The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
British mostly think they're the richest country in the world, second to America. It's Italians who complain the most, the average Italian standard of living isn't much different to the UK, yet most of them act as if they live in a thid world country.
Reply 21
draikzer
Get what through my head? That you're comparing people who complain to people dying in africa? Or that you're saying their complaining is belittling the suffering?

Yet you are complaining anyway?

Hurr Durr.

COMPARISON.

For crying out loud. :rolleyes:
If your reputation here in Oz as being 'whinging Poms' is anything to go by, then yeah... I'd say you should stop complaining too much when you're overseas! :wink:

x
Reply 23
Tbf this isn't unique to Britain, I have observed it in other countries too. It just seems worse because British people in general have a very self-deprecating and dry sense of humour. People in general like to moan and complain, be it over not getting 2 square meals a day or because mummy and daddy won't buy that new toy.
How do you know when English people are on a plane?

The engine stops but the whining continues xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSu6hFkdIdQ

0:40 onwards. It's a good thing.
Reply 26
So how exactly will removing Britishness help the starving kiddies ?
How about you stop complaining. Jesus.
Reply 28
danni_bella
If your reputation here in Oz as being 'whinging Poms' is anything to go by, then yeah... I'd say you should stop complaining too much when you're overseas! :wink:

x

If anything Australians have the biggest chip on their shoulder.
ak56
If anything Australians have the biggest chip on their shoulder.
Mate, most of us don't which is why you don't hear us complaining :wink:

The ones that do, they're not really Australian :biggrin: Haha.
Evil Monkey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSu6hFkdIdQ

0:40 onwards. It's a good thing.

I was thinking of posting the exact same clip as soon a I saw the topic title. Amazing stand up.. And hits the nail xactly on the head as far as this thread topic is concerned. X
ish90an
Tbf this isn't unique to Britain, I have observed it in other countries too. It just seems worse because British people in general have a very self-deprecating and dry sense of humour. People in general like to moan and complain, be it over not getting 2 square meals a day or because mummy and daddy won't buy that new toy.

exactly... Our humour rips ourselves apart. We take the piss ou of everything, it's just our culture. If u actually stop and point out the complaining Brit stereotype many ppl will hold their hands ip and say u kno what ur right but they will always have a"but..." and have a lil moan about something.

It's like our view toward our football team...
"I hope we win... But we won't" it's like we want to see us failjust so we can sit and moan some more.
never say
People in the UK have it really good compared to most countries yet,they do not see it.Most people,if not all,have food,a roof over their head and clothes to cover their backs.There is the social security to help those that fall on hard times,the nhs,free schooling,child welfare and even a set minimum wage to protect from exploitation.The wages are fair and reasonable so people can have a decent standard of living.The crime rate is lower compared to other countries(police don't even have to carry guns),efficient councils(they clean the streets),emergency services and the works.

I have been around a bit and i consider this a very privileged country.It might not be perfect and has it's short comings but it sure is miles ahead of most.It might have once been great,courtesy of resources raped and pillaged from former colonies,but it is still prosperous.Compare it to all the third world countries where the people "just get on with it", and even seem much more happier and hospitable compared to the British,who are forever stressed and complaining of one thing or another.Sometimes i just wonder,can't this people see how fortunate they are ?
So what do you think ?

Are you complaining?
Reply 33
We moan so much about how bad Gordon Brown is at his job etc etc but at the end of the day things could be a lot worse. We could be without democracy.
ak56
British mostly think they're the richest country in the world, second to America. It's Italians who complain the most, the average Italian standard of living isn't much different to the UK, yet most of them act as if they live in a thid world country.

Remember, they have a reason to complain.

Also, Italians are generally fiery and pumped up about everything, it's only to be expected that they make great complainers too :p:

I think that our complaining is part of what makes us British. It's part of that drive for perfection and ingenuity that has dominated many parts of British life - complaining is a natural feedback mechanism within society and helps us to improve the country and the world. The collective humour of the UK is one of picking apart our flaws and having a laugh at ourselves, and without complaining that wouldn't be possible. Given the fantastic reputation of British comedy abroad, we would be doing ourselves a disservice by trying to complain less.
I totally agree with you, compared to other countries the UK is sooo so lucky, yet you dont see it.
All you see is yobs hanging around streets and terrorising little old ladies.
Considering everything we have, we should be strong together and get along well with everyone.
Yet you dont see that anywhere.
Its a completely different culture to what it should be.
I love the irony of this thread.
I agree with OP.
Reply 38
draikzer
Agreed. Like someone said. If an unskilled Polish man who can't speak English, gets a job over you... then really. You're doing something wrong.

Well seen as Mrs. Harmann had this absolute brainwave and came in with the Equality Laws that are possibly the worst idea since s**t sandwiches, companies were given a gentle nudge into hiring "minorites" as to reflect a more balanced workforce, regardless of skill, to reflect Britain's "wonderful" multicultural nature. If not they would be subect to auditors.

And the fact is, if you are brought up believing that the state will pay for everything then why get off your ass and work? It's what the majority of the third worlders do, which taxpayers have to fund.
But I like compalining :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending