The Student Room Group

Higher Physics

I'm pretty sure I'm picking higher physics next year. Can someone tell me how much maths is in the course compared to SG?

I thought I heard higher physics was a little more maths based.

I know in SG physics there is a lot of concepts to learn but I'd prefer if it was more maths based tbh.

Thanks.

Also which is more challenging in your opinion, Higher Chemistry or Higher Physics?
Reply 1
There isn't too much maths involved. If you're good at algebra and have knowledge of basic trignometry and Pythagoras' theorem you should be okay!
Reply 2
There is maths in every topic but it is pretty much just punching stuff from the formula book in a calculator, some sections need a bit of working out though if I remember right.
Reply 3
Thanks. How enjoyable did everyone find it compared to SG?
Reply 4
Being able to use angles, formulas, pythagoras, graphs, triangles and very basic trig is all you really need to do.

I did Int 2 physics instead of SG, but in comparison I am finding higher more interesting and enjoyable. Mechanics and Radiation are really quite enjoyable and they go into more depth of course. I'm finding higher electronics easier than Int 2 to be honest xD
Reply 5
Blu3j4yw4y
Being able to use angles, formulas, pythagoras, graphs, triangles and very basic trig is all you really need to do.

I did Int 2 physics instead of SG, but in comparison I am finding higher more interesting and enjoyable. Mechanics and Radiation are really quite enjoyable and they go into more depth of course. I'm finding higher electronics easier than Int 2 to be honest xD

Cool thanks. :smile:
Reply 6
chemistry is hard depending what your teacher is like. i got a 1 at SG but am failing it atm. the main difference is physics is mainly equations and chemistry is fact based with a few equations. higher physics helps for unit 3 of chemistry and SG chem helps for unit 3 of physics.
Reply 7
Oh aye, I forgot the second part of the question.

I find Higher Chemistry a lot more difficult than Higher Physics, but then, my friend is the opposite :dontknow:

I like understanding how to do things, she likes learning facts. Depends what sort of person you are I suppose
I crashed physics this year and there's no difficult maths in it. Nothing beyond standard grade level, apart from vectors but it's VERY basic vectors (we covered it in physics before doing it in maths and nobody had any trouble). I can imagine if you're really bad and easily confused with numbers, it would be a bad subject choice, but it certainly doesn't require any special maths talent.

Re Physics v Chem, I'm doing both; personally prefer chemistry as I find it more enjoyable and interesting, but my higher prelim score was in physics, although it was a marginal difference so not really that important. But I did work harder for physics, although that was probably because I got a bit lost in parts and needed everything to click. Think it depends on the type of person you are really. Wouldn't say one is distinctly harder than the other. Do the one you enjoy more.
Reply 9
I agree with the others in saying there is no complicated maths. Higher Physics seemed a lot less interesting than SG, this might be because there was less practical and most of the questions were just manipulating formulas, though not much harder.

I preferred Chemistry because I have always preferred Chemistry! Less maths, more practical and generally more interesting. It depends on who you are which you like/find most challenging.
Reply 10
I didn't study SG physics but did Intermediate 2 in fourth year, aswell as SG Chemistry. At the time I preferred Chemistry, but this year I've really enjoyed Higher Physics and I'm hoping for an A. I found the course interesting, and easy to understand if you put a bit of work in. I'm picking Chemistry back up for Higher next year though, I've missed it.
tbh, i dont really think higher maths is required, i did int 2. it might seem like you need it at first but tbh, what you should be able to do is understand the questions, cause a lot of the questions are trick questions, you should also be able to re arrange and link formulas cause you'll have to use different formulas for certain questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending