The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

What are the most competative courses at Cardiff university?

the title says it all really, I've received an offer for BBB for English literature and creative writing and I'm wondering if this is a competitive course at this university.
Original post by ZoinkMan32
the title says it all really, I've received an offer for BBB for English literature and creative writing and I'm wondering if this is a competitive course at this university.

By "competitive", do you mean the course with the most demanding entry requirements? The course with the most applicants per place? Or some other measure?

As you've quoted the grade requirements for English Literature and Creative Writing, I assume you're talking about entry requirements. I know that their standard offer for Psychology is A*AA, and do not know of a course at Cardiff with more demanding grade requirements.

Does that answer your question?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
By "competitive", do you mean the course with the most demanding entry requirements? The course with the most applicants per place? Or some other measure?

As you've quoted the grade requirements for English Literature and Creative Writing, I assume you're talking about entry requirements. I know that their standard offer for Psychology is A*AA, and do not know of a course at Cardiff with more demanding grade requirements.

Does that answer your question?

Sorry, I should have been more clear; Yes I was partly referring to demanding entry requirements, but also just overall popularity. So for example, is English historically a popular course at Cardiff? Its a bit difficult to answer, but I'm hoping I might find something.
Sorry, I should have been more clear; Yes I was partly referring to demanding entry requirements, but also just overall popularity. So for example, is English historically a popular course at Cardiff? Its a bit difficult to answer, but I'm hoping I might find something.

Assuming "popular" means "the most candidates applying for it", you can get some indication of that from the data available on the UCAS site, although it's a quite a high level:

Browse to their UCAS Undergraduate End of Cycle Resources 2022 page and select "Applications and acceptances" in under Provider in the left hand side. Then select "Subject group - HECoS" in the "Show me..." drop down along the top and select "C15 Cardiff University" under the Provider drop-down.

The data displayed shows that the category of course with the most applications at Cardiff is "subjects allied to medicine". (The tool doesn't let me show the other subject groups on the same screen, but if you scroll down you find no numbers higher than those for "subjects allied to medicine")

UCAS Data - Applications by HECoS - Cardiff.JPG
Reply 4
English, communication and philosophy in general has around 1500 typical applicants and around 320 places, which means a 21% acceptance rate which is relatively low, the overall uni has about a 20% acceptance/offer rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending