The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mrs. Political
is it? me and my mum are really close, and to go to uni, i have to leave my home, my parents etc. Is it worth it? I want to study languages, should i just go to France and Germany, why do i need a degree?

To prove you know some French/Spanish. It is gonna help you but im not sure if its worth all the money your paying.
what do i do then? what job can i get without going to uni, but having a-levels?
Reply 3
Depends. Degrees open up many doors and broaden your horizons. If you're family would struggle big time financially, perhaps it would be better tofind work over in Germany/France and you could pick up the language easily that way - then perhaps find some work as a translator or something like that. I don't think you could get very far without a degree in the language, but you certainly wouldn't be shown the door without one - so long as you can prove you've a proficient knowledge of the lingo.
Reply 4
Mrs. Political
what do i do then? what job can i get without going to uni, but having a-levels?

What type of job do you want?
but i mean, if i became fluent by living in the country, i would still be able to do the same things if i had the degree. languages lead to translation or interpretation- so it doesn't matter, i would only study french and german at uni- what do i do?:frown:
nas7232
What type of job do you want?

that's the problem, i don't know
Reply 7
erm i'm going to uni for the exerience, and tbh, I don't feel I want to go into the big wide world just yet. I'll be in that world for another 40 years, so i'd rather have 3 years at uni, slightly less taxing...
yeah it leads us into the big world, but should i bother?
Reply 9
Mrs. Political
but i mean, if i became fluent by living in the country, i would still be able to do the same things if i had the degree. languages lead to translation or interpretation- so it doesn't matter, i would only study french and german at uni- what do i do?:frown:

Not all jobs need degrees, although there is only so much you can learn from living in the country. By taking a degree in the language, you learn so much more than just, "the language per se". You'll learn literature, in depth grammar, dialects (perhaps, not too sure about that) and much more. That's what gives people with a degree the edge. The fact that you have a degree tells employers you know the language, and you are educated in it, as opposed to just being able to "get by" if you understand. So I doubt you would be able to do the same things as someone with a degree. You would still be able to find employment without a degree but it would be alot harder, because you would be competing against people with degrees usually, I would expect.
Reply 10
Mrs. Political
that's the problem, i don't know

If your really confident that you enjoy and want to work in languages, whatever the job, I think you should do the degree. This will also give you 3 years to think about what job you fancy. If your not really sure you want to go into languages, then have a think before going to uni.
Mrs. Political
yeah it leads us into the big world, but should i bother?

Yes, you will be able to enjoy yourself for a few more years, and theres the added benefit of earning 400k more over your lifetime than the average non-graduate.
Its more than worth it, what exactly is bad about uni?!
Whizz Kid
Not all jobs need degrees, although there is only so much you can learn from living in the country. By taking a degree in the language, you learn so much more than just, "the language per se". You'll learn literature, in depth grammar, dialects (perhaps, not too sure about that) and much more. That's what gives people with a degree the edge. The fact that you have a degree tells employers you know the language, and you are educated in it, as opposed to just being able to "get by" if you understand. So I doubt you would be able to do the same things as someone with a degree. You would still be able to find employment without a degree but it would be alot harder, because you would be competing against people with degrees usually, I would expect.

i was hoping you'd say, it doesn't matter, i know deep down i have to go, but i don't want to leave my family
Mrs. Political
i was hoping you'd say, it doesn't matter, i know deep down i have to go, but i don't want to leave my family

Thats one of the plus points for me, I've had them watching my every move for the last 18 years, i'll enjoy the freedom!
Its not as though you'll never see them again...
YES IT IS SO WORTH IT! im only going into my second year but the knowledge you get and the people you meet is so worth it
Reply 15
Its very simple.
A uni degree is becoming standard, if you dont have one, employers will wonder why and you might lose out to another job candidate.
Beekeeper
Thats one of the plus points for me, I've had them watching my every move for the last 18 years, i'll enjoy the freedom!
Its not as though you'll never see them again...

yeah and i understand that, but me and my family are really really close, and i'd be so far away from them, and i know it's gonna hurt loads when i go
Reply 17
I dont honestly thinking having a degree will gurantee you a better job if you didn't have one, not now anyway seeing as uni is less exclusive.
It also depends on the culture of the country you're planning to live in.....some countries (from my own experience, the UK being a typical example!) will give you a shot at a good job with just your A-Levels whereas others (Ireland....sadly for me) won't even interview you without a degree, even for jobs where the salary wouldn't attract any graduate in their right mind.

You seem pretty adamant you're not ready to leave home yet...why not take a year out instead and travel around? Great opportunity to pick up the lingo too :cool:
Reply 19
I don't understand? You say your close to your family so going to Uni is a problem but then you say should I just go straight to another country to learn the language. Surely if you go to Uni you'll be closer than if you leave the country!

Latest

Trending

Trending