The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yeah id definitely hate it, names have history and tradition behind them, but thats football for you isnt it - its all about the money nowadays, and whats history and tradition where millions of pounds to a club are concerned?
Reply 7841
Anfield it is, Anfield (or variations thereof) it should remain.
I havent been to many grounds but, sorry I have to do it :smile: ,the atmosphere at Hillsborough is just amazing, and its, objectively, one of the best stadiums in the country. The Millennium stadium is also fan-bloody-tastic. I haven't been to Villa Park yet (hopefully next season) but thats also supposed to be great.
Reply 7843
It's ironic considering Smith used to glory support Liverpool when he was a kid. What a Leeds fan eh, supports Liverpool then joins Man U. Oh well, it's quite ironic really. Supposedly, alot of the Liverpool supporters were also chanting Munich related songs, and Smith did have a reputation for singing them same songs not too long ago.

The crazy world of football.
Reply 7844
It would depend on the nature of the people who were sponsoring. For revenue's sake I'd agree with it but only if the investors stood for the Clubs values. To be honest, if Uncle Ken changed Elland Road to the Bet24 Stadium, I'd be abit concerned.

I'm all for history but I'm also for moving on with the times. On saying that though...the Emirate Stadium, the Reebok stadium, the JJB...They aren't names, they are burdens. No warmth, no character, no nothing.
Villa Park is great when Villa are winning but when they are losing the fans just don't seem to bother getting behind the team, Old Trafford is a brilliant stadium even though i went there to see Bon Jovi, it is just as good atmosphere for a rock concert.
Millenium Stadium that is just fantastic it makes up for not having Wembley.
Hillsborough is amazing, even when Wednesday are losing the fans are still getting behind the team.
Reply 7846
They know exactly what priorities lie where, but Gary Neville is easily dealt with in comparison. Everyone love/hates a bad guy, but the Bung thing is going to be a massive shitshow for the FA to deal with. Fact of the matter is, Bungs will probably always be around in football and until the FA can do something definite about it, they will be making alot of hard work for themselves. I reckon they'll make an effort of ensuring Newell's trap is shut and the whole thing will be under rug, swept.
Mellie
It's ironic considering Smith used to glory support Liverpool when he was a kid. What a Leeds fan eh, supports Liverpool then joins Man U. Oh well, it's quite ironic really. Supposedly, alot of the Liverpool supporters were also chanting Munich related songs, and Smith did have a reputation for singing them same songs not too long ago.

The crazy world of football.

Source? I dont believe he ever supported liverpool im afraid
Reply 7848
As the old saying goes, pop will eat itself.

Historically, there has always been one club with more money than spoilt it for everyone else. At the moment, it's Chelsea but when Abramacam finds something newer and more intriguing to play with, it will be Chelsea who is back on the pile of debt that's swallowing everyone else up.

It's Rotherham now that's begging for money off anyone who'll hand it over. I remember that it wasn't long ago I was chucking my last five pound note in a bucket for York.

This is just how football is going to be from now on.

Also, my favourite story related to this is definitely the Rooney transfer. Everton need to keep him to tie up their sponsorships, Newcastle table the offer then Man United, who weren't at all ready to exercise their interest at that point, fly in and nick him. Everton get to keep Chang, Man United get to keep the Upper hand, and Newcastle are left looking like chumps. It's almost a satire of the whole situation. The only thing that didn't happen is that nobody went bust in the end, but Everton and Man U's predicaments are open to interpretation, I suppose.
Reply 7849
Also, people weep about the Scottish football leagues, but it could be worse, couldn't it (read; you could be Welsh). I mean, Cardiff are so good they have to play in the English leagues :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 7850
Well, he was hardly there every week, season ticket in hand, scoffing sausages down the Anfield Road chipshop because obviously he's a Leeds fan but he one hundred percent semi-supported them as a kid.
No exact source in my handbag at present, but there's a loads out there.
I've actually physically seen it leaving his mouth.
Mellie
Well, he was hardly there every week, season ticket in hand, scoffing sausages down the Anfield Road chipshop because obviously he's a Leeds fan but he one hundred percent semi-supported them as a kid.
No exact source in my handbag at present, but there's a loads out there.
I've actually physically seen it leaving his mouth.

Good enough for me then
Don't believe he supported Liverpool.

He's Leeds through-and-through.
The atmosphere at your rock concert must have been pretty ****** then! :biggrin:

Sorry but the home atmosphere at Old Trafford is awful considering there are 70000 people there, however i have never seen United win there. :p: You occasionally get the odd "United, united, united" but thats essentially as far as it goes.... The away support of United is superb, some of the best i have seen (coincidentally, how does that song go with the words - we're unbelievable in it?) yet the home support is so dire.... Its probably got something to do with the fact that it is pretty much 50000 different people there each week so they cant get any songs going!

Whilst financially i would rather have 65000+ fans, i would much rather have the same 22000 fans week in week out to generate an atmosphere.
Atmosphere point of view, has to be fratton park (portsmouth), pretty good atmosphere there during games. But not the best i have visited, defintely highbury, but only on a school trip back in like 1999 :frown: Would love to one day visit the Barcelona stadium :biggrin:
NDGAARONDI
What? So when money is handed to you on a plate you'd take it. That answers the Abramovich takeover in a nutshell then. :rolleyes:

Clear difference in the fact that Emirates actually makes money, so its beneficial for both parties. Dont see Abramovich making any profit.
Reply 7856
jaydoh
It's a bit too Division 1-ish.

Yeah like the Fly emirates stadium and the JJB and the Reebok all...wait no :rolleyes:

I don't really know if I'd mind, our old stadium was turned into a bunch of shops and now we have a small horrible thing we call a stadium until Falmer starts...
The Nou Camp is awesome, we went to look round the city a few years back and ended up going on the stadium tour and then watching them against PSV in the evening, a really awesome day! Their training ground holds more than a lot of English grounds. LOL
Reply 7858
NDGAARONDI
If I was a footballer I wouldn't want to go to Liverpool on moral grounds.

...such as....
Reply 7859
Sharpshooter
Did I say there was anything wrong with it? Chelsea are equally as pragmatic (if not worse).

I wasn't having a go, just indulging in reviving memories of such a great night.

Latest