The Student Room Group

READ THIS If you have 4 medicine rejections

People found this thread helpful last year so here is this year's incarnation as people are starting to have heard back from all of their choices now.

So you have 4 rejections? Don't worry, you're not alone! (and it doesn't mean you wouldn't make a good doctor)

The first thing you need to decide is if you still want to do medicine at all. If not, then you need to think about what you'd like to do instead. If you're not sure – think about why. Maybe arrange some extra work experience to find out if it's something you're still interested in. If yes, then read on!

Make sure you get some feedback from the universities. Where you rejected before or after interview? If you were rejected without interview, then the important thing to start with is to look at how you are on paper – did you apply to universities where you met all the academic requirements? (This is a common reason for rejection and is an easy place to start when choosing where to apply.) If your rejections were after interview, then consider working on your interview technique.

Other things to look at are your UKCAT/BMAT scores and your personal statement. If you didn't before, consider getting the PS Help team to have a look through your personal statement before applying again. UKCAT is harder to improve your score on but there are lots of questions you can practise here.

Don't forget to work hard on getting the grades!

There are a couple of options for you:
-Gap year and reapply – this is a popular option and there are a lot of people who get into medical school as a reapplicant. One of the advantages to this is that you have your A level exam results already as you're applying where a lot of the applicants only have predicted grades. For ideas of what to do during a gap year, have a look at this article.
-Do a different degree and apply as a graduate – while this is a good option for some, it does have its disadvantages. You'd generally need to get at least a 2:i in order to apply as a graduate (some accept 2:ii but aim high!) and that isn't as easy as some people make out, especially if it's not in a subject you're interested in or passionate about. Financially it's difficult as well – while you can get loans easily for a first degree, you wouldn't be eligible for the medicine degree afterwards and by the time you graduate from the first degree, fees may have risen a long way. Grad-entry courses are also very competitive. In some cases, you may be able to transfer to a medicine course during the degree but this is only possible on a small number of courses and there are no guarantees you will be successful as many others attempt this same route.

If you are already on a gap year and have 4 rejections:
- a lot of the above will still apply
- do you still want to do medicine?
- do you know why you were rejected?
- and more importantly, if you know why you were rejected, is it something you can fix by doing another gap year so you can increase your chances of acceptance on further reapplication?

If you don't get the grades in August:
What to do if you don't get into medical school - This article gives some good information about your options.

Can't be bothered to read all that... (summarised nicely by HiBear)
HiBear
a) improve your application/take a gap/reapply
b) do another degree and apply graduate
c) do something else.

Any new threads on this topic will be merged with this one.

Scroll to see replies

Hygeia

Nice thread, really useful!

I'm planning my gap year at the moment, i was just wandering is it worth doing a few a levels? or shall i try and squeeze in a further maths AS this june? thanks :awesome:
Reply 2
crazy_smurf
Nice thread, really useful!

I'm planning my gap year at the moment, i was just wandering is it worth doing a few a levels? or shall i try and squeeze in a further maths AS this june? thanks

I'd probably say don't bother doing any extra A levels unless you're just doing them for your own interest - just enjoy the year!
Reply 3
I have four rejections for medicine but I've also got an offer which is Biomedical Sciences at UCL.

When I first applied I wanted to avoid doing the UKCAT so I stupidly applied to three universities who asked for BMAT and another place which I got an interview from but subsequently got a rejection from.

I know that I've got two options:
Take a gap year and reapply but with more sensible options and possibly a higher BMAT score?
Or I could just take up UCL on their biomed offer and try for graduate medicine.

But the reason why I'm so confused is because I was really into medicine and I had a realistic perspective on it, i.e. I know that a career in medicine will be tough. But then getting 4 rejections made me think maybe I'm not cut out for it. I don't like the idea of taking a gap year at all so I thought yeah, UCL biomed sounds cool but then it's a lot more expensive taking the graduate entry route. Though I don't think I'd have a problem with the biomedical sciences course because I'm really interested in what's taught in this course too.

I am SO CONFUSED! In don't know what to do....
Reply 4
gap year and reapply (if you get the grades)
Reply 5
Take a gap year and then reapply
Joung
I have four rejections for medicine but I've also got an offer which is Biomedical Sciences at UCL.

When I first applied I wanted to avoid doing the UKCAT so I stupidly applied to three universities who asked for BMAT and another place which I got an interview from but subsequently got a rejection from.

Take a gap year and reapply but with more sensible options and possibly a higher BMAT score?
Or I could just take up UCL on their biomed offer and try for graduate medicine.

But the reason why I'm so confused is because I was really into medicine and I had a realistic perspective on it, i.e. I know that a career in medicine will be tough. But then getting 4 rejections made me think maybe I'm not cut out for it. I don't like the idea of taking a gap year at all so I thought yeah, UCL biomed sounds cool but then it's a lot more expensive taking the graduate entry route. Though I don't think I'd have a problem with the biomedical sciences course because I'm really interested in what's taught in this course too.

what were the unis
your gcse results
AS results and your bmat results????
Reply 7
gap year
Reply 8
What's your problem with taking a gap year? I'd recommend it - you can improve your application by getting more work experience (especially as you'll be older - friends of mine who are applying for medicine say there's certain things you can only do once you're 18, so this would make getting work experience easier). You could also earn some money towards uni. Obviously you'd be a year older graduating, but it's still quicker than doing biomed first, right?
ucl, just because i couldnt imagine taking a gap year.. i cant wait to go to uni and live alone and be independent!!
If you're still commited to Medicine then your best choice of action is to take a gap year and reapply. Get some work exp in the process.

Edit: You might feel as though you want to go to university right now and UCL is a brilliant offer but if it's not what you intended/what you really want then it's pointless taking the offer. Getting into uni isn't a race - it will shape the rest of your life so choose wisely and don't rush things.
Reply 11
Gap year seems to be a popular option with a lot of people I've been asking...
I feel like such a failure though if I take a gap year and everyone else is going to amazing unis for medicine...

I applied to oxford, UCL, imperial and birmingham
GCSEs 12 A*s 1A
AS 4As and a B in critical thinking predicted 2 As and 1 A*
BMAT 4.4 4.6 9

:frown:
Joung

Cry, I would imagine.
Go with UCL.
Joung
I feel like such a failure though if I take a gap year and everyone else is going to amazing unis for medicine...

GCSEs 12 A*s 1A
BMAT 4.4 4.6 9

where you invited for interview
your results are perfect
Joung

GCSEs 12 A*s 1A
BMAT 4.4 4.6 9

The re-apply option isn't terrible as you aren't far off BMAT cut-offs for UCL or IMP so maybe with some more work and doing the BMAT for the second time you may score some interviews and offers if thats where you want to go....
I'd say go with BioMed, but if you're 100% you want to do Medicine then take a year to strengthen your application, earn some money and do some travelling!

Joung

GCSEs 12 A*s 1A
BMAT 4.4 4.6 9

Your grades are good, it's just been a really hard year this year - especially for the more sought after places.

If you do take a year out, see it as a treat before you go off to uni, rather than anything else - You are choosing a year out rather than going to UCL. Try and see it positively and Have fun!!
Joung

GCSEs 12 A*s 1A
BMAT 4.4 4.6 9

Don't worry, around 60% of people who apply for medicine get no offers so it's not a fail at all!

I'd say take a gap year and reapply, this time with more work experience and voluntary work; with your grades already achieved, it becomes a lot easier. I wouldn't do biomed personally, as 3 years of a science degree don't really interest me. IN addition, it becomes A LOT harder to get into medicine after this as there's lots more competition.

So i'd say reapply, but this time choose wise options - ie not 3 BMAT unis!! Take the ukcat and see how well you do, and apply to easier unis to get in to...if you applied to those 3 for the prestige, you're doing med for the wrong reasons.

good luck:biggrin:
Joung

GCSEs 12 A*s 1A
BMAT 4.4 4.6 9

I am a reapplicant and applied to Edinburgh, UCL, Imperial and Kings and got 4 rejections. I took an offer at UCL of Biomed and got a 2.1.
It is a good course but do you really want to go the long way round?

I really enjoyed my degree and met loads of people and gained so much independence but its not for everyone. I think you should decide whether you want to stay in academia or whether medicine is the be all and end all for you.

Unis like students who go on gap years and who are grads as they are more mature and informed about their passion for medicine...also means you have interesting things to say at interview. Your grades are very good so maybe leave it a lil while and read back over your PS and speak to your careers advisor about it. It would be worthwhile asking the unis why they rejected you so that you can improve.

Don't give up, getting into medicine can be at your pace. Maybe you arent ready yet but if its for you...you will be.

EDIT: You chose 4 very competitive unis so perhaps you shouldn't be so surprised. Hmm you should have opted for a couple of med unis that are less competitive or more generous with interviews like St Georges or Barts ...do the UKCAT you will have so much more choice AND you will know by your score which Unis will be out of your reach...its a game. Play it.
Reply 19
I got interviewed at birmingham probably because of my gcse grades. I'll have to ask them what went wrong in the interview.

Thanks for all the advice, after reading all your replies and talking to a friend for an hour I'm taking the gap year option a bit more seriously now..
Will I not regret rejecting UCL biomed? Who knows..

Maybe you guys could help me with university choices lol

I love london a lot so UCL Kings possibly oxford.....? Or would it be stupid to go for oxford and UCL again?

Latest

Trending

Trending