application?

This poll is closed

Would failing Short course PE affect Oxford application?

Yes15%
No85%
Total votes: 13
This might be a stupid question, but at my school I was put forward to sit the short course PE exam (I think everyone does?) even though we don't get properly taught the theory (only full course does, we just run around for an hour a week) - all together I'm predicted a B/C in it.

It's Edexcel Short Course PE, multiple choice etc, and I'm wondering whether I should pull out, and not be entered for the exam as if I get a D (as I did in the mocks) it will look really bad next to my other (hopefully) A/A* grades and like I didn't put any effort in - I'm just really bad at sports.

Do you think getting a D in short course PE (if the worst comes :s) would seriously affect an Oxford application? Or will they understand it's compulsory / not very well taught & over look it?

:yep: For Biological Sciences btw
No, it won't affect your application but there would be no harm in trying to up the grade. You really don't need to be good at sports to get a good grade in a multiple choice test :wink:
Reply 2
I'm a grade B/C in practical work, but the written exam is not straight forward as I originally thought, especially without proper teaching!

So an example question would be; a massive table depicting different possibilities (under the headings A and B), then the question would be like "tick the box which applies"

A and B are correct
A and B are incorrect
A is correct but B is not
B is correct but A is not

So actually it's more than knowing a few key words or basic anatomy ;/ in one paper I got a D, once a C, by ticking different combinations of boxes...I think I'd do better guessing the full course exam as the questions aren't as confusing!
Poor teaching isn't much of a big deal at GCSE as you can get the information you need to make sure that you know what you are doing.

The syllabus tells you what you need to know and textbooks such as Hartigan's Essential GCSE PE for Edexcel cover the long and short course with examples that should help you tackle the pesky problem solving questions :smile:
Half a GCSE in a not-really-academic subject isn't going to affect your application.
Reply 5
They don't give a **** about non-academic GCSEs.
Reply 6
Pork and Beans
Half a GCSE in a not-really-academic subject isn't going to affect your application.

I hope that's the case :woo:
Reply 7
hehe, they won't care at all :p:
Reply 8
Niki_girl
This might be a stupid question, but at my school I was put forward to sit the short course PE exam (I think everyone does?) even though we don't get properly taught the theory (only full course does, we just run around for an hour a week) - all together I'm predicted a B/C in it.

It's Edexcel Short Course PE, multiple choice etc, and I'm wondering whether I should pull out, and not be entered for the exam as if I get a D (as I did in the mocks) it will look really bad next to my other (hopefully) A/A* grades and like I didn't put any effort in - I'm just really bad at sports.

Do you think getting a D in short course PE (if the worst comes :s) would seriously affect an Oxford application? Or will they understand it's compulsory / not very well taught & over look it?

:yep: For Biological Sciences btw

Hey, I was forced to do Edexcel short course PE. I put minimal work into it (didn't revise for the exam, but spent around 5 hours on coursework) and ended up with a B. I don't think they care too much as long as you do well in the other subjects. I got 10 A* and an A in my other subjects, including those which were relevant to my course and got an offer. Don't worry about it too much.

Another friend applied for a similar course to me (Engineering) in Cambridge and got exactly the same (10A*, 1A in the same subjects lol) but got a C in short course PE. They didn't care and he got an offer. There are far more important things to your application (interview, relevant grades, A level/IB predictions etc.). Focus on what's important.
Reply 9
CocoPop
Focus on what's important.

Everyone, you're right, I'll do the course as everyone has to do PE anyway - and if I only end up with a C, meh - I'll just have to make it up by getting straight As at A-level --> Like that'll be easy :s-smilie: lol
Reply 10
Niki_girl
Everyone, you're right, I'll do the course as everyone has to do PE anyway - and if I only end up with a C, meh - I'll just have to make it up by getting straight As at A-level --> Like that'll be easy :s-smilie: lol

Haha I have another idea. Don't do the coursework, don't do the exam, get a U and then you won't have to list it on your application!

Tactical thinking, but morally questionable xD

Latest

Trending

Trending