The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology

anyone else doing it this year? Just looked at the specimen paper on the SQA site and I have to say it looks a bit of a bitch! Coming from someone who got an A(1) in Higher HumBio and is a bit of a bio sack :s-smilie: Investigation should be alright though but it's a lot of work already. Hmm, what a fab year I'm going to have!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im doing advanced higher biology and advanced higher chemistry and if i get my way advanced higher physics. My school has quite good results for the advanced higher biology and we've got a big class this year a whole 8 people lol bt almost evryone last year failed the advanced higher chemistry.
I'm doing AH chem as well as AH French and crash Higher Physics (woop). There's actually quite a few in my bio class, over 20 :s but hopefully some people should leave if they dont need it/do well in higher bio/human bio. I want the teacher to myself! lol, have you started planning your investigation yet?
Oh, also, what are people using as textbooks this year? I have Campbell's Biology 6th edition, but obviously it's way too much to learn and a large part isn't relevant. Are most people going to be learning from notes given in class? I hate not having a tb!
Reply 4
Hey, I'm doing advanced biology, as well as advanced chemistry, maths and art.. but what are you guys thinking of doing for biology/chemistry investigations? i don't have a clue!

Lots x :redface: X
For bio I'm doing something on DNA degradation i think, and for chemistry i'm not sure, hopefully something drug-related and not fecking catalyst activity lol.
Reply 6
i'm doing Advanced Biology this year too ..but you guys are way further ahead of me just by even considering your investigations. i have to do mine between October & Christmas break & so far have no idea where to even start coming up with ideas. Oh well. =/
im shooting for AAAA all at band 1 in AH MATHS, CHEM, PHYS AND BIO
latentcorpse
im shooting for AAAA all at band 1 in AH MATHS, CHEM, PHYS AND BIO

I thought you weren't doing AH maths? Thought I read that on the cam subforum... and I should think most people will be hoping for all A band 1s!
Reply 9
I did Advanced Higher last year and we had the Campells Biology textbook as well as a few others, but its not for the advanced hiogher course and is way more than you'll need. I mostly used the student monograph, scholar and class notes, I only really used the textbooks for my investigation. :smile:
yeah i had to pick the entire unit 1 ah maths course up in a weekend - what a bee'ach! still full marks in the NAB - not that that means anything - i hate how just 1 tiny error buggers the rest of the question up real nice
Reply 11
im doing ah biology this year too! its okay i guess, the animal behaviour and environment units are fine but the molecular biology is abit harder. using the huge campells textbook for some random stuff but mostly using student monographs and the little scholar booklets!

got ages left for biology investigations, we'r going to start them after christmas! BUT our teachers are making us think of our titles.... thinking something about enzymes (not sure yet)

goin to the zoo on wednesday! can't wait, havn't been for ages!

--------------

oh yea... another thing!!

when is everyone getting their prelims? mines is in march! (i think) :smile:
Reply 12
I'm doing Advanced Biology and Chemistry, and I just can't absorb a thing.
The projects are easy enough, and I'm hoping to get a good mark. Please,
does anyone know the best way to revise? Everyone in my class says
"Oh I can't do it, I'm going to fail." Yeah right. Those are the ones that got
AAAAA last year. Please help, I need to pass a unit! :confused:
£K22

Do you have the student monographs for bio? They're helpful - pretty concise. Scholar's excellent too. I find mind maps quite helpful when revising, maybe give them ago? Let me know how you get on x
Reply 14
friendlyneutron
Do you have the student monographs for bio? They're helpful - pretty concise. Scholar's excellent too. I find mind maps quite helpful when revising, maybe give them ago? Let me know how you get on x

Yeah I use mind maps, I put all the learning outcomes on one bit of paper
filled with colour and cartoons. Quite helpful, and the teacher was impressed!
£K22

I thought your grades last year were absolutely rubbish and u thought u had ruined your chances of getting into VetMed?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=181522
jaird.88
I thought your grades last year were absolutely rubbish and u thought u had ruined your chances of getting into VetMed?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=181522

No need to be nasty - what does that have to do with her finding AH Bio hard?
friendlyneutron
No need to be nasty - what does that have to do with her finding AH Bio hard?

I think jaird.88 misread £K22's post, and thought she'd said she had 5 As when in fact she was talking about OTHERS who had 5 As...
My bad. Very sorry
Reply 19
It's quite alright. Mind you, I've got some serious revision over the xmas
hols to do. How on earth will I manage? I mean, who wants to revise when
there are always mince pies to scoff? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending