The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It depends on the university but generally it is split in two: academic and clerical, though which order they see your application will certainly depend on the university itself. Clerical (admissions) selectors are general, tend to be grouped together in departments and faculties (school of humanities, for example) and will focus on the non-academic aspects of your application; checking transcripts and what like. Academic selectors will then check academic aspects of your application such as essays and research proposals to ensure your suitability. You should be able tell in some cases which academic selectors are making decisions, depending on the size and scope of your prospective department/faculty. For example, if you submitted a research proposal, suggesting that staff member x was the most suited to supervise you and no other member of staff could, then it is pretty safe to assume that - if you were given an offer - staff member x and the programme leader, who probably tries to ensure all staff are allocated someone, gave you the go-ahead.

If you apply for a really broad programme in a large department then it will be almost impossible to tell unless you are told once you get there, and I assume that there is a meeting organised with by programme leader with a number of staff present, who will go through the applications, choosing the best students; similar to meetings staff have at the end of the academic year to decide your grade(s).
Reply 2
Thanks. That was really insightful. What if there is no research proposal? Thought program in management or other social sciences.
Reply 3
Musicolo
Thanks. That was really insightful. What if there is no research proposal? Thought program in management or other social sciences.

For taught courses, there tends to be an admissions tutor who sifts through the lot from my own experience. It all depends on the size of department though.
Reply 4
apotoftea
For taught courses, there tends to be an admissions tutor who sifts through the lot from my own experience. It all depends on the size of department though.

But the admissions tutor is not necessary particular course director?
Reply 5
Musicolo
But the admissions tutor is not necessary particular course director?

Usually it's the same person but occasionally it's split I believe. Why not just look at your prospective department website and see for yourself? :smile:
Reply 6
apotoftea
Usually it's the same person but occasionally it's split I believe. Why not just look at your prospective department website and see for yourself? :smile:

It doesn't say who selectors are. I did look. Its at LSE btw.

Latest

Trending

Trending