The Student Room Group

OCR G544 - Inferential tests

I'm really confused about these. My teacher hasn't really taught them at all and I've been silly enough to leave it until now to start learning them. I have two books, but both are saying different things concerning when the tests should be used, and I'm not really sure how we will have to apply them in the exam, whether we just have to know when to use them or if we have to actually conduct them or something. Advice, please, anyone?
Reply 1
LostHorizons
I'm really confused about these. My teacher hasn't really taught them at all and I've been silly enough to leave it until now to start learning them. I have two books, but both are saying different things concerning when the tests should be used, and I'm not really sure how we will have to apply them in the exam, whether we just have to know when to use them or if we have to actually conduct them or something. Advice, please, anyone?

Hi! COuld I actually ask what two books these are?
and btw, you don't need to actually apply them? All you need to know is what type of data and design, i.e. (independant design) they're used for. This goes for experiments and for correlations.
So are you sticking to knowing only the AS 15 core studies?
Have you got any useful resources?
I'm dying here! :frown:
Practice papers?
What are you trying to do, with what kind of data/design?
Reply 3
c0nfus3d
Hi! COuld I actually ask what two books these are?
and btw, you don't need to actually apply them? All you need to know is what type of data and design, i.e. (independant design) they're used for. This goes for experiments and for correlations.
So are you sticking to knowing only the AS 15 core studies?
Have you got any useful resources?
I'm dying here! :frown:
Practice papers?

It's an OCR revision guide (but one not approved/endorsed by OCR) and a very dodgy booklet that my college wrote for us. I'm waiting for the proper OCR book to arrive so I'll just rely on what it says in there.

I checked the specification the other day, and it says 'students can draw on studies from AS and A2', which to me implies that you don't have to use ones from both years, so yes I think I will just stick with AS :smile:

I've just been using this one book that's a revision guide for G544 (I think if you just type 'ocr g544 revision guide' in on amazon, you can find it). It's a bit iffy in some bits, but generally fine :smile:
Reply 4
LostHorizons
It's an OCR revision guide (but one not approved/endorsed by OCR) and a very dodgy booklet that my college wrote for us. I'm waiting for the proper OCR book to arrive so I'll just rely on what it says in there.

I checked the specification the other day, and it says 'students can draw on studies from AS and A2', which to me implies that you don't have to use ones from both years, so yes I think I will just stick with AS :smile:

I've just been using this one book that's a revision guide for G544 (I think if you just type 'ocr g544 revision guide' in on amazon, you can find it). It's a bit iffy in some bits, but generally fine :smile:

Ohh, thanks, and g'luck with the exam!
Take care!
:p:
Reply 5
LostHorizons

How did you find the test? Grade predictions?
I personally thought it went better than I imagined- everyone said that at my sixth form. Reckon there's a hope in hell, I could just about scrape an A
Reply 6
c0nfus3d
How did you find the test? Grade predictions?
I personally thought it went better than I imagined- everyone said that at my sixth form. Reckon there's a hope in hell, I could just about scrape an A

Hmm, it was...alright :p: I did plan on revising like mad the night/morning before, but in the end didn't, which wasn't wise, but I think it could have been a lot worse. I'm more or less expecting a high B/low A, ish. I only really need a mid C this year to meet my grades for uni, though, so it's nice to have the pressure taken off :biggrin:

What grades are you hoping for overall/what unis have you applied to/what for etc? :smile:
Reply 7
LostHorizons
Hmm, it was...alright :p: I did plan on revising like mad the night/morning before, but in the end didn't, which wasn't wise, but I think it could have been a lot worse. I'm more or less expecting a high B/low A, ish. I only really need a mid C this year to meet my grades for uni, though, so it's nice to have the pressure taken off :biggrin:

What grades are you hoping for overall/what unis have you applied to/what for etc? :smile:

:smile:
I'm hoping for an A so I can get an A*- bit ambitious, I know :awesome: but the sky's the limit! :biggrin:
I've applied for Economics Bsc at:

Warwick
UCL
Edinburgh
Birmingham

(rejected from Cambridge :smile: )
Reply 8
c0nfus3d
I'm hoping for an A so I can get an A*- bit ambitious, I know :awesome: but the sky's the limit! :biggrin:
I've applied for Economics Bsc at:

Warwick
UCL
Edinburgh
Birmingham

(rejected from Cambridge :smile: )

Ah, nice :smile: I'm half hoping for an A*, but in all honesty don't think I like the subject enough to work that hard at it, so it's probably not going to happen haha. I've applied for English at uni, so far have offers from York and Sheffield, a rejection from Oxford, withdrew from Warwick and STILL waiting for Leeds :mad: do you have any idea which university you are going to pick, assuming you get 4 offers?
Reply 9
LostHorizons
Ah, nice :smile: I'm half hoping for an A*, but in all honesty don't think I like the subject enough to work that hard at it, so it's probably not going to happen haha. I've applied for English at uni, so far have offers from York and Sheffield, a rejection from Oxford, withdrew from Warwick and STILL waiting for Leeds :mad: do you have any idea which university you are going to pick, assuming you get 4 offers?

You don't need to like something to do well in it! :smile:
Most likely Warwick- maybe Birmingham?
STILL waiting on Warwick! :frown:
And you?
c0nfus3d
You don't need to like something to do well in it! :smile:
Most likely Warwick- maybe Birmingham?
STILL waiting on Warwick! :frown:
And you?

True, but not liking something makes the prospect of working hard at it seem incredibly miserable :p:

I'm definitely putting York as my firm, and Sheffield as my insurance unless Leeds give me an offer, in which case they'll be my insurance :smile:
Reply 11
LostHorizons
True, but not liking something makes the prospect of working hard at it seem incredibly miserable :p:

I'm definitely putting York as my firm, and Sheffield as my insurance unless Leeds give me an offer, in which case they'll be my insurance :smile:

Oh right! Good luck with uni and stuff!
and psychology!
keep me posted in March! And I'll do likewise!
Original post by LostHorizons

It's a Philip Allan Brand, they are awesome! I had a doubt to ask as well.. How should one revise for the Section B and also what the hell is the inferential tests part. I'm lost!
Original post by LostHorizons

U withdrew from WARWICK? WHY!
Original post by MrFoCuS2K10
It's a Philip Allan Brand, they are awesome! I had a doubt to ask as well.. How should one revise for the Section B and also what the hell is the inferential tests part. I'm lost!

It's a year since I did this now, so in all honesty I don't remember what the section b part of the exam is :redface: for inferential tests I'm pretty sure all you need to know is when it would be appropriate to use what kind of test. You don't actually have to use the tests yourself in the exam to work out any results.

I withdrew from Warwick because I sort of went off the university after I applied, and by the time I got interviews there I had offers from others places I preferred.
Reply 15
Is there a inferential test for a observation :s-smilie: ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending