The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I mention Salford and someone posts straight after with the username Salfordite. :rolleyes:
Reply 1221
In fairness Hearts have a good chance this year to win it! Rangers and Celtic are both attrocious at the minute!
I hope Hearts do win it! I'll guess you'll be routing for Cork City so perhaps they can progress in the Champions League next year further than Shelbourne. :smile:
Reply 1223
NDGAARONDI
I hope Hearts do win it! I'll guess you'll be routing for Cork City so perhaps they can progress in the Champions League next year further than Shelbourne. :smile:

Irish League is Northern Ireland's league, and the Eircom League is the national league in the Republic. Glentoran were our representatives in the Champions League but got beat by Shelbourne of the Eircom League, who narrowly missed out on the Group stages of the champions league last year but got beat by Deportivo in front of 45,000. I would like to see Cork City do well in the Uefa Cup, as they have a strong tradition in it, primarily because the Eircom clubs play summer football. Hope this clears things up a little!

Irish League

Ards
Ballymena
Cliftonville
Coleraine - my team
Dungannon
Glenavon
Glentoran- champions
Institute
Larne
Limavady
Linfield - UEFA cup representatives
Lisburn
Loughgall
Newry
Portadown

Eircom League

Cork
Derry
Shelbourne
Longford
Bohemians
Drogheda
Bray
UCD
Shamrock Rovers
St Patrick's
Waterford
Finn Harps
Oh yeah. I was thinking they had two different leagues for the different places. Oh I'll pick whoever for NI then, they are afterall, a team from a home nation. But if I hear Derriaghy CC progress in the Irish Junior Cup I'll support them (have a jacket of theirs). :biggrin:
Reply 1225
They got put out by Castlewellan town last year in the third round. It really is the lowest standard of football imaginable. They're probably in the 10th tier of Irish League football!
Ah. Well, I was just browsing on eBay and found a jacket I liked, didn't care if it was a team I didn't support and bought it. Then looked up their name on the internet etc.
Reply 1227
Support us. We have just been granted an administration order after racking up £1.3m worth of debt. Our best player at the minute is Stephen Carson, alocal lad, who has 2 first team appearance for Rangers under his belt as well as spells at Hartlepool and Dundee Utd! Check out www.colerainefc.com or www.recsc.co.uk or www.colerainefc.tk for more info!
I'll support Coleraine FC for Northern Ireland then (I already have an English team I grew up supporting for donkey years). :smile:
Reply 1229
Happy days. One more fan now! Who do you support in England? Iwas thinking about heading to Lincolnmathces this coming year, whilst at Uni, to see an ex-Coleraine player or maybe Burton Albion!
For England I support Chelsea FC and I know what you're thinking...
England or Belgium, not that I'd want to :P
Reply 1232
Sure you are! Only kiddin, my dad is a Chelsea fan too!
Salfordite
i remember a time a few years ago when there was really bad weather on a premiership games day, roads blocked with snow etc

united had almost full attendance while chelsea had a half-empty ground (this was before they became chelski)

i dont deny that united have a lot of fans overseas - so do liverpool due to their success in the 80's and now chelsea - but they also have a lot of local fans. what about the thousands who came to the many victory parades throughout the years? i wish someone would do an official census of the manchester population so this myth can be put to rest once and for all

*steps down off soapbox*

I bet if you did a census of Man UTD fans, the most common reason for supporting them would be "because my dad supports them" or "because my dad was born there".... that is the reason they all give... i call them glory supporters. :biggrin:
i know...couldnt resist (although this is actually my bro's user name...i cant seem to log him out!)
Seabiscuit
GOOOOOOOOOING DOWN. GOING DOWN GOING DOWN GOIN DOWN!

i thought us O's, Hammers and Daggers all stuck together as a family? Well, how would i know i'm a Gooner.

go'on u 'ammers!
Cindy
:rolleyes:

I would say something, but then I know I'll just be slammed for supporting Fulham. :rolleyes:
Reply 1237
uh oh. I've lost my lead! I'm now tied with someone named Nick. Henry getting hurt put a big dent in my team.
Reply 1238
zoraster
uh oh. I've lost my lead! I'm now tied with someone named Nick. Henry getting hurt put a big dent in my team.

Ditto. I managed to have only 9 fit players for a week, the other two + subs were all injured. :eek: :redface:
Reply 1239
NDGAARONDI
LOL. Even then they may live closer to Man City, Salford, or Northwich Victoria. Can't remember any other football teams in Manchester.

in fairness most clubs don't have local players, managers or owners so why local fans i guess.

Latest