Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Where's the worst place to live in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Middlesbrooough!

No actually just to piss off tagzt, Slough

ReputationRep:
    There's a book about it called "Crap Towns" or something. It's on the BBC News website somewhere. Definately not where I live.

I heard the place where residents were most happy was Bourneville, the town in suburban Birmingham were the Cadburys chocolate company (mmmmmm) is based.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    There's a book about it called "Crap Towns" or something. It's on the BBC News website somewhere.
    yeah i know - saw it in waterstones. i was just wondering what everyone else thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Middlesbrooough!

I'm afraid I will have to agree with you there! I went there this summer. Nice shops and nice girls but it might as well be called Generic Town/City!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know - saw it in waterstones. i was just wondering what everyone else thought
    It was a bit of a surprise, having Oxford 31st with Essex 33rd and Slough 42nd, and the top 10 were a bit dodgy. It's cos it's all down to voting here http://www.idler.co.uk/html/frontsec..._5/england.htm where 1 person's comment can inflluence the rankings.

ReputationRep:
    London because of the traffic conditions.

ReputationRep:
    I heard it was Stoke-on-Trent.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, I guess we could go on and name every single town/city in the UK. It's only fair to say which is the worst place to live in the UK if you have lived in every single town/city. Everyone says that London is expensive to live in but it's probably because it's expensive compared to where they live. I wouldn't live anywhere else in the UK and the only problem I have with London is the traffic but if I'm to live in one of the world's best capitals, I guess I will have to live with that....

ReputationRep:
    Luton.

I'd sooner take my own life than live there. It's also home to one of the crappiest universities in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    I don't know what living there is like but I do know it has a really cool place called Waterworld where there's 6 big water slides including the country's first "water rollercoaster" with uphill water jets that almost pulled my trunks off.

ReputationRep:
    Out of all the places I have visited I have to say Stoke on Trent seemed to be about the worst. It dosn't surprise me at all that place gets a bad reputation. Bandbury and Melton Keynes also seemed quite bad.

Banor had nice scenery but the town seems to suffer from a lot of anti social problems.

The langworthy area of Salford is also pretty grim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I don't know what living there is like but I do know it has a really cool place called Waterworld where there's 6 big water slides including the country's first "water rollercoaster" with uphill water jets that almost pulled my trunks off.
    What is people's views on Salford? I am considering go to Salford uni but I hear that the city is quite rough. Any comments from people who have lived there would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hull was voted the worst place in Britain to live according to the book "crap towns" although they failed to realise that Hull is, infact a city.

Also much of the information they printed on the place was factually incorrect and I question the value of the book as anything more than a publicity stunt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    What is people's views on Salford? I am considering go to Salford uni but I hear that the city is quite rough. Any comments from people who have lived there would be appreciated!
    Why not go and have a look yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    well i've gone through it on the train and the man sitting next to me (who lives there and got off at that stop) told me it was 'God's country' - whatever that means :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Hull was voted the worst place in Britain to live according to the book "crap towns" although they failed to realise that Hull is, infact a city.

Also much of the information they printed on the place was factually incorrect and I question the value of the book as anything more than a publicity stunt.
    Urm,

Do you live in Hull?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)

i agree - it probably is but this isn't about the book it's about what everyone on here thinks

ReputationRep:
    Plymstock is horrific, take it from me.

ReputationRep:
    Chapel Town is a death trap. Go there alone if you are hard enough...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.