The Student Room Group

What's the deal with IB psychology?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, and as I'm sure you've figured out by now, I need some help with IB psychology SL.

Is there a study guide or some sort of official syllabus for the subject, like for everything else? Our teacher gives us an effload of handouts (mostly printed off from "sources" like psychology today) and makes us study from those, which, needless to say, makes it really annoying and near-impossible. I doubt that everyone across the world gets those exact same handouts, or that my teacher's retarded antipedagogical "teaching" method is used by all other psych teachers everywhere. I'm finding every other subject (except maybe French, which I don't know a word of) far easier, including maths HL. And let me just add, for no other subject do I need to do so much as reach for the book when I get home.

Also, what sorts of questions are found on the final exam? If they're anything like what our teacher gives us, she's not preparing us too well.

I think that finding psychology (at standard level) the hardest out of all of one's subjects, is indicative of something being seriously effed with the school in question.

Sorry about the rant, but as you can tell I'm a bit mad about all of this, and anxious about the biological perspective test tomorrow.
Reply 1
jura
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, and as I'm sure you've figured out by now, I need some help with IB psychology SL.

Is there a study guide or some sort of official syllabus for the subject, like for everything else? Our teacher gives us an effload of handouts (mostly printed off from "sources" like psychology today) and makes us study from those, which, needless to say, makes it really annoying and near-impossible. I doubt that everyone across the world gets those exact same handouts, or that my teacher's retarded antipedagogical "teaching" method is used by all other psych teachers everywhere. I'm finding every other subject (except maybe French, which I don't know a word of) far easier, including maths HL. And let me just add, for no other subject do I need to do so much as reach for the book when I get home.

Also, what sorts of questions are found on the final exam? If they're anything like what our teacher gives us, she's not preparing us too well.

I think that finding psychology (at standard level) the hardest out of all of one's subjects, is indicative of something being seriously effed with the school in question.

Sorry about the rant, but as you can tell I'm a bit mad about all of this, and anxious about the biological perspective test tomorrow.

Hey you can grab the syllabus from my blog. The kind of questions you can get are basically how the syllabus is laid out in the headings e.g. for the biological level you could get a long answer question like Discuss the extent of inheritance on behavior. You could get a short answer question like outline one localization of function using an empirical study.

If your teacher is focusing on empirical studies and evaluation of the evidence then she is preparing you well. It's sad she's not very pedagogical cause psychology can be really fun if your teacher knows what they're doing. Nevertheless, study the syllabus well and let it be your guide. My psychology teachers didn't know what they were doing but thanks to the internet and forums I was able to get the info I needed and I got the final mark I wanted. I have now put that info into my blog for others to read. Hope you find it helpful :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending