The Student Room Group

Teaching in a private school - am I a good candidate?

I graduated from university last year and am currently doing a GTP at a good secondary comprehensive school, teaching from year 7 to A-level. I really want to work at a private school next year (in London) because I prefer teaching academically able students. So far I have been rejected from two top London private schools without interviews, and have been interviewed at one (back in November); I was one of five interview candidates but didn't manage to get the job. Obviously competition for these jobs is fierce, but I was just wondering whether I actually have much chance.

I think the things in my favour are:
I have an Oxford degree, good A-levels and a lot of enthusiasm for my subject
I have three years experience teaching very able students at a language school
I have welfare experience as a Nightline volunteer at University, so could make a pastoral contribution
I am young and fresh so could be easily 'moulded' by a school

I think the things against me are:
I'm a trainee so don't have a huge amount of experience and would be an NQT when the school took me
I can't offer some of the extra-curricular activities that private schools like teachers to be able to do, e.g. sport and music
I'm not currently working at a private school

What do you think, am I a reasonable candidate? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know anything about how teachers are hired, state or independent, but to me it sounds like you just need more experience. Obviously I may be totally wrong though.

dreamqueen

What did you teach there? English as a foreign language?

Edit: did you write this:

I really want to work at a private school next year (in London) because I prefer teaching academically able students.

in your applications? It would put me off a teacher candidate a little bit. Even though there is nothing wrong with it per se, spelling it out might make you sound a bit arrogant to an employer. It is anyway besides the point - the schools you are applying to know they are selective; what they don't know / what you need to tell them is what an excellent teacher you are, not that you prefer teaching able students.

I'd say just focus on your teaching abilities, and your pastoral skills. Maybe try to up extra-curriculars - how about drama or creative writing?
Better stop calling them private schools if you want to stand a good chance :wink:
Reply 3
I go to private school an most people there have a masters... About half of the cience teachers have PHD's so im guessing your gonna need more than an undergraduate degree
Reply 4
dreamqueen
I really want to work at a private school next year (in London) because I prefer teaching academically able students.

Um, don't most teachers? I know some like to work with disadvantaged or handicapped children, but I would hazard a guess that most teachers would rather have more able students. I mean, surely it's easier that way? So I doubt you're the only one with this wish.
Source: my dad's a teacher! :o:
However, good luck with your applications, I'm sure you'll get one eventually. Possibly being an NQT would be to your advantage even though you have less experience, because you'd be cheaper for the school to pay for. Although I guess that might not be such an issue with private/public schools...?
xx
I would say you need more experience as a teacher when you become qualified. Why not look at league tables? There are good state schools to teach in too!
At Hefty Fees Independent School, the Leadership Group are attending to the morning post.

The Deputy Head chuckles and everyone looks up.

"This joker appears to believe the offspring of wealthy parents are automatically all academically gifted!"

The Headteacher tuts.

"You might as well file that application in the bin then Barry."
I haven't given it much thought, but if you're wanting to excel your teaching, and not just your career I would start off at a city state school.
I know someone who teaches in a private school and they teach History when they have a degree in History of Art from a former polytechnic so it does not always matter where/what your degree is in if you want to work in a private school.
dreamqueen
I graduated from university last year and am currently doing a GTP at a good secondary comprehensive school, teaching from year 7 to A-level. I really want to work at a private school next year (in London) because I prefer teaching students from wealthier backgrounds who consequently generally have greater opportunities to excel. So far I have been rejected from two top London private schools without interviews, and have been interviewed at one (back in November); I was one of five interview candidates but didn't manage to get the job. Obviously competition for these jobs is fierce, but I was just wondering whether I actually have much chance.

I think the things in my favour are:
I have an Oxford degree, good A-levels and a lot of enthusiasm for my subject
I have welfare experience as a Nightline volunteer at University, so could make a pastoral contribution
I am young and fresh so could be easily 'moulded' by a school

I think the things against me are:
I'm a trainee so don't have a huge amount of experience and would be an NQT when the school took me
I can't offer some of the extra-curricular activities that private schools like teachers to be able to do, e.g. sport and music
I'm not currently working at a private school

What do you think, am I a reasonable candidate? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

Fixed it :smile:

Firstly, I would say get some experience in a state school first. Secondly, I would say - is this just a better worded/more restrained version of this? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1165122&highlight=private+school+teaching
If not, there's a lot of snobbishness going about at the minute :s-smilie:
Reply 10
At my school pretty much every single teacher had a masters or higher and worked in a **** school first to prove themselves as a teacher - the whole 7 years I was there we only (to my knowledge at least) had one NQT and that was an art teacher (who was actually one of the really amazing teachers who you'll remember for ever sort of thing)
Have you thought about grammar schools?
I go to a state school..
People with enough money to go to private school aren't magically academically gifted you know! :smile:
Reply 12
teaching most academically able students? you do realize that private schools are for people with lots of money? (and scholarships) why not try grammar>?
Reply 13
dreamqueen
I prefer teaching academically able students.

Is that what teachers at my school expected when they came? They must have been so disappointed when they met me. :teehee:

At my private school there's a few young teachers now (because the older ones are retiring) who are in their mid-twenties so it can't be that hard.

Probably the best thing is to start from a state school and then work your way up?
Reply 14
Yes.
HotCoco.
Probably the best thing is to start from a state school and then work your way up?

Or possibly down.

It is worth remembering that independent school teachers do not need to hold any qualifications at all. I know someone who failed her second PGCE school placement and consequently did not achieve QTS and another who jumped before he was pushed for failing his NQT year and both were able to find employment in this sector.
Reply 16
some of my teachers have said they know people who worked at my school but couldnt hack it so went to teach in a private.
Why dont you get some experience in a 'real' school and really show what you can do as a teacher for experience then you might be a better candidate for a private school.
There not all that bad you know.
Reply 18
Just because daddy can pay fees it doesnt make the students more "academically able"......

My sister worked in a private school.....one day during computer class she got the students to ask questions to the paperclip help guy in microsoft word.....stuff like how do I insert a picture/ change font etc etc. One girl typed in 'are you single'. When my sister questioned her about it after class, she genuinely thought there was some guy, in some room, somewhere in the world with a laptop answering all these question and thought he might be bored of talking about microsoft word.
Dont assume they are more academically able.
I dont think you will fit in with your qualifications but your snobby attitude definitely will.
I think you should improve on getting off your pedestal because the longer you stay there the harder you are going to fall.
Reply 19
ahahaahahaa. Private school does NOT automatically equal academically able students. Good luck on that vision.
Source? I work in a private school.

Latest

Trending

Trending