Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any suggestions on what I could do to have a productive gap year?

ReputationRep:
    gosh unless you got your finances sorted and going travelling it could be a very long year.

Try to organise something before you start the gap year because jobs are hard to come by.

ReputationRep:
    1) you have 3 unis who have not rejected you, so, in the wise words of jouney, 'dont stop beleivin!'

2) if it come to that, my plan is to do some travelling, maybe with a gap year company doing some medical or teaching work, and for the rest of the year work as a health care assistent at a hospital. i think this would be really good to put on the old PS and for some general caring expirience.

Travelling
    - Voluntary work abroad (hospital/school based) - either independently or with a company etc. Projects Abroad

Work (as hca or other) + Save money for uni

Volunteering/DofE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a moist feeling)
    Has anyone got any suggestions on what I could do to have a productive gap year?
    Lots and lots of work experience. Shadowing a consultant is really insightful. And maybe do something that will work on your communication skills and being relaxed with talking to people - that will really help at interview.

Keep in contact with people you know who got in to med school and hear about their experience, so that you can find out what med school is really like.

Work on your personal statement.

Re-take any exams if need be to up the grades.

Practice aptitude tests in prep for the UKCAT.

Feedback from unis.

Read medical articles and stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    Travelling
    - Voluntary work abroad (hospital/school based) - either independently or with a company etc. Projects Abroad

Work (as hca or other) + Save money for uni

Volunteering/DofE
    Aren't those two a bit incompatible? It can cost a bomb to volunteer abroad

(Original post by Lu-x)
    Aren't those two a bit incompatible? It can cost a bomb to volunteer abroad
    No, if you work very hard... it worked for me, so it depends :dontknow:

Or maybe if it isn't possible for them, then perhaps consider Camp America/BUNAC etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.