The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wasn't saying she was wrong about the Cambridge bit, merely pointing out that she shouldn't be surprised about the UCL bit.
Original post by Girl&#9829
Why are you so bothered about prestige?! It counts for sweet FA in the real world.

People with Masters, PhD's and Doctorates are struggling to find employment nowadays. It's far less about the degree or University and more reliant on the person/experience/relevance in finding work.

The degree someone chooses to study is their own decision, whether or not YOU (oh, wise one) consider it a "real degree" is a matter of opinion which I am heartily disagreeing with.

You run along to your "prestigious" University with your amazing A-Levels and have fun realising grades and an attitude like yours will not get you very far in the real world.

Disrespect myself and others all you wish, if it makes you feel better, but I'm wise enough to wish you all the best in the future and all the luck in the world because, frankly, you sound like you'll need it!

well said :yep:
Reply 42
Paul Bartram
Surely a degree is a degree

I facepalmed
CapitalismRocks
It says a lot about Nottingham's Computer Science department. I regret applying there to be honest.

Care to address the issue you brought up however?

BCC in A-Levels, top marks in a University only just in the Top 20 and a very decent job lined up.

Says something about your unfounded musing.

Really, get a grip lol
With 3 Bs you probably wouldn't get a job with a top employer anyway whatever university or degree you got. Most of the job application forms I've seen expect A level profiles around 320+ points.
Reply 45
Someone on this forum had poor A levels and got a 1st in biomed at UEL, I believe they now had offers for medicine so.. no..
Reply 46
CapitalismRocks
It says a lot about Nottingham's Computer Science department. I regret applying there to be honest.

If you judge people's intelligence on their A-Levels, god you're ****** in life.
Anatheme
Not really. Some languages like Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, Persian can have requirements of between ABB and BCC (Bristol and Manchester offer BCC in Russian, and they definitely are in the top 20). Don't even pretend to say those are doss degrees, it just won't work :nah:.

You just supported my point, and I supported yours.

We both explained that BBB existing as the barrier, as stated, between 'top 20' and non 'top 20', was flawed - just from different perspectives. =/

Depsite this, If I wished to say either was a doss degree I would, It would be a personal opinion and therefore I would, with confidence, express it - irrespective of conflicting views. As it goes I don't think they are.

Either I have misunderstood you or you are being very defensive for some reason.

Either way tis all good =]

<3

If you judge people's intelligence on their A-Levels, god you're ****** in life

Agreed!!
No I don't agree considering that certain universities are stronger at certain subjects. Also if you have the grades but went to a lower graded uni doesn't make a difference. I know loads of people who got over 3 BBB's and went to over 50 universities.
CapitalismRocks
It's a student website, people are interested in my grades since I have offers from those Unis. I'm assuming you go to an ex-poly :rolleyes:

Actually very few people care, people only do it to show off. I makes you seem stuck up and arrogant, which your further comments on this thread have proved to be true.
Reply 50
Revolution is my Name
Because it's their standard offer for that subject, maybe?

Humkay, I though he may have put them the wrong way round that was all.
Disagree, that is all.
CapitalismRocks
Lol, you know nothing about me ;\ My C.V is booming and I have no problem communicating with others, otherwise I would not have the extracurriculars I have. I doubt I will have trouble finding a job, considering I could drop University and go straight into a impressive role in a bank.

You're daddy may have a better job than mine but I bet your dad's penis is still smaller than my pa's.

You have a lot to learn about this world. You've been mollycuddled. Take your first step into the real world without daddy's protection and you'll be shot down. I'm willing to bet that you don't like egoists who think that they're better than you. No one else does either.
DarkWhite
Care to address the issue you brought up however?

BCC in A-Levels, top marks in a University only just in the Top 20 and a very decent job lined up.

Says something about your unfounded musing.

Really, get a grip lol

I guess Nottingham are not as prestigious as I thought, meh, I'd consider Nottingham's Economics department on a whole another level to the rest of the University.

Also, your view of a decent job is very different to mine.
Reply 54
Original thread.
CapitalismRocks
I guess Nottingham are not as prestigious as I thought, meh, I'd consider Nottingham's Economics department on a whole another level to the rest of the University.

Also, your view of a decent job is very different to mine.

Do you need this spelling out for you? lol

BCC < BBB. Still, into a top 20 university.
Despite only just being in top 20, led to a very rewarding job in first year.
Reply 56
CapitalismRocks
A friend said this to me today; I have to say I'd agree with him, I just think it's kind of pointless going to University if you achieved less than BBB - considering University is harder. What are your views?

A friend of mine, not very bright or academic, has got 5 offers. Hes a D/E sdent, and sure enough, amajority of the offers are to get C-E. He wants to study History.

I aggree in some cases, universities are useless- why bother going if ur a student. But BBB? Please, that take effort. Particularly as BBB students are those who have successfully managed to jugle a social life and an academic life, something, unfortunately, few A* students achieve before uni.
Reply 57
CapitalismRocks
A friend said this to me today; I have to say I'd agree with him, I just think it's kind of pointless going to University if you achieved less than BBB - considering University is harder. What are your views?

Performance at A-level does not equal performance at degree level. You cannot compare the two.

Once you actually get to university you'll realise that (why just "top 20" by the way?)
River85
Performance at A-level does not equal performance at degree level. You cannot compare the two.

Once you actually get to university you'll realise that (why just "top 20" by the way?)

You will have to ask my friend that, I'd argue top 10 but he's at a top 15 ;\
Reply 59
Top 20 in the UK =/= Top 20 in the World

Sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending