The Student Room Group

Oxford Uniq Summer School

Hi all.
Just wondering if anyone's been to this before, and whether it was good? Particularly interested in English Literature, by the way!
Also, any advice for applying? They require a personal statement, and whilst I think I have the grades to apply (9 A*, 2 A at GCSE), I'm somewhat daunted by the idea of writing a personal statement for it. :s-smilie:

Will it be a personal statement similar to applying for an undergraduate course?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Last year I was on the equivalent course (Sutton Trust Summer School) and it really is a fantastic opportunity to take - you get a real chance to love your subject and experience the type of teaching and subjects you would do at Oxford or Cambridge. Your grades would be very helpful in applying, and another key factor is if you're from state schools in an area where not many people apply to Oxbridge in general.

However, last year I didn't have to write a statement to apply for the summer school so this is a newer element - I would think that the statement would sum up your enthusiasm for your course but not on the same degree that you would for a UCAS form.

The statement has to be 2,000 characters or less (half the side of the UCAS statement!) and on the official guide for UNIQ summer schools it says that the statement should tell the summer school why you want to go there over the summer. Lemme copy and paste a few lines from it -

"Concentrate on telling us why you are interested in this summer school and tell us about your subject choice. Tell us the things about yourself that you think make you a good candidate for a place on UNIQ. There is no formula for writing this statement, because it does need to be personal. It will contain what you think are the important points about the summer school and your subject choice(s). It might include, therefore, your thoughts, your experience, your motivations, perhaps your hopes and expectations."

Don't worry though if you don't get into the summer - it's no baring on whether you would get into the university, as there are hundreds of people every year who get into Oxford without the summer school. Similarly, there are plenty of people who get rejected from Oxford after attending a summer school there. The best way to see it is as an opportunity to go and do the subject you love, in an academic environment and to enjoy a week at Oxford.

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to leave them here or PM me. =)
Reply 2
Does anyone know of any equivalent sort of courses in Oxbridge/other good UK universities that are open to students from abroad (I'm British but I live in France)?
I understand that ones for non-UK students are probably paying, but that's fine. I'm interested in studying English literature, by the way.
Thanks!
Reply 3
can year 13 students apply?
Reply 4
twilight-imagine
Last year I was on the equivalent course (Sutton Trust Summer School) and it really is a fantastic opportunity to take - you get a real chance to love your subject and experience the type of teaching and subjects you would do at Oxford or Cambridge. Your grades would be very helpful in applying, and another key factor is if you're from state schools in an area where not many people apply to Oxbridge in general.

However, last year I didn't have to write a statement to apply for the summer school so this is a newer element - I would think that the statement would sum up your enthusiasm for your course but not on the same degree that you would for a UCAS form.

The statement has to be 2,000 characters or less (half the side of the UCAS statement!) and on the official guide for UNIQ summer schools it says that the statement should tell the summer school why you want to go there over the summer. Lemme copy and paste a few lines from it -

"Concentrate on telling us why you are interested in this summer school and tell us about your subject choice. Tell us the things about yourself that you think make you a good candidate for a place on UNIQ. There is no formula for writing this statement, because it does need to be personal. It will contain what you think are the important points about the summer school and your subject choice(s). It might include, therefore, your thoughts, your experience, your motivations, perhaps your hopes and expectations."

Don't worry though if you don't get into the summer - it's no baring on whether you would get into the university, as there are hundreds of people every year who get into Oxford without the summer school. Similarly, there are plenty of people who get rejected from Oxford after attending a summer school there. The best way to see it is as an opportunity to go and do the subject you love, in an academic environment and to enjoy a week at Oxford.

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to leave them here or PM me. =)

So, definitely characters, not words, right?
Orwell
So, definitely characters, not words, right?

Yup, 2000 characters - that includes punctuation marks and spaces as well. So you're looking at about 300-350 words overall, maybe not even that.

resume

I don't think so, no. The program itself is to encourage people from lower backgrounds to apply to university so it wouldn't apply to Year 13 students.

jaimeraser
Does anyone know of any equivalent sort of courses in Oxbridge/other good UK universities that are open to students from abroad (I'm British but I live in France)?
I understand that ones for non-UK students are probably paying, but that's fine. I'm interested in studying English literature, by the way.
Thanks!

The summer schools take place in Oxbridge but aren't endorsed by the universities themselves as far as I'm aware. However, I'm not sure whether your status as a Briton abroad would affect your chances at a UNIQ summer school - the best thing is to contact the summer school and ask, I would guess.
resume

I'm not sure about that, but you could email them and ask? And what someone else said on here about it only being for people from state schools or something- that only applies to the Sutton Trust summerschools i.e. with cambridge. But im pretty sure the UNIQ summer school for oxford havn't said anything about that.
Reply 7
twilight-imagine

The summer schools take place in Oxbridge but aren't endorsed by the universities themselves as far as I'm aware.

I'm pretty sure they are - the website is an ox.ac.uk one and the university access office is doing all the recruiting and interviewing for the mentors, and the lectures/seminars/labs are all given by university staff.
Reply 8
The summer schools take place in Oxbridge but aren't endorsed by the universities themselves as far as I'm aware. However, I'm not sure whether your status as a Briton abroad would affect your chances at a UNIQ summer school - the best thing is to contact the summer school and ask, I would guess.

Thanks for the advice, but i had a look at the site, and i don't go to a state school (the International School of Paris) so I'm pretty sure I'm not eligible.

Latest

Trending

Trending